HVAC not working.... I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
hojolabo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC not working.... I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

HVAC vac line was broke/cracked somewhere between the passenger side entrance through the firewall and running across under the dash to the junction block near the accelerator pedal.
Tried pulling vacuum at the firewall and got nearly no resistance. Traced the line to the junction block (black line) and clipped it about 1-1/2 " from the block on the supply side and routed a new line from the tee across the cowling and inside the wire loom from the passenger side to the drivers side, looped the line around and through the rubber grommet in the firewall for a clutch pedal and reduced the 3/16" line to 1/8" with a coupler that I carefully drilled to fit the factory line inside of. Reset the junction block back into the mounting bracket, started the engine and I was happier than a pig in mud. Six foot of vacuum line a coupling and about 45 minutes to reroute the line.
However, this does not take into account the time I spent tracing and figuring out what the problem really was. In retrospect if I would have started at the beginning and not the end I would have finished sooner and learned a lot less.
Hopefully with the amount of vacuum I was loosing that there will be a slight but noticeable improvement in my MPG, the new line also allows me to make an easy tap for a vacuum gauge to follow.... I know that will improve my MPG if I pay attention to the gauge.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing brings a smile to one's face then fixing a problem that most people would have thrown the towel in on. A couple of good tools and the ability to make it work are what make it special.