Synthetic oil a Waste or Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator06
Good point on diesels - my comment was about gas engines -
I figured that, but you didn't specify. There are gas and diesel turbo cars. Just clarifying

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM
truckerdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Ford believes that paying for full syn is a waste of money as the MC 5W-20 is a semi syn and costs about half as much. Ford expects the same drain interval no matter which oil is used.

I've used mobil1 extended performance for the past many many years and have had great results with it. I did extend my drain intervals out to 10K or annually.

I've since converted my Expy back to MC 5W-20 semi syn will no side effects and and she runs great. 15K on the clock since I converted back.

I intend to run MC oil in all my vehicles from now on.
Actually Ford recommends full synthetic as one of their approved oils. I suggest you read your owners manual

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truckerdude
Actually Ford recommends full synthetic as one of their approved oils. I suggest you read your owners manual
I agree with that statement!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually it may depend on the year. My 09 manual specifically states:

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)
Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada) (Note 1)

Note 1: Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
I don't think anyone implied it was mandatory. Only recommended.

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic
  • Top-quality motor oil for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury passenger cars
  • American Petroleum Institute (API)-certified for gasoline engine service ILSAC GF-4 and meets API SM/Energy Conserving
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic base oils that provide good high-temperature and low-temperature performance
  • Helps minimize engine deposits and wear
  • Helps protect against high-temperature oxidation, low-temperature gelling, rust, corrosion and foaming
  • Friction-reducing technology provides excellent wear protection and features energy-conserving characteristics, which offer significant improvement in fuel economy when compared to SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company, meeting warranty requirements
  • Available in one-quart bottles or 55-gallon quantities

Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by truckerdude
I understand that and I have read my owner's manual. I was making a simple point about Mobil1 products and some of the negativity that I've been reading lately. No links and it's not important enough for me to justify.

I've used Mobil1 since 1995 and even extended my drain cycles from the factory recommended intervals to 10K on a '95 T-bird, an '02 Focus, a '99 Taurus and my '04 Expy with absolutely no adverse results. All of these vehicles are still on the road doing the king's business and the Taurus has over 150K on the clock.

It seems that the factory fill which is MC 5W-30 for the EB application provides plenty of protection and is approved by the manufacturer.

I'm considering switching everything over to the Castrol synthetic, using appropriate viscosities for my applications and MC filters of course.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with the Castrol synthetic would be appreciated from anyone or everyone.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Any thoughts or personal experiences with the Castrol synthetic would be appreciated from anyone or everyone.
Alot of people and myself included feel that Castrol synthetic (Edge w/Titanium) has made their current SN formula cheaper than the SM formula.

Castrol no longer boast 8x better wear protection than Mobil 1. Probably because they perform equal in wear protection or Mobil 1 now outperforms Edge on wear protection.

Castrol is owned by BP so you can decide for yourself on that topic.

My experience with Castrol Edge (SM) vs Mobil 1 (SN) is that the Castrol started out making excellent fuel economy and quiet valvetrain operation in the Ford 3.5, but by 3k miles it's fuel economy started to really drop and the flat buckets started to get a little noisy so the oil was dumped. The Mobil 1 on the other hand maintained excellent fuel economy thru the complete 6k mile OCI and maintained quiet valvetrain operation.

For now I prefer the Moly additive in Mobil 1 vs the Titanium in the Edge, although I havn't ran the Titanium Edge SN version.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
A lot of people do a lot of things and get by with it. I've done a lot of research on the subject and if you will do a search on the use of full synthetic oils you will find that most of the so called experts say to change full synthetic at the same regular interval as standard oil. This subject has been discussed more times on the internet than I can remember. Don't take my word for it. I can only speak from my 46 years of driving.

There people that claim they get better fuel mileage and performance with higher octane than what the manufacturer recommends but that contradicts the way fuel octane works. If they beleive it I guess that's all that counts.

I would recommend anyone do research and not arbitrarily take the word of a stranger.
im a little slow off the draw here, so forgive me.

i agree, you should not take the word of anyone except qualified professionals, one of which i am not.

