Supercab owners with door rattles... possible FIX - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Supercab owners with door rattles... possible FIX

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation

I've had my share of door rattles over the years, and even did the mod to make the bottom rear-door striker adjustable. Even put plastic tubing inside the weather stripping to make the door more solid, but over the years, it's gotten worse, to the point where I hit a bump and the front doors move so much the mirrors shook like crazy.

I could grab the middle of the rear door while it's latched shut, push and pull, and the bottom of the door would move about 1/4-1/2".

So, yesterday I decided to take a closer look at the problem, figuring I could put a rubber stop somewhere possibly.

Come to find out, there is a spot weld at the bottom front of the rear door, and on BOTH of mine, they were broken. The inner shell of the door had separated from the outer, at the bottom, and the result was that the bottom latch was moving independently from the center front-door latch.

The spot weld on the inner shell had ripped out of the outer shell, leaving a hole in the outer shell that was off-center from the spot weld on the inner.

The fix:

Using a c-clamp and some paper towels to cushion it, I compressed the door shells so that the spot-weld was back to center. There is a rubber plug on the outer shell, which I used to locate the c-clamp. It didn't take a lot of pressure, so the c-clamp was apt to fall off while drilling, so be careful.

I drilled a 1/16" hole directly in the middle of the spot weld, as a pilot hole. The spot weld is some pretty tough metal, so use a good drill bit.

Next, I went up to a 1/4" drill, and drilled again. Use a file or some other means to deburr the hole. Be careful not to disturb the paint.

I had a small bottle of touch-up paint from A.R.E. when they painted my cap/topper to match my paint code, so I used that to paint the bare metal in the hole.

Installed a 1/4" thread Phillips-head stainless bolt, some stainless washers and a nylock nut, and tested the door fit. NICE!

Cleaned up the bolt head with some degreaser, waited to dry, and applied more touch-up paint to the head of the bolt, and I can hardly even see it unless I'm looking for it.

Results: HEAVEN. Every bump I hit, the doors used to shake. The mirrors shook. Everything in the cab shook, because the doors moving so much made the rest of the cab shake.

Some pics below of the screw/bolt head showing. The dirt is a lot worse looking than it is in real life My cell-phone camera flash really brought up the dirt

Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Great job Art! If you didn't know any better, it looks like it was that way from the factory. In fact, until I read your write-up, I wasn't sure what to look for in the picture.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by powerstroke72 View Post
In fact, until I read your write-up, I wasn't sure what to look for in the picture.
The touch-up paint on the screw heads makes it almost impossible to tell there's anything there.

What's amazing is, driving into work today, how much of a difference it's made overall. I thought the Rancho 9000xl's I just got in the front weren't doing much to control the front-end. Wrong. It was the doors moving causing the entire CAB to shake.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
drey04 has a great reputation on FTE.drey04 has a great reputation on FTE.drey04 has a great reputation on FTE.drey04 has a great reputation on FTE.drey04 has a great reputation on FTE.
Good work. Nice and clean. Mine have broken too and are rattling a bit... looks like that should do the trick!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Eatonpcat has a great reputation on FTE.Eatonpcat has a great reputation on FTE.Eatonpcat has a great reputation on FTE.Eatonpcat has a great reputation on FTE.
That looks like a good fix!!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Thanks guys... I tried to keep the hole at exactly 1/4" so the two pieces of metal couldn't slide against each other too much, but the friction between the two pieces, and the washers I used that have raised edges biting into the metal should keep that from happening. I painted BOTH sides with the touch-up paint, by the way, just in case the washer bit down into the paint and exposed any bare metal, and the paint was still wet in the hole when I tightened it down.

I think it'll do the trick for years to come. I bought this thing brand new off the lot in June 2002, manufactured in Oct 2000, so we're coming up on 11 years old. The way it looks underneath, unless something horrible happens, I think I've got another 10-15 years before any major rust happens. And that's living in the rust belt. We'll see...

Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I cannot see "Attached Images" on any posts. What's the deal?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Dunno... are you at work or some other place that restricts pics?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jc8825 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I can see photos if they are hosted on another site, but I can't see the attached photos that are posted on this site by supporters. I am not at work, but on my home computer that I always use, and this is a new occurrence. I will restart and see if that helps.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
ottawaair
New User
ottawaair is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks good. Nice fix.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reps, people...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
mac48370
Freshman User
mac48370 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine broke on the bottom side of the door....I will be fixing this tomorrow!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
After commuting back and forth to work this week, I kinda got used to it already

But it's still a pleasure to NOT see the mirrors vibrating like crazy over every bump I hit.

I hate to think about what would have happened to the structure of the rear doors if I left it that way long enough...

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Nice! I would rep you but the rep police won't let me.

I really, really need to go do this on my truck.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Are the spot welds really broken on your doors too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercab owners with door rattles... possible FIX

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.