1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I measured my gas tank. It's a standard 20 gallon tank.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Well, now you made me dig out my chassis parts book and look.

The other tank you mentioned, the TDAA unit, I show as for 54-55 F-500/600 panel trucks, with similar dimensions as the 8T tank, above.

Interesting.
The Shop Manual I got that other number from is the 49 - 51 with 52 Supplement. So I don't know why the TDAA tank is in there.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Joe, I thought they were 18 gallons... Can't recall the source but that's what someone posted a long time ago (on another forum), and I never thought to question it. Learn something new every day!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
kodiak14
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happy new year all

Great looking pix iwant to post some pix of my 52 f2 but not being to bright with computers I can't figure out how any help? Kodiak14

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kodiak14
Great looking pix iwant to post some pix of my 52 f2 but not being to bright with computers I can't figure out how any help? Kodiak14
Your pics have to be somewhere on the internet first. I use Photobucket, but you can use another picture storage and it will work.

Here's one way to get pics into your posts.

Go to Photobucket.com and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The 8T 9002-A 25 gallon tank shows a dimension of 10.5 high, 32.5 long and 18 wide, for F 4,5,6 conventional and cabover except school bus. That sounds more like possibly an optional exterior aux. tank and would really stick into the back of the seat if it was inside the cab, imho.
I agree, those dimensions sound like an external tank.
FWIW, COE's didn't have a bench seat though, just a single bucket seat.
My COE had the regular size tank in it.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Thanks Ross.

I've never filled the tank because I don't trust the rubber seal on the filler pipe, so I don't want to "test" it. I added 10 gallons the other day, and the gauge was reading full. So, the gauge or sender isn't right, since the tank is supposed to hold 25 gallons and it was near empty (on the gauge) when I added gas.

And I'd be quite happy with 12 mpg.
Joe, I have found that when the gauge on mine gets to a bit past 1/2 tank, it almost immediately drops to empty. On my trip to Shane's house, when my gauge would show almost empty, I would stop and fill the tank, I never put more than 10-12 gallons in at one time.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 AM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Scott, I priced a new one. Mac's has them for $170 plus shipping. I'd much rather spend less than $10 replacing the brushes and springs and some time cleaning up the mess. I cleaned up the commutator and armature this afternoon and repainted the cover band after I scratched the fresh paint.

And if I hadn't pulled it out to get the oil pan off, I would never have noticed it didn't have the cover band on it to keep the junk out.

The starter worked great when I pulled it out. I hope it still works after I'm through with it!
Out of morbid curiosity, has anyone checked these truck starters against Ford's tractor starters of the same vintage? I just replaced the starter on my 850 (p/n D8NN11350CA), and the photos of your starter look eerily similar. Replacement (and repair kits) for the tractors are fairly cheap and readily available.

When I tossed the Y-block that had been (poorly) swapped into my F-5, I didn't keep the starter, so I can't check this myself.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm glad you are out enjoying driving Betsy again.

With your low axle ratio and 95 horsepower engine you are experiencing the reason auxiliary transmissions were popular with over the road truckers. You could look around for a Watson unit or a Spicer 5831. An overdrive ratio of 0.85 would get you going about 55 m.p.h at about 2500 r.p.m. An overdrive ratio of 0.7 would get you going about 65 m.p.h. at about 2500 r.p.m.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I'm glad you are out enjoying driving Betsy again.

With your low axle ratio and 95 horsepower engine you are experiencing the reason auxiliary transmissions were popular with over the road truckers. You could look around for a Watson unit or a Spicer 5831. An overdrive ratio of 0.85 would get you going about 55 m.p.h at about 2500 r.p.m. An overdrive ratio of 0.7 would get you going about 65 m.p.h. at about 2500 r.p.m.
Thanks Coupe.

I was discussing a Brownie Box with Joe harleymsn a few months ago, as he got one from Chuck's Trucks back in April of last year to add to Edith.

I have a few more things to take care of before I get real concerned about going faster. Pretty sure I need to replace the king pins and bushings and check the steering box for wear or adjustment. Betsy tends to wander a bit, but that hasn't been a real concern while she was sitting in the shop.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I'm wondering if part of my rough ride is because the leaf springs on all four corners look like they're rusted together.

They're so stiff, I can't do anything to make them flex. But that may be perfectly normal for an F4 with the extra springs.

Anyone know if the springs could be made more "flexible" by cleaning them up. I'm more than a little afraid of working on them after reading some of AXracer's posts.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I don't know that I'd want to mess with taking apart big springs like yours. If you took them off, a shop could disassemble them.

The stock F-1 leafs have a "U"-shaped channel in them to allow oil to get down in between. With all the rust and years of sand in mine, adding oil seemed like a bad idea, so I waited til after they were off and I'd knocked as much out as possible, then washed them with a rich mix of detergent, which got out a lot more. Unloaded there is a bigger gap between leaves that lets stuff come out, when you bang them on the ground. After they were re-installed, I squirted some old used oil down in there.

Here's the rub... My steering box continually "lubricated" my new left front spring. With no rust or dirt and lots of 90wt, the left front was TOO smooth, it bounced too much. I put on much heavier shocks and it helped. There is a lot of damping provided by friction in the leaves, don't overdue the oiling!

If you do disassemble them (or have it done), here's something to look for. When the spring compresses, the leaves get to the end of the furrow they've worn, and dig in... Round off the tops of your leaves, remove any sharp corners.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I don't know that I'd want to mess with taking apart big springs like yours. If you took them off, a shop could disassemble them.
Yeah Ross, I'm actually not very interested in touching those huge springs. I was thinking maybe just removing the extra overloads on top. Then I realized they're never being used, since I've never had enough weight on the back.

Just thinking out loud about the rough ride... It's really pretty hairy.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could just put something heavy in the back to work the springs a little. Maybe one of your model rockets!!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Bolt a 1/2" plate steel floor to the bed. Or two.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project