6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

White smoke startup/black smoke driving/multiple codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke startup/black smoke driving/multiple codes

'05 all stock. Let me start by saying this is the first and only 6.0 I've worked on, just maintenance items and coolant swap to ELC and filter. Buddy's truck started running rough, had some local guy put new fuel filters on it, ran good about a week. Started running rough again. He put filters on it again and ran ok for couple days, running rough again. I brought the AE over. Buzz on cold engine was nothing like my 7.3, all 8 buzzed very faint and individual buzzez were just a single click except 7 was fainter than rest. FICM was 48v and dropped to 47.5v during cranking, back to 48 running (stumbled a little to start). Belched white smoke at each startup, smelled of raw fuel. I started killing injectors one at a time and each made a difference in how engine ran. EBP sensor read around 14 like it should engine off. Didn't have a chance to chase for chafed wires, it was hotter than .... and we were both in a hurry. Forgot my fuel pressure gauge too of course. He took off and called me in about 10 minutes saying it was now knocking and belching black smoke, I told him not to drive it in the first place. He had 2 injectors replaced quite awhile back at a local diesel shop, not sure wich ones. This was many miles ago though. I hooked up to this truck a few weeks ago to test coolant and oil temp deltas and it had no codes. This is what I got today. Powertrain: P0232,0263,0281,0460,0463,0671,2614,2617
GEM: P1832,1483. How do I check cylinder contribution on the 6.0? Power Balance Test? I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow evening, just thought I'd get some input. As with most folks, this truck is his work truck and every day costs him $$. So he's calling me every 5 flippin' seconds!!

Last edited by izzybird; 08-07-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
man thats a hole slew of codes that sucks

P0232 C O R Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High Voltage present at the Fuel Pump monitor circuit when it has
NOT been commanded "on" for more than 1 second.
Indicates short to power,sticking relay

P2614 C O R Camshaft Position Output Circuit CMPO signal intermittent Poor connection, electrical noise. In CMPO from PCM

P2617 C O R Crankshaft Position Output Circuit CKPO signal intermittent Poor connection, electrical noise. In CKPO from PCM

Id start checking for wire chaff and make shure everything plugged in with no bent pins

those are the codes I found everything points to wire chaff or bad connection so far

heres the rest of the code definitions

http://www.dieseltalk.com/support/DTC.pdf

Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Thanks for the response Benny, we'll be looking for chafed wires this evening. I wasn't there to witness the knocking and smoking, hopefully it's just an overfuel knock. Kinda leary of trying to start it again.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
izzybird
Elder User

I'm still wondering about the buzz test. Do 6.0 injectors make a loud crisp buzz or were the light clicks I hear normal? I had to pop the hood just to hear them. Wonder if the wires and/or connections under the FICM are suspect.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
P0232, 2614, and 2617 0460 and 0463 I'd ignore because the truck is running (well, kinda). P0263 and 0281 are contribution balance codes and mean cylinders or injectors bad. 0671 is a glow plug and won't cause running issues.

Knocking and black smoke is an overfuel issue and he'll burn a piston if he keeps driving it. White smoke at startup could indicate an EGR cooler or injector, but obviously it has injector issues. I'd also park it nose downhill and pull the EGR valve to see if there is coolant present in the intake for the EGR cooler.

Power balance can be run from the onboard system test menu screen. Same dropdown box that you buzz test the injectors from. Buzz test runs three times and you hear very little more than a click from each injector.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Thanks for clarifying the sound of 6.0 injectors buzzed, figured that must be the case since they all sounded that way. I told him not to drive it, he did. From his descriptions, sounds like it hydrolocked on him trying to start.. let it sit awhile and it fired off.. tried to drive it.. died and hydrolocked again trying to start.. towed to local cummins fanatics shop. Anyway, I have a good feeling this thing is gonna end up at the house in my shop. Time will tell the damage he's done. I will be glad to finally pop the cherry on my first real work on a 6.0 though.. I don't think he's quite as excited. Told him not to drive it.. some peoples kids I tell ya.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
if it overheats too much, and if u start to see engine temperature overheating on the gauge, then check ur coolant. if ur mysteriously losing coolant, then it'll definitely be in the engine. its a strange reflex action from the 6.0

mine did tat when i had egr cooler and oil cooler failure.

jus my 2 cents. good luck!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
you just might get your wish cause usualy hydro on these jacks the heads up

almost sounds like an injector stuck on

it might even need a piston

Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Originally Posted by BLADE35
usualy hydro on these jacks the heads up

it might even need a piston
Those were almost my exact words to him this morning, he just hung his head. Looks like Tousley has pretty good price on injectors, anyone else I should look at. Will be sticking with OEM. Guess better hit the stand pipe and dummy plugs while in there. I'm starting to wonder what his fuel pressure was doing, he mentioned this all started after he let the fuel tank get pretty low. He also stated the fuel filters hadn't been changed in quite awhile. It'll be getting a FP gauge after all this whether he wants one or not!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ive worked on more 6.0 then most of the people here. the 6.0 99% of the time will survie a hydrolock just fine. pull the glowplugs vent the liquid. not a big deal..
now 6.4's well they are rod bending machines.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Cheezit knows the numbers better than me on hydro faitalities

I just know it does happen
or I see it on here from time to time

Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Good info, appreciate it. Considering the diesel shop it's at replaced 2 injectors awhile back and I pulled 2 contribution codes on it, he's gonna let them at least take a look at it. We'll see.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cheezit
ive worked on more 6.0 then most of the people here. the 6.0 99% of the time will survie a hydrolock just fine. pull the glowplugs vent the liquid. not a big deal..
now 6.4's well they are rod bending machines.
i agree on everything u say.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Didn't realize I left this thread open with no conclusion. It was the 2 injectors the cummins shop had replaced, they replaced them at no charge and the truck has been running good since. Thanks all.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Good to know! I didn't know u can close a thread. Hah! Learn something new again.

Quick Reply: White smoke startup/black smoke driving/multiple codes