'70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build

Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Posting Guru

elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94z28 View Post
wheres the irs rear?? pics
Not in yet. I had a bad heart attack back in January. Ended up having a defibulator put in back in March. I can't be around welding now. I am waiting for one of the two guys I know that I trust to do it for me to have time. If it was something I could do it would be in. I will be there for the install and taking pics just have to walk away when they start welding. Minimum of 25' away. If all goes well it will go in next Thursday or Friday. Hoping to sneak it into a friend of mine's shop and do it on a Saturday.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Senior User

94z28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
man that sucks, youre doing okay though? health wise?
Well i cant wait to see it, your truck inspires me that bumps dont have to boring and ride like a logging truck:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
Not in yet. I had a bad heart attack back in January. Ended up having a defibulator put in back in March. I can't be around welding now. I am waiting for one of the two guys I know that I trust to do it for me to have time. If it was something I could do it would be in. I will be there for the install and taking pics just have to walk away when they start welding. Minimum of 25' away. If all goes well it will go in next Thursday or Friday. Hoping to sneak it into a friend of mine's shop and do it on a Saturday.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
man that sucks, youre doing okay though? health wise?
Well i cant wait to see it, your truck inspires me that bumps dont have to boring and ride like a logging truck:P
That's kind of a matter of interpretation. The lower portion of my heart is dead, nonoperational, it doesn't help pump. Blood pools there and clots. I have a large clot in the bottom of my heart. They have me on rat killer (anticoagulant) to help keep my blood from clotting with the hopes the clot will disolve on it's own in a year or so. This creates a new problem, I can bleed out far easier than "normal" people out there. I have to watch getting cut and cuts when they happen.

Last Dr. visit I had I went from his office to inpatient for a few days to get my blood back in line. To get out of the hospital in 3 days I had to give myself injections twice a day in the stomach for 3 or 4 more days at home. If not I would have been in "prison" for those additional days. They started using the "f" word (fatal). If the clot breaks loose it will be fatal. I told the Dr. "I don't want to die in this bed. If it's gonna be fatal I would rather be somewhere else when it happens.". That's when he came up with the injection thing.

So am I still breathing? Yes. Is there anything I can do about what is? Nope! I told my wife back in January as she was worried about the path forward & I simply said "I will not spend the rest of my life being afraid to live life". That pretty much sums up my attitude on the whole thing. If I make it another 10 years they have told me to plan on a transplant.

Ok back to the important things. I am glad my build can help you with yours no matter what the capacity. She is far from boring and definitely doesn't have that old buckboard type handling. Log wagon works for description as well. She turns heads whenever we take her out. Still tryin to figure out if it's because they like the look or figure it as ugly.

Something I would say when I would catch someone staring at me. They either find me attractive or very ugly to capture their attention for this long. I know another guy here in Indianapolis with a LWB that he has been restoring. It is a very nice truck as he is down to minor small pieces here and there now. We both hit different cruise in's & are the only bumps at either. I think I enjoy most when guys with older Ford trucks that are nice are checking out our truck.

It is exactly what I wanted it to be. A driver that I could keep running as much as possible through the process of building a decent street truck out of. She will go down to the frame but that will be when it's time for final body and paint. When it comes out of paint the only thing lacking will be the interior. After the 460 goes in my next project on it is new wiring. Then comes boring stuff. Replace rear sway bar with a better one. Same for axle shafts in the IRS. Third member support, engine/trans back out & the engine built to 650 +/- hp & trans built for street use. The final wheels and tires. Stuff like that. There will be body mods along the way roughed in.

The only hope I have is if I die before I manage to get it finished (the truck) that someone will finish it for my wife instead of it dying with me. She is good at putting out the fires when I start them. Old vehicles and their years of grease/oil buildup. Gotta love it! Shehas kept me from burning up the truck
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 PM
New User

bagsjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking 1972 Ford F100 - IFS Costs?

Howdy,

I just purchased and 1972 Ford(below) and I'd like to add power brakes and power steering. What would it cost approximately to have a mechanic do this work? Are there any threads that give more detail on how this is done and the parts that are needed?

