1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

bleeding breaks ranger help

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM
markfish1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleeding breaks ranger help

well im new to this site so here we go, i hade a front left wheel bearing go out on my ranger xlt,1999 4x4 auto matic,with abs breaks,my abs,light has been on for a long time so when i replaced the hub bearing it had the new abs. in it so i bought all new rotors calabers and,pads and abs cable for the front right and put all new part on the front,now here is the problem the abs light is now off but we tried for 45 min,to bleed the breaks and there not building any pressor on peddle at all and no leaks that i can see but thr back breaks have not been worked on for 5 years,but i just went and bought all new parts,why wont thr front bleed out,thanks markfish1

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like your proportioning valve is plugged or faulty. This is especially likely to happen if there is debris inside the system, even more especially if you compressed on of the brake pistons without opening a bleed screw, which forces old fluid backwards through the valve.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
markfish1
New User
thanks

how do i check that and i just pulled the back drums of and parts were falling out nothing let so im now trying to replace the never done back drums before got back right almost done but cant find were the emergs,cable hooks to on the bottom has a spring and a peace of flat steel on that end,im lost there both side were broken off

Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
markfish1
New User
all new breaks still problem

well i replaced all new front rotors calaberd pads and abs cables then replaced all new back drums master cyl, spring kit pind and break linnes in back bleed the system till all four were clear fluid and no air ,so here is my problem the peddle is good but when i hit the breaks the 1st time they dont berak hard then hit the peddle the 2 time and stop good what is causing this i back the truck up a long ways wile hitting the breaks to adjust the back and they stop me fast going backwards,but not in drive what else can it be,like i said every thing is new and bleed out but the master cyclinder has a bleeder on shuild this be bleed to thanks,markfish

Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
ditch witch
Senior User
Bleed the brakes with the engine running. Start on RR, LR, RF, LF.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 AM
markfish1
New User
thanks

ditch wich,thanks for the tip and that is the order in how i did bleed them twice with 44.oz of new fluid,done them all twice and was clear and air free,for sure now i think it maybe a master cyclender going bad;like i stated there good on the 2nd pump of the pedle got good pedle just dont grap good the first pump ,thanks markfish

Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
ditch witch
Senior User
The ranger I've had for just a couple of months with low mileage (48,000, one owner). The brake and ABS light came on at the same time. I wanted to flush out as much brake fluid as possible while bleeding because BF absorbs moisture causing great problems after time.

On this truck I could not pump the brake peddle to bleed unless the engine was running. I don't pretend to understand the ABS system, but that was required. Maybe it's an indication of other problems to come!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
markfish1
New User
all bleed out

same here last year i went to a junkyark and got a abs,box with the 6 or so lines comming out of it and has the black motor but thst dident fix a thing still got old one so im thinking of putting it back on and see if the ford shop will put the card in and bleed it or iv got a master cyclender going bad cause the back drums are hot after a ride but not the front so this tells me the front is not working right this abs,is a pain in the,ss

Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, ABS is not your problem, either your master cylinder or proportioning valve is shot.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you removed and replaced the ABS valve, AND if you have 4 wheel ABS and not the rear wheel only ABS, then you cannot bleed the brake system without some special tools. There is some sort of electronic box that is plugged into the ABS valve and bleeds it. You will have to take it to someone who has that tool.

If the valve has not been opened and air allowed into it. then the 4 wheel ABS can be bled normally without the special tool.

At this point, my suggestion is take it in to a Ford tech and let them check it out.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
ditch witch
Senior User
markfish1, It might do good to tell what year truck you have. You will get information that will apply to your vehicle.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markfish1
well im new to this site so here we go, i hade a front left wheel bearing go out on my ranger xlt,1999 4x4 auto matic,with abs breaks,my abs,light has been on for a long time so when i replaced the hub bearing it had the new abs. in it so i bought all new rotors calabers and,pads and abs cable for the front right and put all new part on the front,now here is the problem the abs light is now off but we tried for 45 min,to bleed the breaks and there not building any pressor on peddle at all and no leaks that i can see but thr back breaks have not been worked on for 5 years,but i just went and bought all new parts,why wont thr front bleed out,thanks markfish1
From the OP

Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
markfish1
New User
ditch witch

in my first post 8.4.11 you will see that i did put the year the model and all the new parts installed in other post but it over,like i said in one of my post i got a abs, box w,black motor and 5 break lines at a junk yard, and that dident fix the abs,light,but im sure glad i keep the old one,cause i put the old one back on today and bleed the master cyclender 3 times and no air took it for a spin around the block hit peddle and abought went out the winshild,shes back my babys got breaks and darn good ones too just like the day i bought her in 1999,now i can feel safe letting the wife drive it and tow my nitro,again,just want to say thanks to all that tryed to help,markfish1