Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats going on here? Leaf spring replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kc0rey
HUH? Attacked somebody? Really? Driving with a damaged suspension is not dangerous? Really? Not at all?

Well, this is the internet. Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I think yours is moronic

BTW, JMHO = Just My Humble Opinion.

And there is no need for you to fix anything for me.
OK internet Rambo.......

Lay off the red bull, and relax, Being "Humble" doesn't earn you brownie points with me.

Attacking? ok, maybe not, but being a Dick? yes, you accomplished that very well, you need to realize, and first i'll say, I'm not sure what class your in, but i'm a bit between the lower/middle class and redneck, but "You Gotta do, what you gotta do" when you have little money, and a job to get to.

Internet or not, An opinion is an opinion, yours seems more important, and i'd hate for you to smash your keyboard, so we'll go with it so your can lower your guard a little bit.

I'm not sure why, but I get this slight feeling that your going to try to keep this going, so i'll get the pop corn popping.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey kc0rey calm down I drove on a busted leaf spring for weeks with 6 sandbags in my truck bed in the middle of winter until I got the whole leaf pack replaced and nothing ever happened, it was in there tight and didn't go anywhere up until the time I had the leaf spring pack replaced.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
a broken helper spring does not constitute a dangerous condition, a broken main leaf does.
i would look at the bed cross members. they are what holds the bed together, and are probably rotted out causing the bed sides to flex.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:47 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
No more saggy butt on my truck! New leaf springs (bought over 2 months ago) are finally installed. Actually looks like I have a lift kit on the truck, which I do

Mechanic looked over the shackles and hangers, no serious rot just some minor surface rust where the coating peeled off. Wire brushed them all and looked for cracks, nothing. SO he threw some paint on them. Swell guy If it wasn't safe or in good shape he would have replaced it.

Nasty junk.....

But sadly this was broken. He asked if he wants me to have him fix it. Nahh, I fixed it once a year and a half ago. Surprised it made it this far. Luckily no wires got pulled out. Going to go overkill with the gorilla glue or jb-weld this time. UNLESS this is a easy to replace part?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MarksA-C

This pic tells me that you have worn out body bushings and that is why the cab is lower than the bed

Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
I cant figure out what the leafs have to do with the plumb line of where the cab and bed meet. They are both bolted to the frame rail and, in theory, if his back end is riding low because his leafs are broken the entire truck should simply incline from rear to front. I don't understand why it would pinch the top of the gap between bed and the cab and open up the bottom or make the bed ride high. That's why I agree with slip ford man, I think you may have bent your frame rail driving without proper rear suspension. If you are lucky maybe you just cracked a body mount so check them all, even the ones under the rear of the cab. I cant imagine what would make the bed ride higher so the rear of the cab might have settled if the mount cracked and shim fell out or something. Good luck! BTW, I feel your pain. My truck is my only vehicle and when it goes down I also have to seek "alternate transportation"

Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
Deisel Brad beat me to the punch while I was typing...and oh yeah, check the bushings!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Well its sitting a lot more level now, lines meet up a lot better on both sides. only the one side had a broken leaf, the other side was fine.

I couldn't take a good picture of it but the bed of the truck is warped a bit. It might settle but its been pretty goofy for a while. I'll see if I can't get a better pic tomorrow. I THINK the bed is just in bad shape overall. One corner is severely cracked and the other is cracked as well and the other side is badly cracked and shows welding from previous owners. Not to mention rust... Found a almost rust free bed for a few hundred, that might fix the problem?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
I'm shaking my head at the photos. The bed and the cab didn't line up yet somehow putting new leafs in made them align again????? you got me but it looks much better. Eye catching paint job as well. Happy Trails my friend

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Broken spring on drivers side caused frame to sag at that corner causing slight twist of frame, that causes misalignment in body box to cab most noticeable on passenger side.

Installing new springs corrected most of the issue and will get better over time (dependent on how long was left to sag) however still looks like as suggested the cab, box or both have some issues where mounted to frame.

Support area directly above and or bushings rusted/rotted out, looks like rear of cab judging by pictures.

That missing section of spring in no way made for a unsafe condition, especially if only used as basic transportation. Shouldn't be loaded to rated capacity no however even at that could carry some load if need be, if properly placed and secured doing so.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Been a little busy, haven't been able to reply. I've looked over all the mounts and they all look great except the core support in front. I am thinking that the bed of the truck is a bit twisted. Its rusted pretty good in the wheel wells, Looking into getting a new bed for it but that may have to wait. I am just paranoid that my frame is bending