longer cranking w/ wvo installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
longer cranking w/ wvo installed

Hows it goin guys...i'm hav'n an issue, and in hopes, you guys can steer me the right way. Breakdown of system....in a box in back of truck, wvo flow is....tank, pump, filter, CV, mcmaster 4-manifold..(purge from 1-port), FPHE, TIH down frame, manifold in valley, split to d/s rear and p/s head. Valley manifold has f/p and temp senders..(pics in album).

D2 side is stock except for CV's on factory fuel lines at heads..(d/s front, p/s rear ports).

When cycling GP'S, D2 f/p gauge reads 70psi..(located on post fuel bowl), all the time. The wvo f/p gauge will read 60-ish psi. Heres the problem. As soon as i fire truck up (which now takes 5-7sec of cranking..get to that later), D2 reads 70psi, but wvo side reads 85-90psi???? When..(still have diesel in wvo tank for checking of leaks) switching wvo pump on, and shut'n off D2 pump, wvo f/p gauge reads 85-90psi??? Pump suppose to be pre-set at 75psi. Have another one coming for this problem also, minor leak. Anyway, most of wvo lines from tank to valley manifold are aluminum tubing. About 3ft at most (cut pieces to join aluminum tubingtogether) are 100+ rated bio hose.

Any of you see same readings while on D2 to start off, on your wvo f/p gauge?

Now, for the long cranking to fire...NEVER had been the case. Truck would pop off within 1-3sec, period. Now, its almost unbareable...(5-8sec). IF, i fire truck up, then shut off real quick, w/out purging (releasing pressure in heads and wvo system), truck will pop right off within the 1-3sec of cranking. But with purge to relieve pressure in system, seems like, NO MATTER how long i cycle the pump, to build pressure in system, IT still takes the 5-8 sec.

What you guys think may be goin on?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated here...its upsetting ,but + note, was that no leaks ANYWHERE but the pump..

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
coincidental.., but think i found my hard-start issue. HPOP was low along with atleast an inch low then "add mark" on dipstip.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Sounds like the old 'fuel pressure spikes' may be an issue for you. The problem is split-shot injectors can allow some injection-pressure fuel back into the rails - especially if the injectors have some wear on them. We see the slow-start condition on quite a few conversions when folks just do the CV's on the factory lines. I've always thought that trapped air was a contributor in these partial installs, but it could be more.

Where are the fuel pressure senders? What kind are you using? (elect/mechanical? Brand?)

Where is your VO-side CV?

What kind of pump and FPR?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Thanks for response Jason.. Seems to come/go as it pleases. You'd think, sitting overnight would be the hardest of all starts, but not the case. Let the gp's cycle (until led light goes off) and BAM, fires off within a second. But during the day, it does the 3-5sec start up. Right now, i'm on D2 only. I'm using the FRx to supply the heads w/ WVO..(d/s rear, and p/s front ports). Pump i'm rock'n is the WVODESIGNS pump, regulated at 75psi. I do however have a pressure relief on a manifold, inside the box..(pics in album).

With wvo filtering at the moment along with collecting oil now, i went back to the FRx set-up, but CV's are in place...d/s rear, p/s front. I have a switch for D2 pump, so, with cv's in place, before shutting truck down, i hit switch, dump the pressure and then turn offtruck.

Went as far as replacing oil, hoping for better results, but not stoked.

I have a manifold located in the valley of the motor, with temp and pressure senders. Leon sent me new pump and installed yesterday, but yet have tried. Making batch now, so will convert FRx back to supplying wvo to heads.

Ya though, this hard start'n crap sux. Not used to it. Trucks' ALWAYS fired off withi the 1-2sec range, even in winter...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
dunno, when i had re-installed the "T" for the FRx, while my wvo system was down, truck would fire up within the 1-2sec range. Now, with wvo installed (using the FRx lines to feed heads), it went back to the 4-6sec range of firing.

Brainstorming on my set-up, seems as though, if i can dead-head both systems, it should fire up no problems. Not gonna do the 4-C.V. route (no release for pressure in head), but isolate my wvo pump to feed both D2 and veggie, by the way of 2-3way valves...got it drawn up ,and looks like it should work great, with the addition of my D2 being a "spare", but still "live" if needed activated.

Parts wise, think its worth the addional 200 buks at most, to convert plus, my pump has a 5yr warranty, might as well use the shiat outta it.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I'm not sure I followed all of that, but it sounds more complicated than it needs to be...

Do you have a purge valve that allows you to bypass VO CV and return to VO tank?

I think you are getting some trapped air in your system. I have 3 friends who very recently had the same symptoms as you are describing after doing 'partial' system installs - specifically JUST adding CV's to the factory lines and maybe tapping the test ports and running those lines to a capped tee. After they finished installing system, problem went away. In one case, the CV's were left in after removing system - removing CV's fixed it...

My dually is set up like this:

VO tank to pre-filter, stock-type PSD pump, FPR, VO filter, CV, (tee) and then to the heads - opposite the stock fuel lines. The other side of that tee goes to purge solenoid and allows me to bypass the CV, fliter, etc and return to the VO tank for FAST purge. My diesel-side is all stock except for CV's at the heads.

My whole conversion cost less than wvo's pump...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Your VO is basically my set-up as well....VO tank, pump, filter, CV on manifold (your T), FPHE, TIH along frame, manifold in valley, split to heads. Off the manifold inside box (CV located), splits to purge. Like you, fast purging.

D2 side is completely stock besides the CV's on D2 factory lines at heads.

Take a gander at my wvo album, all my items are consumed in the box (CA smog for the reason all items in box). I cant see where/why i'm havingthis issue, unless i'm purging way too long.

My idea is this...3-way between VO and D2, pump, 3-way, (split d2/vo to respective lines), vo filter, fphe, tih, manifold in valley, split to heads....D2 side will be off tank..3-way(to feed the d2 pump if vo pump craps out), pre-pump filter, D2 pump, C.V., manifold (with CV inline off the 3-way after VO pump), filter bowl, split to heads....gonna snap pic of drawing and post to album....

Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Alright, pics up, but not purdy...i'm a tweeker..LOL