I do, however, feel somewhat compelled to express my opinion on "doing stuff and getting by with it" I don't think anything about my experience with this car and my 10-12k oil change interval gave me the feeling that i was just "getting away with it" or just "getting by"

I started that practice on a car with 150K miles on the clock and quit somewhere around 200K because i got a job closer to my home, afterwhich i resumed 5k change intervals with motorcraft oil.

during this 50K miles of "abuse" (i wouldnt argue too much with using that term) the motor never used any oil between changes. I checked the oil evertime i fueled up (which was every other day at least) and i never had to add. (i checked it religiously because my mortgage was riding on that car getting me to work and back every day).

I will admit that i did have a problem with Mobil 1 oil in that car. after 5K miles on Mobil 1 i had added a full quart to top off and i just changed the oil at that point. After that I just changed back to Castrol Syntec and never had to add again.

to this day that car has never used any oil between oil changes. (with the mobil 1 exception noted above)

Im not saying anyone should do this, especially with a 4 qt oil system. but there were no decernable side effects from the 50K miles in which i changed the oil no more than 5 times. at no time did i ever think i was just getting by; if i had, i would have discontinued the practice immediatly. like i said, my mortgage was riding on that car.

synthetics are good ... let their be no doubt.
but you will never go wrong changing your oil at 3k.

just thought i'd add

Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
wmbeattie
Freshman User
I remember a cold spell in winter. The temperature was in the single digits. I was going to have an oil change. There was Motorcraft 5w20 in the engine. The engine grunted and cranked slowly. Oil was replaced with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. The next day it was just as cold. The engine spun like it was summer! Synthetic oil made a difference.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Alot of people and myself included feel that Castrol synthetic (Edge w/Titanium) has made their current SN formula cheaper than the SM formula.

Castrol no longer boast 8x better wear protection than Mobil 1. Probably because they perform equal in wear protection or Mobil 1 now outperforms Edge on wear protection.

Castrol is owned by BP so you can decide for yourself on that topic.

My experience with Castrol Edge (SM) vs Mobil 1 (SN) is that the Castrol started out making excellent fuel economy and quiet valvetrain operation in the Ford 3.5, but by 3k miles it's fuel economy started to really drop and the flat buckets started to get a little noisy so the oil was dumped. The Mobil 1 on the other hand maintained excellent fuel economy thru the complete 6k mile OCI and maintained quiet valvetrain operation.

For now I prefer the Moly additive in Mobil 1 vs the Titanium in the Edge, although I havn't ran the Titanium Edge SN version.
That was also my experience with Castrol. I was using Castrol when I changed to Amsoil.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Dutch123
Elder User
This is apple to oranges maybe but in my FSBronco 5.8L - I started syn oil at 35-40K I think and continued until I sold it with 270K. I kept that synthetic (RedLine) in there for sometimes summer months 6-8K then other months 10-12K even 15K. Maybe not the smartest thing to do in SoFla but I did.

Now I have the "11 F150 with the 5.0 and I am considering mileage intervals and oil types.

MC syn blend
Amsiol
Redline

7500miles for the change. BTW did I see in my OM (onwers manual) I need 8qts oil???

thoughts?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys need to do some research on Bob Is The Oil Guy. I can shorten your research time though and say that according to all the used oil analysis and virgin oil analysis, Pennzoil Ultra is probably the best off the shelf synthetic out there. I use the platinum in my 92 F-150 and it runs like a champ. I like many people hated pennzoil for a long time, but these new oils are the real deal, mang. My 2001 Mustang Bullitt has a high compression 5.0 stroker in it and I trust it to Pennzoil Ultra. So does Ferrari!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Dutch123
Elder User
Maybe Penzoil has changed their formula but IMHO because of past indiscresions- I'll pass.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
For everyone's information. The new Mustang 5.0 engine has a "Full Synthetic Oil Recommended" sticker on the engine valve cover.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
parkgt
5th Wheeling
For most of us does it really matter!!!

I worry about picking the right oil too and have spent hours on Bob the oil Guy.

But does it really matter for most of us which oil we choose? I say it doesn't as long as we change it at the correct interval. How many documented case do you know of, of an engine failing because of the brand of oil used?

Few of us will keep our trucks long enough for the brand of engine oil to be a factor in how long it runs or how well it runs if we stay with a reasonable change interval and oil spec.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil a Waste or Worth it?