1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My great-grandfather's F3

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Drewbie63
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My great-grandfather's F3

I've recently started restoring an F3. It was originally my great-grandfather's pick-up and has been in my family since it was driven off the showroom floor. One issue I'm encountering is that no one in my family knows exactly what year it is. It's definitely a 48-50, but I can't nail it down beyond that right now. It was last driven in 1981 when it was parked in the corner of a shed. It was rolled at one point in time and has it's fair share of dings and dents, but it's still very much solid. The frame is in great shape and except for rust around the base of the bed, I've only got relatively mild surface rust to contend with.
So to start, some before pictures:

This weekend I was finally able to spend some quality time tearing it apart. I've got pretty much everything in front of the cab taken off and piled up for it's trip to get reshaped and sandblasted for a nice coat of primer. I'm focusing on the tear down and body work as I'm not as knowledgeable about everything I'll get to once I've got it torn down to the frame. The engine does turn, but needs a great deal of work. While contemplating where to start with that, I got a lead on a running flathead 8 sitting on an engine stand in a shed not 10 miles from my father-in-laws farm where I'm working on this project. Depending on what I find once I start digging into the suspension and brakes, I'm optimistic that what I thought might end up being a 10 year project might come down to maybe as few as 2.

As suggested, I'll post the serial number here shortly.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum... This is a great site with lots of information... besides the serial number if you find letters and numbers stamped on, in the middle of the firewall some of the guys are great at telling you more info about your truck like the exact date it was built & the original color... Once again great story and truck...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In my opinion it would be a 1950 since it has the dual wipers.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Great story, awesome pics.

It was rolled! Holy crap, that's insane to see that truck still actually in existence! Amazing!

Any old pics from way back when? Welcome by the way!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
In my opinion it would be a 1950 since it has the dual wipers.
The silver grille would indicate 49-50. Since dual wipers were an option from the beginning, it's hard to use that as a deciding factor. I saw a guy's very stock, very original October '48 F-1 last weekend and it had dual wipers. I was a little surprised. When the OP posts his numbers, we'll be able to figure it out better.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Big IV
Senior User
I have no suggestions on how to identify that truck, but I do like the in-the-family story. Good luck on the project.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
very nice truck...good to see someone else saveing a working truck ..too many half ton's around here ..lol...so how far are you going ?? restore ..to new.?? rebuild to play ..or..??I see a lot of high buck trucks that flat out amaze me ...I prefer not to have to worry about getting my truck wet ..or playing with her..so ...what are YOU gonna do..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by kenjh
very nice truck...good to see someone else saveing a working truck ..too many half ton's around here ..lol...so how far are you going ?? restore ..to new.?? rebuild to play ..or..??I see a lot of high buck trucks that flat out amaze me ...I prefer not to have to worry about getting my truck wet ..or playing with her..so ...what are YOU gonna do..
"What you talkin bout, Willis" f1 did more then their far share of work... LOL....

Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Drewbie63
Trailering
My goal is to first get it running, then see where I'm at in my investment. I'm a woodworker hobbyist so my intention is to use it as my lumber hauler once it works. Now, that's not a very demanding request of something this beefy, so if things work out and I can swing it, I'd like to get this thing to showroom quality so I can take it to some shows and maybe, just maybe my kids will want to use it for prom or something.

First and foremost is to get the body restored, the brakes working, and the engine purring.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Nice truck great story.
Keep us informed on how your progress goes. We love lots of pictures.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewbie63
My goal is to first get it running, then see where I'm at in my investment. I'm a woodworker hobbyist so my intention is to use it as my lumber hauler once it works. Now, that's not a very demanding request of something this beefy, so if things work out and I can swing it, I'd like to get this thing to showroom quality so I can take it to some shows and maybe, just maybe my kids will want to use it for prom or something.

First and foremost is to get the body restored, the brakes working, and the engine purring.
You might run into an issue with the gearing. I have a feeling the gearing in that rear end probably only permits that truck to do something like 45mph... So if your looking for a city commuter, you may also want to swap the rear.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum....that truck is a great start. The box/bed is about as straight as we've seen on a longbed pickup....they're usually beat beyond recognition. It doesn't look like it's been rolled over from the pics....maybe they just hauled a bunch of heavy objects that were too long for the bed, so they put them over the roof.

Dan

Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewbie63

I hate to see the word "investment" in a discussion of old trucks, especially big trucks. It is worth more to you sentimentally than it ever will be on the market. You are wise to take it incrementally; get it running and safe (brakes etc) then figure out where to go. They don't need to be perfect to be fun!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I see by your profile you're in MN - that would explain the graders with wing blades! : ) We have those in MT too.

Take a look at the serial number. Prefix 98RY or 97HY (V8 or I6 respectively) and the next six numbers will indicate the approximate year - somewhere around 280,000 is the break point between 1949/50.

'48 serial numbers start with 88RY or 87HY

Ross is right - they're never an investment, only a dearly loved money-pit. But that looks like a nice one. Enjoy!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
good plan..I got as far as running(very well) new brakes ..and drive..I think it's more fun to work and play with them ...but it's your truck..do it your way ...there are a lot of very intense people here with a lot of experiance ...that are willling to share ..cangrat's on your project..

Quick Reply: My great-grandfather's F3