1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - Big Changes on the Horizon AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Con-Gran-U-Lations - New Job - Do your job and do it well - Assist others when you can as long as they are doing all they can and your work doesn't suffer.
Do not make yourself indespensable - They will take you for another ride.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
BOR,
Sounds like you handled it with class and integrity.The people you work with sound like a pretty good group of guys, but like you said, you need to take care of you and your family.

Good luck in your new job. I'm sure a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Good for you. Work hard and work long. Do more than you have to. You sound like a great asset to the company. Some guys say they work smart, not hard and find themselves without a job. You sound smarter than that......AND will climb the corporate ladder....maybe even boss.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on the new job
An older gent told me once "a job that pays good money but you really don't like just eats away at you, but a job you love won't show up in the bank account, but your outlook on life will be so much better for it" After having jobs in many different shops I realize now what he meant. I am now self employed and love it. So far the downfall of the economy hasn't had a great affect on my work. Folks aren't buying or upgrading their equipment, so I have more work keeping the older stuff going that I can handle.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
edzakory
Elder User
It seems an appropriate thread to pass on some words of wisdom that I embraced for the latter portion of my life. I only regret that I did not have them sooner. The theme is ATTITUDE:

The longer I live the, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a team, a family or a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude…I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. – Charles Swindoll

So Bobby, Alcaeus, and others that have expressed their plight, remember to keep a good attitude. It may make all the difference. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
BOR,

Glad you're making the move. I've been in the same situation myself and some times it's best to move along, even if it's a lateral move or maybe a downward move. I am sure you'll be able to move up quickly as long as you put the effort in.

Ed, I agree attitude is an important factor. I try to keep a positive attitude the majority of the time and it helps. Even though in my last post I sounded negative about having my own business I probably still wouldn't want to work for some one else. Bosses drive me nuts. Many times customers can be a PIA but I just have to pacify them until I can get them out the door and then I get the job done. I don't have to talk to the customer every day like I had to with a couple of the bosses I had. One little truth I have discovered in the over ten years I've been self employed, the customer is not always right. They're only right when they're in front of you. Just make them happy, do a good job and move onto the next one.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damm we have a great attitude as a group....

Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
My wife says I full of attitude.....
w
Remember to keep your focus on the horizon and not the chop of the waves.
w

Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Good to see you have the strength of character that the higher ups were lacking. Congrats on the new position. Best wishes for your continued success.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BOR, Congrats on the new position. Seems so many of us are in the same situation including myself. I was laid off last October, found another position and let go 6 months later. Found another position and let go 2and a half months later. The stress is killing me. The wife is very understanding but how long will that last ? I posted a thread a couple of days ago about selling my truck "how much is it worth" and the positive response from this forum really lifted by spirits. Nobody wants me to sell the truck including my wife. I hear ya about attitude. I'm working on it evey day. Went for an interview yesterday haven't heard back yet. Sounds like you did the right thing. Being the "new guy" is no fun, but it will pass. Be thankful for the positive things in your life, you're young and skilled. I'm 61 and skilled with 35 years in my field. Who do you think would get hired first ? Be happy life's crappy.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rage, congrats on the new job. I left all that political crap in the office behind many years ago and have been retired 17 years. I haven't thought about work for a long time now...except on my old truck!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
BOR

Very good! I'm glad it went good for you. I can only imagine how much lighter you must feel having that behind you.

Bobby

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck dude and remember family comes first. Change is a good thing. GOD BLESS

Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Most of my co-workers are either nearing retirement age or they're totally unskilled. They're stuck there and I really feel for them. That'd be me.

I'm not so sure that the new gig is going to be my dream job, but even if it's not ideal, it will definitely be a nice, stable lifeboat to carry me through until the perfect opportunity comes along. Thanks again for listening and sharing your stories. When you're in a bad situation, it's easy to start feeling isolated and alone. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's not happy.
Sing me back home is a Merle Haggard song that comes to mind when I read the last paragraph, lol. Best of luck with the new gig, Joe.