Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cost of ownership: '99+ F-250 w/ PS vs '04+ F-150 w/5.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of ownership: '99+ F-250 w/ PS vs '04+ F-150 w/5.4

I realize that comparing a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton is like comparing apples to oranges, but I would like to hear what people have to say. How does the cost of ownership/maintenance for a F-250 with a PS compare to a F-150 with a 5.4L?

My driving factor for wanting a PS is that any truck I'm going to get is likely going to have 100k+ miles (less for a F-150). I think I'd be better off getting a PS with 100k+ than a 5.4 with 80k+. I've seen plenty of 5.4L trucks for sale with rebuilt engines and less than 150k miles. With a PS, I should be good well beyond 250k.

I'm capable of doing much of the maintenance/repairs myself, however my time tends to be limited. I often wind up having to just drop my vehicles off at a garage to get worked on. I do have a second vehicle though, so if something breaks on the truck, I can get to it when I get to it.

Looking around online at parts, they don't seem to be too outrageous...even the aftermarket stuff. I'm coming from a '97 Toyota Land Cruiser though . I would be hard pressed to find something that's more expensive to maintain. I would appreciate any insight that you can offer.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Well the first question you need to answer is what are you going to do with the truck? Are you going be hauling stuff or it is more of a daily driver?

If it is just going to be a daily driver I would go with the F150, honestly a diesel can be very expensive. It requires 4 times the oil, which costs more per gallon anyways, it burns a more expensive fuel, and most ppl's mpg difference isn't enough to cover the added maintenance and upfront costs of the diesel. Everything is more expensive on a diesel for the most part.

If you have a specific need for a larger truck, such as snow plowing and heavier trailer towing, then the 7.3 is a good option.

I have no personal experience with the 5.4, though I do have a family friend that 305k on one. I put 207k on a 351 in a bronco that had a 7.5 foot western plow hanging off it every winter. My father put 257k on the 302 in his 1986 F-150 and my mother has put 145k on a 302 in her mounty...none had any engine issues. So Ford small blocks have a good reputation for longevity if properly maintained.

Food for thought:

Home

Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Personally I had a 97 f150 4x4 33 inch tires and exhaust.now I have a 99 ps and I love it stock except exhaust and air filter and larger tires and I'm getting better mpg now than with a 4.6 I was getting 10 in town and now I get around 16

Old 08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by rufushusky
Well the first question you need to answer is what are you going to do with the truck? Are you going be hauling stuff or it is more of a daily driver?

If it is just going to be a daily driver I would go with the F150, honestly a diesel can be very expensive. It requires 4 times the oil, which costs more per gallon anyways, it burns a more expensive fuel, and most ppl's mpg difference isn't enough to cover the added maintenance and upfront costs of the diesel. Everything is more expensive on a diesel for the most part.

If you have a specific need for a larger truck, such as snow plowing and heavier trailer towing, then the 7.3 is a good option.

I have no personal experience with the 5.4, though I do have a family friend that 305k on one. I put 207k on a 351 in a bronco that had a 7.5 foot western plow hanging off it every winter. My father put 257k on the 302 in his 1986 F-150 and my mother has put 145k on a 302 in her mounty...none had any engine issues. So Ford small blocks have a good reputation for longevity if properly maintained.

Food for thought:

Home
It's going to be more of a daily driver. Any hauling will be few/far between and likely within the safe limits of what a 1/2 ton could handle.

Yeah...that's the main drawback that I was already considering. At the end of the day...If I go with this option, it would be because like every other office dweller that has one...I just want a diesel.

I've heard good things about the older 300 and 302. I was originally considering picking up a late 80's-early 90's F-150 for a beater. If I decide to go the 1/2 ton route, I may just do that. There's not much of a point (to me) to spend $10k+ on a half ton when I can get something for one fifth the price that will do what I need it to.

Thank you. Your comments are right along the lines of what I was thinking.

