Sponsored by: Moser

1973 F350 Ranger Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM
BrianG2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Nice job so far...my CS started off that color and I have a 73 SCS waiting in the barn.
Is it staying the same color?
I am a bit undecided still on what color. In a way I really like that color (Limestone Green).
I really want to do bc/cc, but I'm not sure how shiny/glossy/gaudy it would look. I will probably spray a test panel before I decide.

If you could consider that a truck has a personality, I'd say that it just would not be the same if I changed the color.
I did everything with this truck over the years. It was the family truck and in some ways it is almost like one of my kids.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM
BrianG2
Junior User

Here it sits, the rolling frame. I am waiting on brake lines from Inline Tube. I sent what I had off to them to re-create. The front sway bar is hanging down as I decided to make better axle mounts for it that tuck into the recess of the front axle.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianG2
I am a bit undecided still on what color. In a way I really like that color (Limestone Green).
I really want to do bc/cc, but I'm not sure how shiny/glossy/gaudy it would look. I will probably spray a test panel before I decide.

If you could consider that a truck has a personality, I'd say that it just would not be the same if I changed the color.
I did everything with this truck over the years. It was the family truck and in some ways it is almost like one of my kids.
Ha...that's why mine is named "Evil Green"

I'm with you on the color and looking forward to seeing it finished.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What type of gun are you spraying the POR-15 with?? Or did I miss that??? LOL

Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool build! My truck also started out that color. I redid it in hunter green, but I can see why you would want to keep it. From the pictures, the body actually looks really good.

What fuel tank is that?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
BrianG2
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
What type of gun are you spraying the POR-15 with?? Or did I miss that??? LOL
I used a Devilbiss GTI with a 1.5 tip when I sprayed the frame.

At some point I decided to us my Sharpe Cobalt primer gun. It has a 1.5 tip. With that gun I was able to get a well controlled small spray pattern, which work out better for spraying all the small parts.

The GTI puts out a very nice but big fan.

The conditions with temp and humidity change a lot where I live (PNW) In march when I sprayed the frame I did not need to think the POR15. This summer I found it necessary to thin it a little. The POR Hardnose is very thick, I thinned it 15%. Impressed with the Hardnose paint.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
BrianG2
Junior User
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Very cool build! My truck also started out that color. I redid it in hunter green, but I can see why you would want to keep it. From the pictures, the body actually looks really good.

What fuel tank is that?
Great question! It is the original tank, it is a poly tank.
An this is where I am still so confused all over the place with Ford.

My F350's frame is 34 inches. Some how for some frames that continued up into the 80's.
I do not know why and have not found out exactly why, but I'd really like to know..
I did spy a 1980 Ford F350 chassis cab with the bed off. I measured the frame to be 34 inches. It had a poly rear tank. But the tank had a larger sender hole that supported a fuel return line. At one time I really wanted to find a replacement. But all the wrecking yards I contacted were not in the know.
Here are two picts one of my tank from my 73 F350 and one of the 1980 F350 (think it was a chassis cab)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 PM
BrianG2
Junior User
Attacked the cab this weekend. There is a little bit of surface rust in a lot of places.
There is the beginning of rust cancer on the passenger side where the cowl meets the firewall, just above where the heater motor sits.

Can anyone tell me the careful way to remove the chrome external wiper arm cover from the wiper arm pivot shaft?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't know that ford used poly tanks in the 70s. I just learned something new.

As far as the wiper, it should just be that you bend it out (like when you are using a gas station windshield squeegee, and then slide the base off the shaft. Maybe yours is rusted to it is hard to move?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM
mjm1
Freshman User

your work looks awesome!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a nice rig if I ever saw one! The shape yours was in is what mine looked like 25 or 30 years ago, same green and everything! Time has been hard on my rig though, it's got a long ways to go before it look as nice as yours.

I was wondering, where did you find your front swaybar? Mine has one on the back, but I'd like to add one in front.

Sam

Old 08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
BrianG2
Junior User
Originally Posted by mjm1
your work looks awesome!
Thanks! However I have been fortunate that I've not had to beat on anything yet. I am lucky to be starting with something that was already in pretty fair shape.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM
BrianG2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250
That is a nice rig if I ever saw one! The shape yours was in is what mine looked like 25 or 30 years ago, same green and everything! Time has been hard on my rig though, it's got a long ways to go before it look as nice as yours.

I was wondering, where did you find your front swaybar? Mine has one on the back, but I'd like to add one in front.

Sam
It is an Addco bar that I bought from Summitracing about 12 years ago. That is when I found out for the first time that the F350 frame that I had was only 34 inches wide.
I'd say once installed it provided a positive and noticeable improvement. In my pictures you can see the rear bar that I only recently added. I'm hoping that it provides a similar experience.

I appreciate the nice comments from everyone. I really love this truck and as you can tell I've taken good care of it. We have had a relationship for a long time, but never had in mind a restore, it just kind of happened. I'm not as obsessive as the guy in Cherry 2000 . But not sure how many years I will need to postpone retirement as a result.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Stinky7-11
Elder User

Originally Posted by BrianG2
Attacked the cab this weekend. There is a little bit of surface rust in a lot of places.
There is the beginning of rust cancer on the passenger side where the cowl meets the firewall, just above where the heater motor sits.

Can anyone tell me the careful way to remove the chrome external wiper arm cover from the wiper arm pivot shaft?

Pull the wiper arm up at the pivot end, you will see a hole that goes through the arm. while the arm is held up put a small nail or paper clip through arm and release it , this will take the tension off the pivot so you can focus on the clip that needs to be pryed away from the shaft releasing the arm so you can pull i straight out.. good luck

Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
I wish I was as patient as you, the truck in my avatar got a trip to the carwash b4 frame paint. And I thought that was unnecessary. Subscribed.

Quick Reply: 1973 F350 Ranger Restoration