Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 F150 Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM
geodiggr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F150 Engine swap

Hi all,

Have a 1992 F150 5.0, 2wd, E40OD, AT truck.

Needs a rebuild or motor, simple enough, right?

From what I can find, because of firing order, electronics, and set up my 1992 5.0 can only be replaced by a 1992-1993 5.0 engine. I cannot find this information anywhere on the net except in message boards. First question, where can I find written technical information regarding the specifics of this engine and what it can replaced with, 5.0 wise.

Secondly, if I decided to go with a 5.8, what would that swap entail? Would it require fabrication? Are all parts compatible? New computer? Will it fit? Wiring harness? New transmission?

I have not made up my mind, but need to know what I am getting myself into before I attempt this. It is a family truck, been in the family since new, and I don't want to get rid of it. But also need to find an affordable fix so it can get back on the road.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

I guess the bigger question is, would a 5.8 swap be justified? The 5.0 is a fine engine and with a little modification can be a great engine.

What do you do with your truck MOST of the time. Everyone probably hauls something now and then but unless you haul heavy loads more than once a week, I don't see needing a 5.8 unless you just want to have one.

I recently replaced my 5.8 with a reman from ATK which I bought through NAPA. The warranty is one of the best but you really need to pay an installer to do the swap or you may have some warranty issues should you have any problems. Luckily, I haven't had any, at least not related to the new engine. Cost of the engine, some new parts including exhaust bolts and all new ignition parts plus labor, minus the core came in at $3100. However I work the truck and have made more than twice that much back since the swap in May.

If you want to do the swap yourself, and want to go with a 5.8, search the forums for 5.8 swaps and you can get yourself a parts list of everything you will need and any issues you might run into. It may be cost efficient to find a whole donor truck. Keep in mind though, if you do this, you don't know anything about the engine as far as how it has been treated and maintained. But you can also keep your old engine and build it how you want to over time, eventually putting it back in.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
geodiggr
Junior User
I can live with the 5.0...but

From what my research has found...I can only use a 1992 - 1993 5.0 in my truck and they are a little scare around my parts.

So, if I stick with the 5.0, what 5.0 can I use? Which model year heads are compatible?

I guess that is really the crux of my problem as I just can't seem to find that information out. You are correct, for my use I do not need the 5.8 and I appreciate the knock back to reality you've provided.

So, anyone help on which 5.0 block and/or heads I can put in my 1992 F150 without doing any modifications?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Your research is a bit flawed, why do you think you can only use 1992-93? You can use earlier or later model parts as well as complete engines.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
You can literally use any 5.0 EFI motor you can lay your hands on as long as you keep all the stock engine bay wiring and computer intact, that includes the '87-96 5.0 truck motors, the 5.0 Mustang motors, and the 5.0 Explorer motors. For a plug and play swap you would have to move your truck EFI intake system, distributor, and flexplate to the donor motor, but after that it's a direct bolt-in. And it doesn't matter if the donor motor has the old or newer 5.0 firing order either both work with the EFI system in your truck.

As for a 5.8 swap that would work too but you need a complete 5.8 EFI motor(throttlebody to oilpan) since very few parts transfer from the 5.0, and also a 5.8 computer that matches your transmission, and a 5.8 specific flexplate or flywheel that matches your transmission. With those parts it too is a bolt-in with the existing engine mounts.. though the exhaust also has to be modified since the 5.8 block is taller and wider.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 PM
geodiggr
Junior User
well....

I guess I only figured the 92-93 engines because when I have searched for new or re-manufactured engines that is usually the only two years that I can find as replacements...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
geodiggr
Junior User
Ok, that makes sense

Paul,

Thanks for the information. So, any of those years and other engines that you mentioned the heads would an exact replacement bolt on and the combustion chambers are the same, correct?

Is there any location on the web which has specifics of the engines you mentioned? Specifically the truck engines?

