1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Extra power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Pescs334
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra power?

Hi I have a 1997 first ranger 2.3L and I've finished the sound system the cb radio and now working g at oil can Henrys I've updated all the fluids and run synthetic oil upgraded filtered and K&N air filter but I was wondering what I can do to add some extra horse power. The hill to work is long and steep and I'm tired of being stuck at 50 miles per hour in 4th gear all L the way up. One of the main reason I usually take the f150 I have.

If you could give e me some tips that would be great thanks

Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Was probably a good idea to replace all of the fluids, IF they met or exceeded Fords specifications for this engine.

For best power, driveability & mpg, keep it to factory tune with the specified wires, plugs, filters & fluids, changed at the specified times that fit your driving habits & conditions.

The factory air intake doesn't air starve this engine.
Oil wetted foam or cotton gauze air filters over time are known to have contaminated the MAF sensor heated wire air flow sensor & corrupted its PID to the computer & thus mess up fuel trim, power & mpg. Some because of over oiling the gauze or foam air filter element, some because the filter to let more air through, lets more dirt through, that contaminates the MAF heated element & corrupts its PID output to the computer.
Cummings doesn't recommend oiled foam, or cotton gauze air filters be used on their engines & at one time on their web site stated that they would deny warranty for & had photos of, cylinder wall scuffing of engines that used oil wetted air filters!!!
So, most folks use the specified dry paper air filter & change it as specified, as it filters well, but doesn't air starve the engine.

About the only way to significantly increase the hp, is to stuff more air & fuel into the engine & then you'd need to tune the computer so it could use it. So maybe a nitro add on kit, or turbo, or super charger, along with the proper computer chip tuning, intake & exhaust tuning as needed, all done by someone who Knows what their doing, but then all that is Big Bucks!!!!

Its an ohc 4banger that's designed to be & is the MPG King of light trucks. It likes to Rev when it comes to hills, so don't lug this engine, drop down a gear as needed to get a good high speed, high rpm head start run at the hill & keep the Revs up in the power band by watching the tach & down shifting as you climb the hill. EDIT: Max torque is 146 lb/ft @ 3000 RPM, Max HP is 119 & 5000 RPM.

So, change your driving habits when it comes to hills. You'll just waste your money on bolt ons. If it was that easy to get more power out of the engine, the factory would have already done it!!!!

If you need thrust/torque, or more HP for hill climbing, or lugging & tugging heavy loads in hilly country, look to the 4.0L, its said that there is no replacement for displacement!!!!

Some thoughts for pondering.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Pescs334
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks you for the fast detail response. And I always wondered I'd the high rmp was on with the 2.3L I'll just let it be and keep the fluids to date. Once again thank you answer all and more if the questions I asked. Maybe I'll just stick to the f150 let the girl keep the little truck. :-)