1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Suggestions for painting vintage license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for painting vintage license plate

I have a vintage license plate(1953) that I need to paint due to rust and flaking paint. I already painted it gloss black with Rustoleum, but now I'm stuck on how best to paint the #'s, lettering, and border. I'm thinking that what I really need to do is paint all of this (#'s, lettering, etc) first and then get the super thin masking tape and mask it all off and then reshoot the background(black). My other thought is to use a foam brush or maybe roller to paint all of the raised surfaces. Anybody have any experience doing this? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Will it be for use only for car shows, or as your regular plate?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Does it have to be painted? I saw a plate in an antique shop that had been blasted until it was bare metal and that looked great. I wouldn't mind stripping the color off of mine. I haven't looked into if the state would allow it that way.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
searching on folks using DIY, they use both approaches.. but background first, and letters second seems to be the most used. but requires a steady hand of course.

Sam

Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Tom,if I was going to display it as my every-day plate,I'd have it done professionally,there are many places to get it done.My state has a Year of Manufacture program allowing you to re-register a DMV clear plate to your vehicle.I've done this,and you want it restored correctly (indistinguishable to an officer)as it could cause problems if pulled over.

For occasional car show display,you'd not need to worry much.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
jat4
Freshman User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto what others have said--in New York state, if you use a vintage plate as your regular, everyday plate, it cannot be repainted. We actually send a color photograph of the plate(s) in its "as is" condition prior to registering the car for that plate number.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

I don't mean to thread-jack,but....

This is what some have done, and I intend to do:

Order a set of reproduction plates.They are made of aluminum,and are of course not legal.Then,send my correct/legal/unrestored plates (one at a time) to a restorer.Display the "fake" plates on my daily driven truck,but keeping the real McCoys in truck with me.In the outside chance I'm ever pulled over, AND if the young officer were to be smart enough to recognize an incorrect plate, I'm hoping that showing him the real ones will not get me a citation.Actually,I've been driving around for about five years now without even displaying the little tabs with correct stickers.Had many LEO's behind me,never got busted.I'm amassing a collection of unused California "year" stickers.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm also running a YOM plate on my 49. I first checked with the special plate department of my DMV to confirm that these number were not in conflict with any current plate in use. Then I had to take my plate in to the DMV and have them check the plate to match colors and condition... With all this done and the way my truck is I'm thinking about building a rollpan that fits the 49 plate since it's larger then Arizona's current plates..

I am planning on having it professionally repainted. You can see mine in my album... or let me know and I can post it here... Good luck...

Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Spray the color of the numbers, state, year, etc first. Then spray the background color. Carefully wet sand the second color off to reveal the first color.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
All of the above are good suggestions and probably the proper way to do it. But I will tell you about a trick my old man used to paint hubcaps and miss all the elaborate chrome on them. He would get some grease and very carefully coat the part he wanted to protect with his finger. Then he spray painted the rest, let it dry well, wiped off the grease, and viola. Our 78 LTD was constantly losing hubcaps and we couldn't always find the pretty blue ones. One of my early lessons in redneck engineering.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
In Washington, we are allowed and encouraged to use restored, original plates. Aftermarket replacements are verboten. Having to tools and talent to restore the plates myself, I've done several. But I never had the steady hand to do the lettering. I do the bodywork and spray the base color, then have a pin striper hand letter the details. I've tried the roller trick and the brush trick, but it never turned out satisfactory for me. I've always been curious to know what the procedure is for painting them in prison. But not curious enough to go there. lol

Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I've read discussions on using ground glass to get a sparkly finish for body paint, I would think this would get the license plate the sparkle of original plates.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I've always been curious to know what the procedure is for painting them in prison.
Check back with me in 18-24 mos., I'll tell you how it's done.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
lorolr
Senior User
I've done a couple by stripping to bare metal then spraying the color of the numbers with several heavy coats then spraying the background color with a very light coat to just cover uniformly. Let dry a few days then use rubbing compound to expose the number color. You can use a pink eraser held flat with compound on it for the small lettering and border. I will then clear coat.Helps to mount the plate on a board for stability.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never tried this, but it seems to me that the way the original plates are made is to paint the background first and then paint the raised letters with a very short bristle roller. The key would be the quality of the short bristle roller your using. As an aid, I would cut out a window box of corregated card board to allow the letters to just rise proud of the surface. This would keep the roller at a uniform height as it passed over the letters. To facilitate a steady work area, I would suggest screwing the cardboard and the plate to the workbench.

If you don't want to go to this much trouble, then I would suggest, as mentioned earlier, to buy after-market plates and carry the originals under the seat. Good luck, Jag

Quick Reply: Suggestions for painting vintage license plate