Thanks, Bob.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Posting Guru

Nice looking truck. What are you planning on doing with the truck? Do you want to use it like a truck? If so just find a truck from 73-79 and pull the parts you need. Put them in your truck. You answer is shops have labor manuals. They tell how long it should take to do a certain repair. They are going to bill you according to a labor guide. Do you have disc brakes up front?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
New User

bagsjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Disc brakes

No power steering or disc brakes. Thanks for the info. So if I find a newer front axle with power steering and disc brakes it shouldn't cost too much? I'm using it 5 days/week, 40 miles/week. Having pwr brakes/steering would be nice.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsjr View Post
No power steering or disc brakes. Thanks for the info. So if I find a newer front axle with power steering and disc brakes it shouldn't cost too much? I'm using it 5 days/week, 40 miles/week. Having pwr brakes/steering would be nice.
Cost too much is a matter of who is calling it. If you can find a donor truck with the same engine you have you can get everything you need from it. I would guess swapping out the beams to be roughly 3 hrs for both. Steering box another 2-2.5. Power booster maybe 1 hr. Then you have bleeding out the brakes & mounting the PS pump on the engine. Let's call that at least 2 hrs. So you are looking at 8-10 hrs. I would figure 12 (better to be high than too low) but the shop will tell you. At $55/hr you are gonna be around $675 + parts.

To me that's a lot of money for what you get but that's me. Even if you manage to get all your parts for $200 you are still at $900. I did a complete suspension swap for $1150.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior User

this makes me sad, I dunno but you kinda remind me of my dad, or how my dad should have been but he wasnt there anyways at age 35 i think about stuff like this, and I think crap, we all take life and our dreams, hopes, goals and aspirations for grant-it. and I pray that things get better. you seem like a pretty awesome guy and this thread kinda makes me sad just because. If i lived closer I would come hang out and help out.my old lady has hated most of my cars except the 5.0 86 mustang gt 5 speed and now she has just started to like the 94 z28, hell even i dont really like it but its about 300hp and 345ft lbs of torque so its hard to hate for very long. its hard, i have owned too many fords. anyways bro, keep your chin up, "this too shall pass" as they say and you will get thru. the truck is awesome
Quote:
That's kind of a matter of interpretation. The lower portion of my heart is dead, nonoperational, it doesn't help pump. Blood pools there and clots. I have a large clot in the bottom of my heart. They have me on rat killer (anticoagulant) to help keep my blood from clotting with the hopes the clot will disolve on it's own in a year or so. This creates a new problem, I can bleed out far easier than "normal" people out there. I have to watch getting cut and cuts when they happen.

Last Dr. visit I had I went from his office to inpatient for a few days to get my blood back in line. To get out of the hospital in 3 days I had to give myself injections twice a day in the stomach for 3 or 4 more days at home. If not I would have been in "prison" for those additional days. They started using the "f" word (fatal). If the clot breaks loose it will be fatal. I told the Dr. "I don't want to die in this bed. If it's gonna be fatal I would rather be somewhere else when it happens.". That's when he came up with the injection thing.

So am I still breathing? Yes. Is there anything I can do about what is? Nope! I told my wife back in January as she was worried about the path forward & I simply said "I will not spend the rest of my life being afraid to live life". That pretty much sums up my attitude on the whole thing. If I make it another 10 years they have told me to plan on a transplant.

Ok back to the important things. I am glad my build can help you with yours no matter what the capacity. She is far from boring and definitely doesn't have that old buckboard type handling. Log wagon works for description as well. She turns heads whenever we take her out. Still tryin to figure out if it's because they like the look or figure it as ugly.

Something I would say when I would catch someone staring at me. They either find me attractive or very ugly to capture their attention for this long. I know another guy here in Indianapolis with a LWB that he has been restoring. It is a very nice truck as he is down to minor small pieces here and there now. We both hit different cruise in's & are the only bumps at either. I think I enjoy most when guys with older Ford trucks that are nice are checking out our truck.

