Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Motorcraft Super Duty 15w-40 UOA results

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Motorcraft Super Duty 15w-40 UOA results

Well, after years of using nothing but Rotella T, I decided to give Motorcraft oil a try. No particular reason other than it's less expensive at Walmart and comes in a more convenient 5 qt jug (so I only have to buy 3 for each change...). So far to date I have not ever had to add any oil between changes so that extra qt left over while using Rotella has been the odd man out.

From what I can tell, the Motorcraft performs about (or almost exactly) the same as Rotella T. I noticed the viscosity is a bit lower with this last batch but it's also been a very hot summer and I did have two hard pulls with a 16.5k lb trailer on this oil (about 1500 miles towing) so I think everything balances out ok.

I would like to ask for some info from anyone who has been sending their oil out for analysis. This would really help me with some potentially planned purchases/upgrades that I am pondering....

For those with A.I.S.: What sort of silicon numbers have you been seeing in PPM and how long between oil changes?

For those with a Lube Oil Bypass System: What sort of soot % are you seeing and how long between oil changes?

Appreciate the responses.

UOA attached (2 pages)....

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
276k miles 8-11-11 ALS FTE.pdf (189.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been using the Motorcraft oil as well. It does provide different results when testing with analysis. I have also installed a by-pass filter on mine ( after these results ). Truck now has about 3k on the oil and appears to be mostly clear with just a little dark tinge to it. Far better than running It without the by-pass system.

Here are my results between Delo and Motorcraft

Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Thanks Ken,
Is that a Blackstone report? Looks like they don't check soot levels? I wonder how important that is?
I read a paper that talked about soot and it makes it sound like it could be a problem in elevated quantities. I also read that oil bypass systems can substantially lower (or even eliminate) soot so I am curious to see some oil sample reports from engines with the bypass filters to see how effective they might be in controlling soot. I've looked at our fleet reports and the soot levels are about the same as what I am seeing but those engines are different so I'm not comparing apples to apples at the moment...

Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, that is a Blackstone report. I am thinking insolubles is what yours calls soot.

I have been impressed with the filtration difference in my by-pass, just by looks.

I should have looked you up when I was in Mesa recently. Spent a week down there testing and airplane out. We stayed at a hotel by The Bass Pro Shops store.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
Thanks Ken,
Is that a Blackstone report? Looks like they don't check soot levels? I wonder how important that is?
I read a paper that talked about soot and it makes it sound like it could be a problem in elevated quantities. I also read that oil bypass systems can substantially lower (or even eliminate) soot so I am curious to see some oil sample reports from engines with the bypass filters to see how effective they might be in controlling soot. I've looked at our fleet reports and the soot levels are about the same as what I am seeing but those engines are different so I'm not comparing apples to apples at the moment...
No bypass can eliminate soot, the vast majority of it is sub-1 micron and so long as it doesn't agglomerate, it isn't the biggest thing to freak out about. That being said a good bypass will filter the soot that does agglomerate into 2-3micron plus size out of the oil. You mentioned plugging a 16.5k trailer and in the summer that will cause the HPOP to work harder and put a bit more soot in the oil. All in all I have never heard anything bad about the MC oil. It will be interesting to see what Ford does now ConcoPhilips is no longer one company.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
bluescrew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive run the motorcraft for the last 2 years!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by woodnthings
Yeah, that is a Blackstone report. I am thinking insolubles is what yours calls soot.

I have been impressed with the filtration difference in my by-pass, just by looks.

I should have looked you up when I was in Mesa recently. Spent a week down there testing and airplane out. We stayed at a hotel by The Bass Pro Shops store.
Ouch! A week in Mesa during August....that couldn't be much fun. Well, to be fair, it was hot all over the country this year. Yeah, it would have been great to get together and have a drink while you were in town. Next time give me a call and I'll help you test out airplanes. Although I won't have much to say other than it flies or doesn't...

I believe a lube oil bypass system is in my future...

Originally Posted by rufushusky
No bypass can eliminate soot, the vast majority of it is sub-1 micron and so long as it doesn't agglomerate, it isn't the biggest thing to freak out about. That being said a good bypass will filter the soot that does agglomerate into 2-3micron plus size out of the oil. You mentioned plugging a 16.5k trailer and in the summer that will cause the HPOP to work harder and put a bit more soot in the oil. All in all I have never heard anything bad about the MC oil. It will be interesting to see what Ford does now ConcoPhilips is no longer one company.
Thanks for the input.

The only thing I noticed different with the MC oil was that my engine appeared to be noisier (more diesel cackle sound...) Seemed quieter on the Rotella but then again it was during the summer. I am sure that ambient temp makes a difference in how these engines sound so I'll stick with the MC for the rest of the year or perhaps even longer.

Did you happen to notice the new test item on my latest lab report called "PQ Index"? I called up ALS and they said it was something new they were offering in their package. They call it Particle Quantifier Index and it has something do do with the size of particles in the oil sample and how that is a good double check against the spectroscopically derived readings.

Have you ever heard of PQ index before? This was a new one for me.
Here is a link to the ALS site where they talk about it in more detail (bottom of sheet)
ALS Tribology | Tribology Laboratory Testing | Wear Debris Analysis

I will also attach a paper from a different source that explains PQ Index more specifically and gives an example of how the reading is useful when analyzing the entire batch of results.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WC-PQ-ANALYSIS.pdf (196.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For those with A.I.S.: What sort of silicon numbers have you been seeing in PPM and how long between oil changes?
3-4 PPM running an AIS. 3 PPM at 3k interval and 4 PPM at 5K interval.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
3-4 PPM running an AIS. 3 PPM at 3k interval and 4 PPM at 5K interval.
Thanks Robin. So, my K&N isn't doing too bad with PPM in the 5-7 range and almost 6k intervals....

Still, maybe a A.I.S. would be nice. I don't really like how the factory airbox lid is only secured by two clamps. Looks like the A.I.S. has 4 clamps, correct?

(I wonder if I can find a way to add some more clamps to my factory box...)

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
RainStroked
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Robin. So, my K&N isn't doing too bad with PPM in the 5-7 range and almost 6k intervals....

Still, maybe a A.I.S. would be nice. I don't really like how the factory airbox lid is only secured by two clamps. Looks like the A.I.S. has 4 clamps, correct?

(I wonder if I can find a way to add some more clamps to my factory box...)
Yea the AIS has 4 clamps. It's definitely quiet, and supposed to filter the best, I like mine becuase I don't want to worry about water intrusion with an open element, and the AIS looks stock. My intake tube always stays spotless with the AIS.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My truck has run MC since new.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Greg,

If you go with an AIS consider adding a fender sleeve as an additional inlet. I went this route.

Puredieselpower Fender Sleeve

Install Instructions

DIY sleeve would be easy if you have access to the foam.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oil

I have run the Motorcraft in my truck on and off since the truck was new. Seems ok to me and i noticed that it doesnt seem to get black as fast as some other oils. I allways thought i was one of the few people who actually use it on the site.