1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyweasel
See? I knew you'd get it from somebody I wouldn't have picked. Glad we didn't go with the LMC or Dennis Carpenter card. That's a great looking setup.
Yup! And the only way I could do it was to have a gift card without a name... Of course I didn't read the part online about registering the card, so I tried to use it before I could. But I finally figured it out.

Thanks again. I love doing my own Christmas shopping. No ties, shirts or oddball things I'll never use.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Just a small update. While I was gone this week, the battery cover came in from Specialty Battery Sales.

I really like it. Now all I need is the bracket, J-bolt and hardware to arrive from Chuck's Trucks and I can put it in the truck. Well, I'm going to refurb the battery holder in the truck first, but now I can get started.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Joe,

I forget if you converted to 12v or not. That battery case top looks to be for a 12v battery. Just want to make sure Kirk doesn't have a new top for the 6v batteries.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Joe,

I forget if you converted to 12v or not. That battery case top looks to be for a 12v battery. Just want to make sure Kirk doesn't have a new top for the 6v batteries.
Well, I haven't tried to fit it yet, but I told him it was a 6 volt Optima.
EDIT: I just looked at your pic of the battery case. The top is different from yours, in that the "filler caps" are not black on mine.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Joe,

I just checked it out. The holes are centered directly over the posts, so I'm good.

EDIT: Then you had me going, so I went out and cleaned up the tray, primered and painted it, and installed the battery case and battery.

I measured the length I'll need for new cables... 14" for both will work great. I'll PM you.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Joe,

Could you please take a picture of the top cover and with your 6v Optima installed? I may want to change the top on mine if it looks more authentic.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Joe,

Could you please take a picture of the top cover and with your 6v Optima installed? I may want to change the top on mine if it looks more authentic.
Sure thing Ilya. I'll grab a shot tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Ilya, here you go... I don't have my hold down bracket yet, so the cables are just on there loosely.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
kingdakota
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator

Hello, I have a f3 radiator which shows 1950 and in great condition and has shroud attached, My Dad restored older Ford trucks with V8's only and he had a motor rebuilding shop in Mo. we have had this for near 20 years. Do you have and thoughts about where I should go with this?
Brian
314 471 6477

Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kingdakota
Hello, I have a f3 radiator which shows 1950 and in great condition and has shroud attached, My Dad restored older Ford trucks with V8's only and he had a motor rebuilding shop in Mo. we have had this for near 20 years. Do you have and thoughts about where I should go with this?
Brian
314 471 6477
Yes, you should put in the classifieds here and on your local Craigslist. Advertising items for sale in the forums is prohibited. Please use the classifieds. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
kingdakota
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
New fuel pump and battery bracket

As I promised in my "I smell gasoline" thread, I am posting pics of the new fuel pump.

Here's the old and new side-by-side. They are not identical, but the truck runs now, so the new one works. It was "assembled" in the US, but I'm sure the parts are foreign... But it's supposed to handle Ethanol. We'll see. I also spent about a half hour cleaning the rust off the fuel line to the carb. It looks better, but not new. I thought about painting it, but ran out of time and enthusiasm...

Here's the new one installed. I honestly don't think I could have gotten this done without suggestions from several FTE members. I never would have thought to remove the right wheel and access cover (because I didn't even know about the cover). And that was the only way I could get to both nuts holding on the pump. Anyway, here it is installed.

I had to run all over town to find the fitting for the fuel line to the pump. It's larger on the new pump, and I searched for about 4 hours before I found one that fit. So I ran out of daylight before I took these final pics.

Oh, and here's one of the completed battery installation. All I need now are the 1/0 cables to finish that part of the project.

Thanks again guys, for all your help. FTE is GREAT! Or is that Frosted Flakes?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Looks nice!

I recommend painting the J hook. It will develop surface rust. My buddy wasn't in today when I stopped by about the cables. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Looks nice!

I recommend painting the J hook. It will develop surface rust. My buddy wasn't in today when I stopped by about the cables. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks Ilya!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Listen up all you other newbies! These guys are smart!

Last night I posted a pic showing my new fuel pump installed.

I got a PM from Ray Tasch warning that he thought the fuel line at the pump was leaking. He advised to cut off any extra available to see if that fixed the leak. I explained I had just attached it before I took the pic, so it was probably still wet from that, and I'd check it this morning.

Well, Ray was right. When I checked it this morning, there was a nice pool of gas under the truck, the top of the new pump was covered in gas, and I felt like a fool. I followed his suggestion and cut off all the extra hose, but it leaked worse than before.

So, a trip to AutoZone, $1.32 later I have a new hose on the truck. And I can't smell gas any longer. I drove Betsy around the block and everything is fine. Maybe I didn't need to buy a new pump, but it sure looks better on there.

Now, the new speedo cable isn't spinning... so I'll check that out tomorrow. The fun never stops around here. At least I got the firewall grommet in place around the three cables (speedo, choke & throttle).

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project