I am looking for the details to help me make my decision as to what to do...swap in block/heads or heads only. If I do the former I will pull my engine and do a complete remanufacture as I think I have the High Nickel content block in my truck now and want to keep it. To save money, I'd love to only pull the heads for the time being, swap on used ones, and rebuild mine as time and money allows...

I just want the damn thing running good again!

Any information on specifics on web pages where the specifics can be found would be greatly appreciated...

In the meantime I will be looking for those years that you mentioned. My local boneyard and ones in my area don't have any as of today.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
All 5.0 motors built from 1987 on use the same longblock(*exceptions)... same crank, pistons, connecting rods, and heads(E7TE). The differences lie in the camshaft and distributor drive gear, and the location of the TFI module which affects how the distributor is wired. These differences are why parts stores only list 2 years as being "direct replacements" for yours, but adapting a motor from another year isn't a big deal since all these parts interchange.

* The Explorer 5.0 uses the same shortblock(block and rotating assembly only) but with better heads.
* The Mustang 5.0HO uses the same longblock as the truck motors but had forged pistons and a bigger cam.
* THe Crown Vic 5.0 uses the same shortblock but has worse heads(E6SE) and a smaller cam.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM
nitsud
New User
5.8 to 5.0

I have a few questions myself if you guys dont mind. My trucks a 92 with a 5.8 and 4x4. The truck has around 190k on it and im looking at putting my 5.0 block in it seen as i out alot of money into it. My main concern is what do i need for the 5.0 to work. I know everyone is like why go to a 5.0 heres why i have bored and stroked the engine with forged internals and would really love to have it in my truck because it is a work truck. If theres an easier swap like hey dippy go find a early 80s carbed truck with 4x4 im down with that too but wpuld prefer to keep it efi if easily do able. Thanks guys for any and all input.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:02 AM
93F14x4
New User
geodiggr:

Just a piece of advice that I have learned: If you end up getting a 5.0HO motor (mustang) to put in your truck make sure to use the timing cover and water pump from your truck engine, as the mustang is different. The mustang cover and pump will bolt up but it will leak, and I believe the rotation direction on the mustang water pump is different.

nitsud:

You may need to post up what transmission you have, and what year 302 engine you have to get a little more specific advice about your swap. However from what I understand, most of the engine's accessories should bolt up, and most of the sensors should be the same. Since your truck runs Speed Density, the firing order difference will not matter as the fuel injectors are batch fired. The intake manifold will NOT transfer from a 351 to a 302, so plan on getting one of those. Also, your Y-pipe from the 351 is wider than a 302, so that will need to be modified or replaced. You will need another flywheel or flexplate, as the 302 runs a different balance than a 351. You will need flexplate/flywheel that is specific to both the engine and trans you are using. Just remember that a 351 block is taller and therefore wider at the top than a 302. Try searching 351 swap on this forum, and you will learn a lot about which parts will work and which ones will not. I am looking into swapping a 351 into my 302 truck so that is how I picked up some of this information. I Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:31 AM
nitsud
New User
1992 5.8 to 5.0

Sorry should of told you guys the trans. The trans is hopefully still going to be an e4od, but i was reading a earlier post and i have a question about the block. My block is from a 72 maverick and from my understanding of whats above i may run into issues? Also i may have found a donor truck for the 5.0 parts but its a 94. Am i going to have to pull the computer out of that one to make it work in my truck?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only real issue I can think of, is that the EFI intake manifold may not bolt up to those heads. I am not sure though. Someone else will probably know.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:58 PM
nitsud
New User
Thank you so worst comes to worst may have to redo the heads from donor truck or possibly pick up a set of aftermarket heads. Ive been looking to try and find out what years are conpatible and google gives me bothing but i wanna say ive read somewhere 92 and 93 are compatible. Is this correct or is there a larger span?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read this thread again. All 302s from 87 on are interchangeable.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:55 PM
nitsud
New User
Gotcha the blocks are interchangeable but ive heard the computers change quite often from year to year from the sounds of it. And id have to redo the donor trucks hwads possibly to make the intake bolt onto my 72 block?

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 Engine swap