Sponsored by: Moser

Ford and Toyota joint venture?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
Ford and Toyota joint venture?

Has anyone else heard about a joint venture between Ford and Toyota to make some sort of hybrid truck? I caught the tail end of a story on the news earlier this evening, but I can't find any info about it online.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
And more info here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...a-team-up.html

Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was in the news today in my local paper in the business section. I wish Ford would bag the hybrid truck idea and move on the diesel option, myself. I would hate to have to replace the battery on a Hybrid vehicle at $3000 a pop. GM already tried a hybrid 1/2 ton pick up and the performance and mileage were disappointing and not worth the extra cost. I think it's just a gimmick to please the treehuggers that won't work out very well in the end.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It's as sad day when Ford teams up with those granny killing, cover-up artist.
It still irks me to no end how they put pride (inability to admit failure) and money over innocent peoples lives! Not just the idiots who bought their products, but everyone else out on the road that they put at risk. Now Ford is in bed with them? unbelievable.
These tree huggers don't realize how ungreen it is to produce the batteries and such for the "green" Prius As well as the coal ash produced to charge electric cars.

I will step down off of my anti-Toyota soapbox now and return you to previously scheduled thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want to see diesel-electric

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
It was in the news today in my local paper in the business section. I wish Ford would bag the hybrid truck idea and move on the diesel option, myself. I would hate to have to replace the battery on a Hybrid vehicle at $3000 a pop. GM already tried a hybrid 1/2 ton pick up and the performance and mileage were disappointing and not worth the extra cost. I think it's just a gimmick to please the treehuggers that won't work out very well in the end.
I mostly agree.

A 2011 GMC Sierra Hybrid is rated at 20city/23highway. I am fairly easily getting upwards of 18 city with my 2011 5.0L FX4 F-150. And a solid 21.5mpg highway ''at 70mph'' I know that my trucks only rated at 14city/19highway, but I am impressed that with the right driving habits I can achieve close to the GM hybrids mileage figures, all the while driving a less expensive and much more capable truck.

Honestly though...A small diesel is out of the question to...Even if one of the automakers brings a small diesel to the US the government will ruin it. After its done passing all of their emission tests and mandates they will require it to undergo it'll add 10grand to the MSRP and it'll get crappy fuel mileage because of all the emission control equipment it'll have.

Another problem with diesels in general is this...Most of the public is relatively ignorant towards engines. I've learned that most people today still think of diesels as smoke belching, slow, noisy engines...Put in the general publics eye a gas engine is seen as faster,quiter,cheaper,cleaner...Even if its not entirely true...That's how many people see it. Diesels sell well with the H.D crowd because people who buy Superdutys generally have towed heavy loads before and they know that the pro's of owning a diesel in that instance outweigh the con's. Buyers of trucks the F-150's size and smaller though are generally more ignorant about that kind of thing. So if or if not a diesel engine will sell well with the F-150 crowd is still a question mark.

I was really hoping that if hybrids are going to be the next big thing in the truck world that it would be the hydraulic set up…vs the gas/electric set up.

(See Link for Hydraulic hybrid F-150 here.)
Ford F-150 Used to Develop 40 MPG Hydraulic Hybrid Powertrain - PickupTrucks.com News

My question in all of this is as follows...Are Ford and Toyota planning for their 1/2 ton trucks to be exclusively hybrids? Or are they just going to expand their hybrid lineup and still keep non-hybrids available?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Hyundai and Kia are using the latest and greatest direct injected engines available and they are achieving some awesome mpg and performance numbers.

I think for any car maker to continue with hybrid exploration is, they are throwing resources in the wrong direction.

GTDI is the best overall solution IMHO and not because I have one but because it's proven to work and net better numbers than GM's heavier Hybrids.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Hyundai and Kia are using the latest and greatest direct injected engines available and they are achieving some awesome mpg and performance numbers.

I think for any car maker to continue with hybrid exploration is, they are throwing resources in the wrong direction.

GTDI is the best overall solution IMHO and not because I have one but because it's proven to work and net better numbers than GM's heavier Hybrids.
Is the US government going to let that happen though? It seems like they're regulating the ***** out of diesels preventing future development.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by OmahaEcoBoost
Is the US government going to let that happen though? It seems like they're regulating the ***** out of diesels preventing future development.

GTDI
Gas Turbo Direct Injection, hence, our Ecoboosts. Small diesels will be handicapped for ever as I see it.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The EPA is doing a good job of putting this country out of business. I agree that we need some regulation, but how clean are these new heavy duty trucks when they are choked down with all of this crap these days. They use more fuel and urea, or whatever that urine stuff is, that they inject in the system. It seems to me that a higher mpg means less exhaust emissions in the long run.
Another example is the diesel Jetta. The European model gets about 65mpg while the same choked down model over here gets about 45mpg. Seems to me in my simple little mind that if it gets 20mpg more, 2 65mpg, it can't be polluting very much at all.
This is the same reason that so much manufacturing has gone to China because of the choking over regulation of the EPA and they must be stopped before we become the United States of China!!!
Direct injection is good, but still has some long term bugs to be worked out.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I echo Jimmy's sentiments. The power that the EPA has needs to scaled way back if this country is ever going to be great again. And I might also add that the auto industry has been the prime target from the beginning while the big corporate polluters have basically been untouched. The utility companies and big corporations have polluted more than the the automobile. And while we all would like better fuel economy and more power, mandating the currently proposed MPG standards has been impulsive and arbitrary without much thought as whether it's practical or without any thought given to the cost to the consumer.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
djhoosier
Trailering
Great...now, not only abuse about Fix Or Repair Daily...but I can hear it now.."hey did you hear the one about the Ford and Toyota ? One you could NOT stop and the other you couldn't get started ! " from all the haters...

Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
cwj99
Freshman User
Ford - Toyota Hybrid Partnership

For a company so concerned about its image, trumping 'no bailouts" etc, then do this!

Dont see how this helps image at all, I think Ford should and could have done this inhouse and create new jobs here, were a sending our children to college and there are enough smart minds here to do the job! not sub it out!

Oh I know the beancounters are going to trump the status quo in that this will cut cost, and speed up the process, been there and done that enough!!!!! Thy sure dont mind charging $8,000 plus for the new 6.7 powerstroke do they?

This just weakens the Ford Brand and image, while I give credit to Alan Mualally for a great job in getting Ford through the rough times, the job is not finished, and his product team is showing weakness, killing Mercury, Ranger pickup, rear wheel drive Lincolns, seems his weakness is he is a big fan of Toyota, and we seem to be heading that way! He is good at closing plants and cutting cost!

Mualally is big on ONE FORD, then let that include 'inhouse' work just like the 6.7 Diesel!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM
cjay84
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if i wanted a toyota i would move to japan. i like the F-150 battle axe
the way it is.....FORD...READ MY LIPS.....NO NEW AXES !!!!!

Quick Reply: Ford and Toyota joint venture?