Sponsored by: Moser

hard to start after an hour

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Ruready
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard to start after an hour

1979 f250 400 engine. Starts in morning great runs great. If turn off after running and wait a minute or so will start great. If i wait an hour or more i have to crank and crank to get going. but in morning will start great again.
there is a spark at coil while cranking
there is fuel in fuel filter but cant see sprays in carb when cranking while pumping accelerator

NEW- fuel filter&hoses , plugs ,wires, rotor, dist. cap, coil, rebulilt carb last spring,new electronic ignition box april

Fuel pump??? but why start well every morning?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM
shooten roosters
Freshman User
bad needle and seats mabey its flooding the motor while its sitting then in the morning it starts cuz all the fuel leaked past the rings check your oil and see if it smells like gas id start there

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Huh? Vapor lock maybe. Try a heat shield around your fuel line.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hot start problems are usually fuel related, when a hot engine is shut off the temperature of the engine and everything on it continues to rise for awhile as the engine undergoes a period of heat soak, this can cause fuel to boil inside the carburetor bowl, fuel lines and fuel filter, when you attempt to restart the engine vapor lock obstructs the flow of fuel and the engine doesn't want to start, installing a phenolic spacer between carb and intake will help alleviate this situation.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
'had a similar problem with my 65 Mustang. After the initial operation, which was fine, stopping the engine caused a real difficult start after 15 minutes or so. After letting it sit for more than a few hours, then it could be restarted like normal.

'Turned out the accelerator pump had a small leak causing fuel to be drained from the bowl and down the intake manifold which, in turn, caused a flooded mixture. Only cranking and cranking would restart it... I however felt that was not receiving fuel and my right foot only exascerbated the problem. A quickie rebuild of the carb solved the issue.

Heat soak/vapor lock could also be the culprit but I'd check that carb.. especially if the rig isn't used very often or if it hasn't been rebuilt for a looooong time.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
shooten roosters
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
'had a similar problem with my 65 Mustang. After the initial operation, which was fine, stopping the engine caused a real difficult start after 15 minutes or so. After letting it sit for more than a few hours, then it could be restarted like normal.

'Turned out the accelerator pump had a small leak causing fuel to be drained from the bowl and down the intake manifold which, in turn, caused a flooded mixture. Only cranking and cranking would restart it... I however felt that was not receiving fuel and my right foot only exascerbated the problem. A quickie rebuild of the carb solved the issue.

Heat soak/vapor lock could also be the culprit but I'd check that carb.. especially if the rig isn't used very often or if it hasn't been rebuilt for a looooong time.
right on even if it was a rebuild carb a very small amount of anything in the carb can fudge things up when it happen to me it was the needle and seat but yes i would check oil for gas smell and look into the carb

Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Ruready
New User
thanks I went out and took off air cleaner cover and depressed throttle and could hear and smell gas spraying into carb
i then cranked and cranked i also pumped the petal and it finally started seemed little flooded little black smoke came out of exhaust

also if it matters i started it today once by rolling down a little hill and letting clutch out

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Ruready
New User
HiO silver

why if the accelerator pump bad would it then start in the morning?
sorry if i am not replying correctly this is the first time on this site or any site like this

Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruready
sorry if i am not replying correctly this is the first time on this site or any site like this
Because by the AM the fuel that leaked out of the bowl and down the intake has already evaporated.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Thunderjet4x4
Elder User
Also good to check the starting system. Use a voltmeter on the battery on startup: Check voltage before, and during cranking, should only be about a 2 volt difference. Could be bad ground, connection, starter or battery.
The bigger V8's do have heat soakdowns and are harder to start after running.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruready
The accelerator pump is not responsible for starting the engine cold; this is the choke's job. When you press the gas pedal once in the morning to start the truck, you're freeing the fast idle linkage which lets the choke snap shut. This is what helps the truck start cold, not an extra "shot" of gas (common misconception).

Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Ruready
New User
why was i able to roll start the truck?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Ruready
New User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Hot start problems are usually fuel related, when a hot engine is shut off the temperature of the engine and everything on it continues to rise for awhile as the engine undergoes a period of heat soak, this can cause fuel to boil inside the carburetor bowl, fuel lines and fuel filter, when you attempt to restart the engine vapor lock obstructs the flow of fuel and the engine doesn't want to start, installing a phenolic spacer between carb and intake will help alleviate this situation.
why would this suddenly start after 30 years?