Edit:
Originally Posted by 89broncoll
Personally I had a 97 f150 4x4 33 inch tires and exhaust.now I have a 99 ps and I love it stock except exhaust and air filter and larger tires and I'm getting better mpg now than with a 4.6 I was getting 10 in town and now I get around 16
Yeah...my parents had a '98 Expedition with the 5.4. They put about 110k on it. It went through brakes quickly, but it never had a mechanical issue.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My sister hassle 99 expedition with 230k. Only maintenance

Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one reasons i got mine was i dont like to shop of trucks so i wont one that will last 50 years. my brother drives a 2009 f150 2wd CC for work with the smaller v8 and i only gets 16mpg at best.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Based on what your really going to use the truck for...get a gasser, even if the motor blows their dirt cheap to buy reman'd or rebuild versus the diesel...Now if their is that little part of you that just wants the awesome clacky 7.3, thats cool too and i don't blame ya , maitenance costs are 2x plus the 5.4 and a little wrenching here and there is necessary...I personally don't use my truck for work as much anymore as my business grew but I am a car nut and I just love the 7.3....something just special about hearing that beast come to life every morning

Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
My coworker has an 05 F150 5.4. At 50k he put a few grand in it doing cam phasers, and all the timing chain related wear parts. He's getting 15mpg at best and now at 130k its due for the same repairs. $2100 was his cheapest estimate. He considered a replacment. Engine but 3 of the last 4 places won't touch a 5.4 because of cam phaser warrenty issues.
He's been anti diesel since we met, and he's currently shopping for a diesel...
Just my .02

Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes a 7.3 is expensive to own butt nothing beats nailing the throttle and having 28lbs of boost and rolling big coal out the exhaust!! Can't do that with a 5.4!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Those early 3V 5.4L modular engines had terrible problems with the spark plugs breaking off in the heads.

You'll have to do some research, but IIRC, even if you take it to the dealer to have them changed, they won't cover the expense of having them removed if their tech breaks them off. And from what I understand, it's almost a given that at least one of them will.

Stewart

Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by snakedoc
one reasons i got mine was i dont like to shop of trucks so i wont one that will last 50 years. my brother drives a 2009 f150 2wd CC for work with the smaller v8 and i only gets 16mpg at best.
That is one of my reasons. I HATE used vehicle shopping. I bought my current commuter via just looking for price, body type (I wanted a wagon), and mileage. In the past, I went by model, mileage, engine, transmission, etc. So yes...part of me just wants something that I can get, drive, and not have to replace anytime soon.

Originally Posted by 4EXTRDR
Based on what your really going to use the truck for...get a gasser, even if the motor blows their dirt cheap to buy reman'd or rebuild versus the diesel...Now if their is that little part of you that just wants the awesome clacky 7.3, thats cool too and i don't blame ya , maitenance costs are 2x plus the 5.4 and a little wrenching here and there is necessary...I personally don't use my truck for work as much anymore as my business grew but I am a car nut and I just love the 7.3....something just special about hearing that beast come to life every morning
While I can do a lot of basic repairs/maintenance...I'll be honest and say that an engine replacement is WAY out of my league. I have a brother in law that's a mechanic and I could pull that card if I HAD to...but I'd rather not go there. Even "dirt cheap" (for a 5.4) is going to mean $3k+ installed. That's a LOT of preventative maintenance in a 7.3 to avoid the same problem.

Part of me really does want the clickity clack of a diesel. I had a diesel MB sedan for a while and I thought that thing sounded cool as hell. It had 291k on it before the engine seized up and I got rid of it. No idea what was wrong with it. As I pretty much got it for free, I was unwilling to spend $,$$$ to have it repaired.

Originally Posted by Franko72
My coworker has an 05 F150 5.4. At 50k he put a few grand in it doing cam phasers, and all the timing chain related wear parts. He's getting 15mpg at best and now at 130k its due for the same repairs. $2100 was his cheapest estimate. He considered a replacment. Engine but 3 of the last 4 places won't touch a 5.4 because of cam phaser warrenty issues.
He's been anti diesel since we met, and he's currently shopping for a diesel...
Just my .02
Most of my driving is city and occasional mixed. Something tells me I'm not going to get much better than that out of a 7.3. Based on the mechanical issues that the 5.4's have though, I'm wondering if the cost would balance out with the preventative maintenance of a 7.3. You can buy a LOT of preventative maintenance for the cost of a rebuild or engine replacement. It sounds like that's the conclusion your co-worker reached.

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
Yes a 7.3 is expensive to own butt nothing beats nailing the throttle and having 28lbs of boost and rolling big coal out the exhaust!! Can't do that with a 5.4!
I need to look around online and find some invoices or estimates. While I'm sure it's pricey...I'd like to see just how pricey it is. As I said...my Land Cruiser wasn't cheap to maintain, so I doubt this would be a shock to the system. Is this a once every few months thing though...or a regular basis? I pretty much set aside a couple hundred bucks a month as a repair budget for the LC. Granted I didn't need it...but when the occasional issue popped up, I was prepared for it.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Those early 3V 5.4L modular engines had terrible problems with the spark plugs breaking off in the heads.