It is exactly what I wanted it to be. A driver that I could keep running as much as possible through the process of building a decent street truck out of. She will go down to the frame but that will be when it's time for final body and paint. When it comes out of paint the only thing lacking will be the interior. After the 460 goes in my next project on it is new wiring. Then comes boring stuff. Replace rear sway bar with a better one. Same for axle shafts in the IRS. Third member support, engine/trans back out & the engine built to 650 +/- hp & trans built for street use. The final wheels and tires. Stuff like that. There will be body mods along the way roughed in.

The only hope I have is if I die before I manage to get it finished (the truck) that someone will finish it for my wife instead of it dying with me. She is good at putting out the fires when I start them. Old vehicles and their years of grease/oil buildup. Gotta love it! Shehas kept me from burning up the truck
Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Posting Guru

All women love old trucks once they reach the point of being "cool". Can be restored or custom. They seem to have more of a liking for the custom. I think it's the bad boy image projected. They become "cool" when they quit eating up money just to drive. You know take it to the corner for a pepsi and when you come out it won't start. Then of course comes a bout or two with overheating. In other words when it quits leaving you stranded.

The last woman I dated prior to getting married hated my truck. Then one day all of a sudden she liked it. I think she did all along just didn't want to admit it. I think the best time out with her was at church one Sunday morning. We were in my 4x4 so I didn't have the '70 with me. When it came time to leave one of the guys there stopped us and said "You're the guy with that old Ford truck aren't you?" Well he had to say a few things about it & I have no idea where he seen me with it but it definitely left an impression. When we got in the truck she said "Can't go anywhere without it being about the truck" I just laughed and said "Hey he came up to us. I didn't start the conversation.

There is something about that truck people like. It was pretty bad one year though. We literally couldn't go anywhere without someone saying something about it. Drivin it or not. Keep the inside clean. Doesn't have to be a nice interior but clean yes. Windows clean. Something about clean windows that makes a person feel like they are in a clean environment. Make sure the windows work properly without fighting them. Same for opening and closing the doors. Your wife should start liking it a bit more. Anyone can have a Camaro or Mustang but not everyone has an old vehicle with real personality. She will also start liking it more when she sees the Mustang and Camaro people checking out the truck.

My wife is actually into the build. She wants to take it to the F100 Supernationals in TN. We might make it next spring. I think she loves the attention it brings & wants to see how it does in a group of old Ford trucks. I told her it's not going until the engine and trans are in. The 302 that's in it is pretty well beat and I just don't trust it going that far round trip.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Senior User

so far...... all my windows crank normal, interior is very nice, dash is like new, radio is stock and works, no dings in any of the glass. runs and drives pretty good, never overheats, always starts, carb is a brat when cold but it works pretty good...169k well maintaned and documented miles. origininal owner and son kept records on it from new till 1997 when the guy I got it from bought it and he never drove it much. the master cylinder did go out ans so did the points but I have only driven it about 5 times or less. once to park it, once for the heck, once to show some one when i took camper off and once to get the gm front wheels and tires for the nasty split rim stuff that was dry rotted to hell!!!never anything funny. i need to remove rear bumper and flat black the rest of the truck and it will look nicer. find non splittys for the rear as well
Quote:
All women love old trucks once they reach the point of being "cool". Can be restored or custom. They seem to have more of a liking for the custom. I think it's the bad boy image projected. They become "cool" when they quit eating up money just to drive. You know take it to the corner for a pepsi and when you come out it won't start. Then of course comes a bout or two with overheating. In other words when it quits leaving you stranded.

The last woman I dated prior to getting married hated my truck. Then one day all of a sudden she liked it. I think she did all along just didn't want to admit it. I think the best time out with her was at church one Sunday morning. We were in my 4x4 so I didn't have the '70 with me. When it came time to leave one of the guys there stopped us and said "You're the guy with that old Ford truck aren't you?" Well he had to say a few things about it & I have no idea where he seen me with it but it definitely left an impression. When we got in the truck she said "Can't go anywhere without it being about the truck" I just laughed and said "Hey he came up to us. I didn't start the conversation.

