1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Long Block, short block, big , small ?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 01:18 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

'fenders,
I should explain a little more about my reaction - it probably comes from spending time over on the engine forums where guys argue endlessly about the 400 being a modified cleveland or not.

When you mentioned the "modified family" I guess I just had a flashback.

I call the 351M 'modified' but not the 400. Looks like we agree on this one, and anyway, I knew what you meant.

So that's about it - when I read it later I realized it had a bite to it, thus the apology. Actually I thot the content of your post was pretty humorous. Xtra-Hugh Smallblock for sure. The 400 sits on the floor of my shop beside the 429 and it isn't very much smaller at all.

In the future I'll try to finish my coffee before I start posting.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dewayne, Im pretty amazed by the scolding tone. Remember its always been a 2 way street and always in fun at least from my end.
Also remember Im not the one who started the girly comments either nor have I EVER trashed a 302.

And please tell me ONE time where Ive criticized any pic of your truck.....sorry you got the wrong guy. The only pics Ive seen were on HAMB and even the guys who Photoshop chopped it were appreciative of what you did.

If Ive offended you Im sorry.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:36 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Carl

We'll be OK. Neither of us graduated from charm school and it often shows up here. You can't post here for years and suppress your personality forever. There are going to be a few harsh words traded now and then.

I should have emailed you offline when I got bent. But I started it here so I guess I'll take one more shot at explaining what happened here. I'm not optimistic we are going to communicate on this one but I'll try.

It's not about "Girly 302" comments at all. This phrase is used by a dozen or more people here. It's hilarious when done with a joking attitude. I assume most of the time it is in fun. It's not a problem. I dish out grief by the scoop shovel every day. I am kidding and 99% of everybody here knows I'm psycho. If people stop harassing me here I'll get bored and disappear. You would swear George, RMF and I are mortal enemies. Far from it, they are good friends. Perhaps I am just better at communicating with other psychos like myself.

Here is where the problem starts Carl. You don't believe a 302 is a viable truck engine. Your sure of it and you don't seem to want to entertain evidence to the contrary. That's fine, just don't install one. I have one in my driveway. It runs real decent. It flyis in the face of what you say. Certainly it's not the world's greatest truck engine choice. I'm not planning on pulling a 5th wheel. It's works for me and and meets the intended use of most of the regulars here.

I am very proud of my truck but not insecure. I can take constructive criticism. You're not required to pay homage to my truck to earn my favor. What wears on me is six months of 302s can not work in an F100. The thousands of 40-50s 302 trucks on the road say different. You say you have not ever trashed a 302 here? We'll have to disagree on that point. I believe you have on many occasions and you sound very serious to me. That's exactly why I got upset. Probably time to leave the subject alone but that's up to you. I am not discussing it any more so there won't be any further conflict in any case.

The same could be said for MIIs. Again, you and I don't have to install one. People that proudly run an MII don't want to hear the rant over and over. (I realize this subject has subsided for now, it's just an example) It was a nightly occurance for too long. Nobody wants to have their pride and joy verbally assaulted night after night on the same subject.

There is no doubt I went way overboard hacking SBCs in an emotional manner 6 months ago. I was rude to Vern and others here. I have tried my best to back it WAY down since then. My SBC comments are far more infrequent now, and I make every attempt to ensure they are accompanied by a smiley face and or enclosed in a ludicrous statement so it is obvious ill will is not intended. I think voicing brand loyalty is appropriate on FTE but there is a limit to how much criticism anyone can take regarding there project. It took me a while to realize how obnoxious I sounded. It is my opinion that you need to do the same thing at this time Carl. You are very knowledgeable. I guess I would suggest you spend more time sharing what we can do to our trucks, rather than what we shouldn't in your opinion. That's up to you though. You certainly don't have to answer to me and I don't demand you walk on eggshells in my presence either.

Regards,

Last edited by fatfenders; 04-09-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:11 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

(applause)

Old 04-10-2003, 01:37 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess an apology doesnt work on you Dewayne.

Lets get a few things straight here.

Once and for all IVE NEVER said a 302 is incorrect in a F-100. Try reading the archives. As far as the number used in later factory truck production I was unaware and stated so. Possibly just not as popular in this area because of the terrain and actual use. This is still a mostly rural state.
My comments were strictly trying to help others make a choice depending on what they expected to use the truck for.
I would hate to see someone be dissapointed when another 49 inches may have made a difference. Or allowed someone to make a different choice in the rest of the driveline.

Secondly, Ive repeated the M11 saga for what I THOUGHT was a service to prospective users. Since there HAVE BEEN failures and since some kits ARE NOT truck rated IMO, dont get all over my *** about caring for people. We continually get new guys on FTE that may not be aware of the issue. I'll CONTINUE to bring it up if I feel it is to someones benefit. Others who know dont need to read it.

Im not on some friggin ego trip here so back off. Ive been working on cars going on 50 years soon. I'm still in learning mode and this is a great forum to be at.

Maybe my fault is that I DO CARE. Perhaps I'll just sit back and read from now on and maybe learn to not give a s..t.

Off topic: I drove a friends 56 with a 460/C6 earlier today. Now THAT is scary! I worked on it last fall when he had some vibration and this is the first time its been out since. Not a built engine either, came from a 70's something State Police cruiser.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Carl

This isn't going anywhere productive at all. There is an ignore feature somewhere on the forum and I will find it. There will be no risk of future communications problems. Not intended as a parting jab. Just a solution. Best wishes.

Everyone else,

Sorry you had to endure this. It shouldn't have happened in public. If my posting style has a similar affect on anyone else, now or anytime in the future, feel free to drop me a line and I'll back off promptly.

Regards,