You'll have to do some research, but IIRC, even if you take it to the dealer to have them changed, they won't cover the expense of having them removed if their tech breaks them off. And from what I understand, it's almost a given that at least one of them will.

Stewart
I appreciate the help. I can see that I've come to the right place to help with with this decision.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 97 F150 that I bought new. 4.6 auto 4x4 Ext . I put 180,000 miles on it.
Replaced the starter, Alt, spark Plugs and wires. Also had the wiper actuator arms replaced.

That was all I had done except for routine maintenance. My 7.3 has already cost me more than that, but I had to have a bigger truck to haul my 5ver. I have put 40,000 of 160,000 that the 7.3 has on it. Just my .02

Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My friend has a 02 expedition 4x4 w 5.4 150 thousand miles and gets 12 mpg till it blew #7 plug out (first time I got to tow with my superduty) it's in the shop now, $2000 for a new head or drill and tap a new plug hole for $500-700! Called three dealers and said it's somewhat common, they have all done it before. My 97 2wd 100000 got 19mpg till now getting misfire on #7 I'm afraid to look at it hope just a bad coil. Dealer says to pull sparkplugs out every oil change! Aluminum heads and the deep hole the plugs are down in don't go good together with corrotion.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Another thing is if you use the 7.3 in a "commuter" fashion versus a towing rig it's going to give less problems too just because of the lack of stress on the truck (some stupid electronics like a cps are unavoidable). If i were you, I would search for an original owner (maybe 2..) very well kept 7.3, you would be surprised the difference in one used for heavy work versus a commuter...I've seen big differences in some of my trucks i've bought for the business. The 2 vans I got from the guy who bought them new to haul computer equipment to upstate NY every week had high miles but ran and performed flawlessly...one now has over 320K and runs like it's new still.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by hammer65
I had a 97 F150 that I bought new. 4.6 auto 4x4 Ext . I put 180,000 miles on it.
Replaced the starter, Alt, spark Plugs and wires. Also had the wiper actuator arms replaced.

That was all I had done except for routine maintenance. My 7.3 has already cost me more than that, but I had to have a bigger truck to haul my 5ver. I have put 40,000 of 160,000 that the 7.3 has on it. Just my .02
I've heard good things about the 4.6l. Is that the same block that's in the Mustang? I've got a co-worker that's had 6+lbs of boost on his for over 50k of his 100k+ miles (plus the occasional 100 shot of nitrous) and his engine is holding up fine.

I've got an uncle with a '98 F-150 that has the six banger. It's got 180k miles and doesn't sound great...but it hasn't stranded him.

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
My friend has a 02 expedition 4x4 w 5.4 150 thousand miles and gets 12 mpg till it blew #7 plug out (first time I got to tow with my superduty) it's in the shop now, $2000 for a new head or drill and tap a new plug hole for $500-700! Called three dealers and said it's somewhat common, they have all done it before. My 97 2wd 100000 got 19mpg till now getting misfire on #7 I'm afraid to look at it hope just a bad coil. Dealer says to pull sparkplugs out every oil change! Aluminum heads and the deep hole the plugs are down in don't go good together with corrotion.
That sounds about par for the course with what I've read and heard.

Originally Posted by 4EXTRDR
Another thing is if you use the 7.3 in a "commuter" fashion versus a towing rig it's going to give less problems too just because of the lack of stress on the truck (some stupid electronics like a cps are unavoidable). If i were you, I would search for an original owner (maybe 2..) very well kept 7.3, you would be surprised the difference in one used for heavy work versus a commuter...I've seen big differences in some of my trucks i've bought for the business. The 2 vans I got from the guy who bought them new to haul computer equipment to upstate NY every week had high miles but ran and performed flawlessly...one now has over 320K and runs like it's new still.
That's kinda what I was thinking too. Most of the maintenance my dad has had to perform on his Duramax 2500HD is due to towing a Bobcat and heavy trailer around (by his own admission).

Quick Reply: Cost of ownership: '99+ F-250 w/ PS vs '04+ F-150 w/5.4