Modular V10 (6.8l)  

OD off light flashes with tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 PM
sandaholics
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OD off light flashes with tranny issues

I have a 2000 Excursion 4x4 with the V10. Vehicle has 155k on it and I bought it 9 months ago. The overdrive off light keeps blinking when I come to a complete stop and sit for more than a second. When the light starts flashing the engine will start running rough and stall out. I have had to shift into neutral to try and avoid this, as I thought it was my tranny going out. When I shift from neutral back to drive it seems to take forever for it to engage and then its fine until the next stop. I threw a buddy`s code reader and brought up a P0720 which is the output shaft speed sensor curcuit. So I replaced the VSS and my Excursion ran great with no issues at all for 2 days and then slowly right back to the same problems. After lots of searching on here and the web I`m not so sure its my tranny that needs rebuilt. I think it might be an electrical problem. If I disconnect my battery for 20 min or so to erase the computer memory, then it runs perfect for a while and then goes back to the same problems.I found this and figured I would try replacing these next.
"
[***************]The transmissions are rear wheel drive 4 speed automatics that are all computer controlled. Common symptoms are overdrive light flashing, trans shifting erratic, slipping or not shifting at all. external sensors on the vehicle like the manual lever position sensor or throttle position sensor or vehicle speed sensor, quite often go bad causing these symptoms."

Anyone had these issues or have any advice?
[/COLOR]
[***************][/COLOR][***************]
[/COLOR]

Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Is the light flashing again? What code is stored? Don't go randomly replacing parts unless you have excess money you need to get rid of.

Getting back to your first repair, changing a VSS won't help with a P0720 code. P0720 is the output shaft sensor, not the VSS. The VSS is located on top of the rear axle, the OSS is on top of the transmission, near the rear of the transmission.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your tranny has never been rebuilt or replaced, then you are about to have some hip salad disappear. If possible get it fixed or replaced before it really craters and it will save you alot of headaches with crud in the cooler lines. I highly recommend the rebuild kit from Suncoast Converters and don't forget to change out your torqu converter at the same time. If you tow at all, add the Transgo Tugger shift kit for little money. It's not if it will happen, just when.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a misfire and bad sparkplugs or coil(s) somewhere. I had the same issue. You will get a VSS code when you run a scanner, but its a misfire. I can almost guarentee it.

Mine misfired slight and when my OD Light flashed and when flashing if at stop the trans felt like it was slipping and was hard to take off. When light was off it was fine. Change plugs/boots, drove fine for a couple days then started acting up again. Ran scanner and had 2 misfires still, so replaced those 2 coils and havent had an issue since!