1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New truck, I have my work cut out

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Taylortd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck, I have my work cut out

I posted a few weeks ago about a truck I was looking to buy, well, I brought it home the other night! It's a little rough around the edges, I will post pics as soon as I have enough posts. The first thing I started messing with was the drivers door, it won't open from the inside, the previous owner told me he had replaced the handle and had to weld the door where the handle bolts to. I take off the door panel and was quite suprised... he did a GREAT job on the weld, it looked very nice, so I latched the door and pulled the cable and the door unlatches, what I found was the actual door handle actuator?? not sure what to call it, but the rivet hole it pivots in was bored out/wore out, to the point it won't pull the cable enough to unlatch the door, So I think no problem, I will just buy one online...WRONG, I can buy any part of the door except that one, so I check Ford's part site and all they have is the left side for $40, I'm ok with that, I don't live close to a good salvage yard, so I call them and ask for the right side...well that one is $200!!! it's the whole assembly. My brother in law knows a guy parting out a 95 econoline, so I hope it's the same. If not I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a whole door or something, the opening the door through the window gets old fast, but I do like the turbo whine with the windows down. I need to get my post up so I can post pics!! I'm off to replace the carrier bearing aka drive line support bearing, what ever you want to call it.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
I kind of have the same problem. i bought my truck about a month ago online and i didnt see till i bought it that the passanger door didnt have a handle. i thought ill just go buy a handle and replace it. Nope... it wont open from the out side either. so i took the screws on the plastic piece around the door. but i cant get the one screw right where the door and the dash meet. so i can only pull the plastic door cover so far. and i cant open the latch to replace it.

But if you know a guy who has like 94 to 97 f series truck or even a ford van. dont quote me but the door handles and latches may be the same. i got a 96 and picked up some doors from a 93 i scraped and they have the same door system.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Could you just tighten up the cable That goes to the lever a hair. Wat went out in your carryer bearing? Was it the bearing itself or did that rubber piece get pushed out of the housing

Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Taylortd
Junior User
I'm pretty sure the van door will work, but if it goes like my carrier bearing is going I pulled out my front drive shaft, and discovered my U joints need replaced, they aren't horrible, but not good, no big deal, I got my old bearing off with some grinding, hammer, and punch style, greased the new one and mine is a little bigger than my new one! it's to late to take it back... well, I guess I'll have to re-group tomorrow. I've even read about how there are different sizes! Oh well I'm not going to vegas anytime soon. Thanks for the input Leemakesmepee

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Taylortd
Junior User
As far as the handle goes I thought about tightening the cable, but when I was looking at the hinge part, the pivot rivet looks like it's ready to fall through the hole, I thought about trying to take it apart and weld and grind the whole back to normal, but the thing is all pressed together.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Taylortd
Junior User
The carrier bearing rubber was pushed out, when I coasted down a hill I had a good vibration, I think it's more U joint problem that messed the rubber up. when I move the front most joint with my hand it is almost sloppy and it grabs in some spots.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Taylortd
The carrier bearing rubber was pushed out, when I coasted down a hill I had a good vibration, I think it's more U joint problem that messed the rubber up. when I move the front most joint with my hand it is almost sloppy and it grabs in some spots.
Right after i got my truck the rubber pushed out of the housing. I replaced it but happened again and again. Ended up being that my u BOLTS were lose and making my rear axle move up and down. I replaced the bolts and it has been fine. Is your truck lifted?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Taylortd
Junior User
Is your truck lifted?
no, the rubber looks rotten, wore out.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Say something else. Tell us what day it is. Then tell us what color the truck is. Then tell us how many tires it has. Then tell us if the sun is shining.

We like pictures

Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Taylortd
Junior User
I am bound by the 25 post min limit, I've got pics I'll post them when I can

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylortd
I am bound by the 25 post min limit, I've got pics I'll post them when I can
So what's your hold up? Say something. You can get to 25 pretty quick if you try. Of course pics don't come right away. You have to wait for the server to recognize that you've gotten the 25 posts and then it will be enabled.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
thebig350
Senior User
you could always e-mail them to one of us, and we could put them up for you in the mean time.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Taylortd
Junior User
ok all I have to do is post 10 character messages

Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Taylortd
Junior User
just a few more and I will have it

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Taylortd