Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stupid dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
stupid dealerships

So, this morning, after testing a few seadoos, i put truck in N and applied the ebrake, well, my foot went to the floor and busted up my big toe..lol. Anyway, realized, the cable broke at the pedal, so called dealership up, and they said i had to replace the "ratcheting" set-up with cable, at the tune of 155 buks..doh. I re-looked at the scenerio, and realized its been replaced before, from the looks of the ends of the sheaths, at the frame holes, there were no gold set rings applied. Looked up oreillys and autozone, AND both them companies HAD the front cable only, for 10 buks...woohoo. Picking ur up at 2pm today, and hope fully, all is good.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
So, this morning, after testing a few seadoos, i put truck in N and applied the ebrake, well, my foot went to the floor and busted up my big toe..lol. Anyway, realized, the cable broke at the pedal, so called dealership up, and they said i had to replace the "ratcheting" set-up with cable, at the tune of 155 buks..doh. I re-looked at the scenerio, and realized its been replaced before, from the looks of the ends of the sheaths, at the frame holes, there were no gold set rings applied. Looked up oreillys and autozone, AND both them companies HAD the front cable only, for 10 buks...woohoo. Picking ur up at 2pm today, and hope fully, all is good.
Not stupid dealership.........smart you for knowing that they are sales men and are trained to up sell.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah- Good catch Tim - Saved yourself some mad mod money- Hope it works out

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Just curious. Just the fact that Ford Motor Company sells the front cable and parking brake control only as an entire assembly, makes it the dealership's fault, how?

I could tell stories, upon stories about stupid customers ..... but I won't.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Just curious. Just the fact that Ford Motor Company sells the front cable and parking brake control only as an entire assembly, makes it the dealership's fault, how?

I think we think the dealer is representing Ford, so that is the reason some use that term.

I sell Lone Star feed. If someone has a problem with the feed, they don't call Lone Star for a fix, they always come to me. Same with dealers.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I feel you, brother.

10 years being called a thief as a GM dealership tech.
Gotta love "bargain hunters".

FWIW, the aftermarket cables are junk. Been there, done that (or should I say REPLACED THAT) on past customers' trucks shortly after they replaced them with aftermarket stuff.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Lightbulb

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ake-cable.html

Interesting, guess i'll be calling the "dealership" today, considering, mines a manual...wonder/wish why they did not mention this when i called yesterday???

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
I feel you, brother.

10 years being called a thief as a GM dealership tech.
Gotta love "bargain hunters".

FWIW, the aftermarket cables are junk. Been there, done that (or should I say REPLACED THAT) on past customers' trucks shortly after they replaced them with aftermarket stuff.
Not all of them are, and I do believe that you both are the exception. The local one for me is not, I have not done the CPS nor the CC recall, they insist on reflashing my PCM for a fee of course and tell me that it is a necessary part of the recall. When I tell them that it is not I am told that they are Ford trained and I am not.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Not all of them are, and I do believe that you both are the exception. The local one for me is not, I have not done the CPS nor the CC recall, they insist on reflashing my PCM for a fee of course and tell me that it is a necessary part of the recall. When I tell them that it is not I am told that they are Ford trained and I am not.
If you have shown up on my doorstep with a driveability issue, I wouldv'e included reflashing the PCM into the quote for the repair (if one was available).

Back to the topic on hand, parking brake ratcheting assembly failures are relatively common on applications where they tend to be used more frequently. Manual transmission equipped vehicles, for example.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
If you have shown up on my doorstep with a driveability issue, I wouldv'e included reflashing the PCM into the quote for the repair (if one was available).

Back to the topic on hand, parking brake ratcheting assembly failures are relatively common on applications where they tend to be used more frequently. Manual transmission equipped vehicles, for example.
If I had shown up for a driveability issue then yes I can see that, but when I am going in for a recall and am being told that I have to have the reflash done and pay for it as part of the recall then no that is not right. Needless to say neither one has been done on my truck as of yet because of this.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
If I had shown up for a driveability issue then yes I can see that, but when I am going in for a recall and am being told that I have to have the reflash done and pay for it as part of the recall then no that is not right. Needless to say neither one has been done on my truck as of yet because of this.

I don't see how they can require you to do a pcm flash. Why did they say they would require that? I would go to a different dealership. I live in a large city and was able to do the latest recall at a quick service at a dealership. He ended up doing it in the parking lot because I told them I didn't want to wait.

I try to stay away from the dealerships. They are good for some people but not for me. They do offer a valuable service to those that can't or don't want to work on their vehicles.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Neither of the recalls against my truck, 07S57 AND 09S09, have been accomplished, either.

My truck is NOT getting near a dealership unless I happen to drive it there to the parts department. Yes, there's a place for factory replacements.

It will never see the service department, however, because "Ford Factory Trained" isn't quite good enough for my standards of training.

Flashing the PCM is NOT part of the recall! Sheesh! And the reason they give you, "we're factory trained" is kinda weak, doncha' think? After all, we can read the recall bulletin as well as they can!

Wonder if the Ford zone rep would like to know about their little "policy".

Better yet, I wonder if your state's Department of Consumer Affairs would.......

Given that kinda' BS, it just another good reason to keep it away from those "Factory Trained" guys who "know it all".

Pop

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tdpower
I don't see how they can require you to do a pcm flash. Why did they say they would require that? I would go to a different dealership. I live in a large city and was able to do the latest recall at a quick service at a dealership. He ended up doing it in the parking lot because I told them I didn't want to wait.

I try to stay away from the dealerships. They are good for some people but not for me. They do offer a valuable service to those that can't or don't want to work on their vehicles.
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Neither of the recalls against my truck, 07S57 AND 09S09, have been accomplished, either.

My truck is NOT getting near a dealership unless I happen to drive it there to the parts department. Yes, there's a place for factory replacements.

It will never see the service department, however, because "Ford Factory Trained" isn't quite good enough for my standards of training.

Flashing the PCM is NOT part of the recall! Sheesh! And the reason they give you, "we're factory trained" is kinda weak, doncha' think? After all, we can read the recall bulletin as well as they can!

Wonder if the Ford zone rep would like to know about their little "policy".

Better yet, I wonder if your state's Department of Consumer Affairs would.......

Given that kinda' BS, it just another good reason to keep it away from those "Factory Trained" guys who "know it all".

Pop
There are not many dealerships around here. They are saying that it is required because they are slow and are deriving income from it. So I just wont go there, I have a black CPS in my glove box and for $12 I will buy the harness for the CC and install it myself.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
There are not many dealerships around here. They are saying that it is required because they are slow and are deriving income from it. So I just wont go there, I have a black CPS in my glove box and for $12 I will buy the harness for the CC and install it myself.

Jim,

As much as you know I'm surprised you didn't throw it back in their face a bit.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tdpower
Jim,

As much as you know I'm surprised you didn't throw it back in their face a bit.
I only told part of the story..........trying to behave on here the role model thing

Quick Reply: stupid dealerships