Duraspark I question on wiring. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Duraspark I question on wiring.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM
pidaster
Senior User
pidaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Duraspark I question on wiring.

I know there was a diagram at one time about converting from points to Duraspark but I searched and didn't find what I was looking for.
My question is the red and white wires from the module. I thought one went to power with ignition and the other to power while starter engaged but I found this so I'm confused. This indicates I cut a wire but it could be for another set up I suppose.

Also, does the duraspark distributor go to a timed or constant (manifold) vacuum?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
gfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to all
This is for the blue module. I have others if you're using a diff module.

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
jeff14346
Senior User
jeff14346 is starting off with a positive reputation.
get rid of the duraspark set up and buy a HEI from DUI Davis Unified Ignition from Performance Distrributors, alvailable for sbf, bbf fe engines

Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
A few mfgrs make a drop in module that just replaces the points.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM
pidaster
Senior User
I thought about the petronix ignition and I still have my points distributor.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by jeff14346 View Post
get rid of the duraspark set up and buy a HEI from DUI Davis Unified Ignition from Performance Distrributors, alvailable for sbf, bbf fe engines
Those sure sound nice but are a little too pricey for me.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 PM
meborder
meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
I'd strongly consider using the Ignitor II module from pertronix, if you havn't already spent a bunch of time and money on the Duraspark converstion.

The ignitor II addressed a lot of the problems that caused problems for users of the origional ignitor module. They also have a variable dwell curve which is supposed to make a big improvement in spark energy.

there is also an Ignitor III module that includes a built in rev limitor, but i get the feeling that this is a budget concious upgrade, so these may be more than you'd like to spend.

FWIW, i have an Ignitor II for my 1988 boat, but I have yet to find time to install it, so i can't speak to how well it works ... only that thru all my research, it showed a great deal of promise.

good luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 AM
fmc400
MSEE
fmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud of
Just a note on the wiring diagrams: some diagrams show RED as hot-in-RUN and WHITE as hot-in-START, while others show RED as hot-in-START and WHITE as hot-in-RUN. The latter is technically correct, per the factory color code (as an example, you will notice the base color for your starter solenoid, which is hot-in-START, is RED and not WHITE). However, many modules manufactured today are made backwards and use the scheme shown in the two diagrams posted. This isn't typically an issue when replacing a module in a system that's already set up for Duraspark, because despite the color swap, the connector is usually keyed correctly. However, it's something to keep in mind when doing a points conversion, since there's no Duraspark connector to use for reference.

Originally Posted by meborder View Post
The ignitor II addressed a lot of the problems that caused problems for users of the origional ignitor module. They also have a variable dwell curve which is supposed to make a big improvement in spark energy.
Just curious, what are said issues with the first Ignitor? I'm running the first one in my Galaxie. No problems so far, but I only ran it for a week or so before getting the car back in the garage to start the next phase of restoration (electrical). A lot of issues I've seen with the Ignitor seem to be caused by the unit being powered downstream of the coil ballast (user error).

Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM
meborder
meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by fmc400 View Post
... snip ...

Just curious, what are said issues with the first Ignitor? I'm running the first one in my Galaxie. No problems so far, but I only ran it for a week or so before getting the car back in the garage to start the next phase of restoration (electrical). A lot of issues I've seen with the Ignitor seem to be caused by the unit being powered downstream of the coil ballast (user error).
The major problems that kept showing up were the units burning out and moisture infiltration.

the Ignitor II has some circuitry built in that shuts the module off if the key is left on without the engine running. this happens quite often in marine, but i think in a car, if a guy is working on his car chasing an electrical problem, he can burn out his Ignitor with the key on and engine off.

as for moisture, the Ignitor II is epoxy filled, almost eliminating the chance for moisture infiltration. Perhaps the Ignitor is now epoxy filled as well, I dont remember. Here again, more a problem in a boat than a car, but still something worth noting if you've ever had your points get wet.

the adaptive dwell was attractive to me as well.

other than that, 2 is better than 1? j/k

In regard to the wiring issue you mentioned, when i talked to pertronix (more than once actually) they recommended the coil get the full 12V, thus removing the coil balast completely. I would verify this with any instructions provided to you, but that was the advice straight from pertronix tech support.

Last edited by meborder; 08-15-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
gfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to all
Won't get into the discussion on which system is better. I've converted at least a dozen vehicles to DSII using the diagram I posted. However, I did run across one connector I used to power the module, that the red and white pins were swapped. It was immediately obvious as engine would start, but shut off soon as key was released. Looking closer, I had missed the red and white wires did not match up in connectors. Thanks for bringing that up fmc400, I had forgotten that one.
Edit: Original question on vacuum. Ported vacuum is normally used to distributor.

Last edited by gfw1985; 08-15-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Vaccum
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
pidaster
Senior User
I ordered the original Ignitor since I didn't want to spend the money on a coil too. Should have everything switched out by this weekend.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
supercabfreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
stick with the points eliminator kits much more reliable!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
meborder
let us know what you think!

I'm excited to get mine installed, but other more important things keep getting in my way of having fun

Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
AK FORD GUY is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AK FORD GUY is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Any word on how it's working out. I need to straighten out the ignition on my project truck and this may sway my decision a bit.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM
pidaster
Senior User
I picked up a re-manufactured distributor and put the Pertronix Ignitor in. So far it's better than the Duraspark 1 but I've got to continue to tune on it. I've still got some ping under heavy acceleration but it's not nearly as bad as when I was running the Duraspark. I should have more time for tuning next week and will update it then.