There is something about that truck people like. It was pretty bad one year though. We literally couldn't go anywhere without someone saying something about it. Drivin it or not. Keep the inside clean. Doesn't have to be a nice interior but clean yes. Windows clean. Something about clean windows that makes a person feel like they are in a clean environment. Make sure the windows work properly without fighting them. Same for opening and closing the doors. Your wife should start liking it a bit more. Anyone can have a Camaro or Mustang but not everyone has an old vehicle with real personality. She will also start liking it more when she sees the Mustang and Camaro people checking out the truck.

My wife is actually into the build. She wants to take it to the F100 Supernationals in TN. We might make it next spring. I think she loves the attention it brings & wants to see how it does in a group of old Ford trucks. I told her it's not going until the engine and trans are in. The 302 that's in it is pretty well beat and I just don't trust it going that far round trip.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
so far...... all my windows crank normal, interior is very nice, dash is like new, radio is stock and works, no dings in any of the glass. runs and drives pretty good, never overheats, always starts, carb is a brat when cold but it works pretty good...169k well maintaned and documented miles. origininal owner and son kept records on it from new till 1997 when the guy I got it from bought it and he never drove it much. the master cylinder did go out ans so did the points but I have only driven it about 5 times or less. once to park it, once for the heck, once to show some one when i took camper off and once to get the gm front wheels and tires for the nasty split rim stuff that was dry rotted to hell!!!never anything funny. i need to remove rear bumper and flat black the rest of the truck and it will look nicer. find non splittys for the rear as well
Is the interior clean? That's the important part. Women don't care about mileage or record keeping. Now we get into the core of the issue. In her mind "You bought this thing to park it? Another money pit!" Especially when coupled with losing the points (quit running) and the master cyl (no way to stop the thing, it's dangerous). Mixed colors hurts. Doesn't seem to matter too much what color as long as it is one color. Removed camper. Assuming no tailgate. A tailgate would help her with accepting the beast. Not one of those nasty net gates an actual tailgate. If the replacement wheels aren't shiny she don't care. Women like jewelry, chrome is in the same family in their minds. Replacing black wheels with black wheels was just a giant waste of time. Split rim, no split rim could care less. You bought the same wheels you took off!

Normally I charge for marriage counseling but I will let you have these last 2 sessions for free.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior User

Mint interior, no tears in seats, got original tailgate in place
Quote:
Is the interior clean? That's the important part. Women don't care about mileage or record keeping. Now we get into the core of the issue. In her mind "You bought this thing to park it? Another money pit!" Especially when coupled with losing the points (quit running) and the master cyl (no way to stop the thing, it's dangerous). Mixed colors hurts. Doesn't seem to matter too much what color as long as it is one color. Removed camper. Assuming no tailgate. A tailgate would help her with accepting the beast. Not one of those nasty net gates an actual tailgate. If the replacement wheels aren't shiny she don't care. Women like jewelry, chrome is in the same family in their minds. Replacing black wheels with black wheels was just a giant waste of time. Split rim, no split rim could care less. You bought the same wheels you took off!

Normally I charge for marriage counseling but I will let you have these last 2 sessions for free.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Mint interior, no tears in seats, got original tailgate in place
Another thought. You would have gained more ground buying hubcaps than black wheels. I understand it but we are not talking about me. I was working as a mechanic when split rims were the way it was. I heard stories of non seated rings coming off when airing up a tire and taking heads off.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Senior User

I have all the hub caps rims are white. Im not worried if my old lady likes the truck, its me that has to like it. Be nice to drop the front and rear at least some. The crown vic cant be the only swap, what others work?
Quote:
Another thought. You would have gained more ground buying hubcaps than black wheels. I understand it but we are not talking about me. I was working as a mechanic when split rims were the way it was. I heard stories of non seated rings coming off when airing up a tire and taking heads off.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
I have all the hub caps rims are white. Im not worried if my old lady likes the truck, its me that has to like it. Be nice to drop the front and rear at least some. The crown vic cant be the only swap, what others work?
There is a thread either here or at the other site that has a guy lowering a 350 using dropped 250 beams. Sorry but that's all the info I can give you. You can swap anything in you want. How low do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend?