Sponsored by:

Tire hunt and barn door repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:45 PM
g00d4me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire hunt and barn door repair

I'm on the hunt for new tires as the front pair that came with the truck are starting to wear on the outside and the front passenger has some flat spots on the outside edge that the tire guy is saying might be from tread layer separation starting to happen.

I'm getting away from a/t tires as I do mainly street/highway driving and the loudness of the tires is deafening after 10 minutes.

So I'm in the market for a good street/highway tire, but something that wont destroy my wallet since I'm on a budget.

I got quoted for Primewell and Firestone Transforce from my local Firestone.

I've never used Primewell and I know they are Firestone's in house chinese brand, so I'm curious if anyone has run them on their ex.

I use the transforce on our shop box truck and know they are a pretty good tire, but I'm hoping to find something a little cheaper.

I only need two at the moment, so my pricing is this:

primewell: $239 + tax
transforce: $396 +tax

What, if any opinions are there about primewell tires on the ex?

Any recommendation for a name brand street tire?

I also was told I might need a new camber kit for my truck.

Is that true or should they be able to do an alignment without needing to order that?

They want $229 to put that on.

They want $70 for a part that I can find online for $20.

I need to repair the barn door on the drivers side as the metal cable broke off and I think I need to replace the handle also since it looks like the piece that holds it into the handle is broke also.

The only thing I've been able to find online is a door repair kit for other f series doors, but nothing specific to the barn door.

are there kits out there or do i have to rig something up to get it to work again?

Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
We need to know some basics about your truck. Year and engine at a minimum.

Take a look at the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S

Old 09-26-2015, 10:48 PM
g00d4me
Senior User
2000 v10 xlt 2wd

Old 09-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
I do not see the parts you need for the door on RockAuto.com. Your best bet may be a parts yard.

As far as a camber kit, you will not really know until a shop tries to align the truck. It is certainly possible you need the kit.

Shops make money on parts, its part of the game.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only run Michelins. You get what you pay for...

The dually wears the highway thread while the others wear the all terrain thread. Both handle well in snow and other adverse conditions. Was shocked to be able to move the dually around in 17 inches of snow in 2wd a few years ago.
Don't notice a difference in noise but keep in mind all are diesel which adds a little noise.

Personal experience on tires stay away from,
1. Nitto Terra Grappler (lugs are too big and when the wear down are like slicks)
2. Bridgestone Ravo (Put the E rated ones on the Excursion and they wore down real fast)

Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by g00d4me

The only thing I've been able to find online is a door repair kit for other f series doors, but nothing specific to the barn door.

are there kits out there or do i have to rig something up to get it to work again?

No promises...

Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 AM
g00d4me
Senior User
I have bfgoodrich all terrain t/a ko tires on ex now

I'm definitely going to go with a street tire as I live in Florida and the highest hills are sand dunes

The rear tires are in great shape so i might be able to get some money for those to help offset the cost of new tires

I guess I'll have to get the part from the dealership if I can't find it online

Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin LTX (E rated) are $230 each from Discount Tire or $1062 out the door plus a $70 rebate for set of 4 with lifetime balance, rotate, repair and hazard replacement... Not an endorsement nor do I work for Discount!

My experience: I had brand new set or PrimeXXXX's that came on a used Lexus LS 430, I bought 3 years ago, from day one they were beyond loud, could not keep them balanced, they cupped and flat spotted.. Bottom line to me, they were dangerous, they lasted less than 6 months / 15,000 miles. During that time I had them balanced and rotated 3 times. Then I went out and read the reviews on PrimeXXXX and my thoughts were confirmed by many others....

Installed a Michelin tire on the Lexus 3 years and 90,000 miles ago and all of those issues went away with zero changes to the car. Just started my 3rd set. Yes I know a Lexus LS an EX are not the not even close to being in the same class, however, my experience with the PrimeXXXX brand shall we say was less than a happy ending......

The EX is now on Michelin LTX.. Smooth & quite, I have not had them through a winter yet, I'm all Hi-way... Not saying to go buy the Michelin, I'm just saying that based on my experience with the PrimeXXXX brand I could not recommend them in any circumstances. But that’s me.

Please got out and read how others have reviewed the PrimeXXXX brand and where they are made.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by g00d4me
I have bfgoodrich all terrain t/a ko tires on ex now

I'm definitely going to go with a street tire as I live in Florida and the highest hills are sand dunes

The rear tires are in great shape so i might be able to get some money for those to help offset the cost of new tires

I guess I'll have to get the part from the dealership if I can't find it online
I would be pretty surprised if the dealership had the part.