1978 Ford Crew Cummins Swap

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Nice! One of the neat things is seeing a truck actually used.
X2 on that.
That truck is/will be a valuable memory for those kids.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Higbean
Senior User
Originally Posted by turbohunter
X2 on that.
That truck is/will be a valuable memory for those kids.
Thanks guys. The girls love the truck. The two little ones sleep on the front bench seats and Mom and I get the back. They've been begging to do the snow trip since we got back.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 AM
punkrockpilot
Senior User
Thats exactly what im prepping my truck to do. Perfect truck for camping and building memories. How did that Vintage air work out?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Higbean
Senior User
It's not installed yet. I took out the dash, column, loom and factory ac this week. Firewall has been completely covered with dynamat. Got things ready to put in the Nostalgic air kit when a friend called to tell me he has the same kit and the defroster hardly works. Looking at it I can see why. The outlet on the evaporator is half the size of the inlet for the defrost vents on our trucks. I need to figure out a way to neck it down. I'll probably scrounge up a smaller vent from the junk yards and make it fit.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Higbean
It's not installed yet. I took out the dash, column, loom and factory ac this week. Firewall has been completely covered with dynamat. Got things ready to put in the Nostalgic air kit when a friend called to tell me he has the same kit and the defroster hardly works. Looking at it I can see why. The outlet on the evaporator is half the size of the inlet for the defrost vents on our trucks. I need to figure out a way to neck it down. I'll probably scrounge up a smaller vent from the junk yards and make it fit.
Hi, I have a Nostalgic Air also and can confirm that the defrost hardly has any air coming out and there is no floor vent. Now the A/C does work very though. My friend has a Vintage Air in his 60 F100 and it has 2 ducts for the defroster and floor vents that work independent of each other or blend. The Nostligic just blends the dash vents and the defroster.

Dan

Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 PM
firemedicober
Junior User
I was thinking of switching the center vent and the defrost hoses
As the velocity is much higher on it, also I think I will try out one of the cable controlled a/c thermostats to get rid of the extra ****. Anyone else get their heater to actually get the cab warm? Think I might do a back seat heat and evaporator like Higbean and I were talking about.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Nick, the problem isn't with the unit. The problem is the huge volume of the Ford defrost vents. If a guy found a smaller vent or necked down the exit of the vent it would put on more pressure. I'll send you a pic of how I'm doing mine.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Just about done with the wiring. Been at it everyday for what seems like a month.

I put in a power distribution box from an Expedition. It will make adding stuff very easy.

Had to take a little time every afternoon to help the little one learn to ride her bike. I've taught all my girls how to ride a bike. Kinda sad this is the last one.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM
firemedicober
Junior User
Looking great man, you done anything else with the defroster setup? All I've done is drive it to work and use the bath towel defroster... Little hard with a cup of coffee..

Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Higbean
Senior User
No I have been too busy with the wiring. Hoping to have it wrapped up tomorrow and get on to the ac/heater.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM
punkrockpilot
Senior User
Love that power dust box. Gonna pick one up next time I'm at the JY.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Originally Posted by punkrockpilot
Love that power dust box. Gonna pick one up next time I'm at the JY.
Yeah man, I'm digging it as well. Has a ton of room for adding more stuff. I even grabbed a satellite relay box that mounts on the same stand. (Can't figure out how to get the bottom off for the life of me!) The coolest part is, if you need to add something, you throw in a fuse and run a wire. Done.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just read your thread. Great job and I too am happy to see another truck being used and not stored. Now that you have done multiple trips how's your fuel mileage?
Did you ever change your gearing to something higher than 4.10s?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Just read your thread. Great job and I too am happy to see another truck being used and not stored. Now that you have done multiple trips how's your fuel mileage?
Did you ever change your gearing to something higher than 4.10s?
Well, I get 12 going up hill and 19 going down. Still getting around 15.5 mpg around town. Stuck with the 4.10 ratio and will be going through the trans in the next few months. It's pretty slushy. Almost time for tires and thinking about going from 35" to 37" too. Haven't quite talked myself into them yet though.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get into the trans are you doing the converter, you mentioned debating that.
Did the D60 you got have 4.10s in it? Me doing a diesel swap is a long ways off but I'll be doing a ZF-5 swap in the next couple weeks so my motor won't be screaming down the freeway, I get 11mpg around town and 7.5mpg on the freeway with the C6+4.56s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 Ford Crew Cummins Swap