1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just bought a factory aux idle controller... have questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought a factory aux idle controller... have questions..

99 F350, I just bought an auxiliary idle controller. Factory Ford, with the LCD screen, new in box with cable and mounting bracket.

First impression, holy crap this thing is HUGE, much larger than I expected.

Second of all, where under the dash exactly does it mount? It did not come with bolts so I'll have to get some.

Third, there is a plug that goes into the idle controller with 10 wires, but the plug splits and four of the wires run to a 4 pin plug which will plug into my truck under the dash.

The remaining six wires are just cut, and do not have a plug on the end. What do these other six wires do???

Fourth, what exactly is a "Power Take Off" ??????

Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 AM
hhowell1990
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
99 F350, I just bought an auxiliary idle controller. Factory Ford, with the LCD screen, new in box with cable and mounting bracket.

Second of all, where under the dash exactly does it mount? It did not come with bolts so I'll have to get some.

Third, there is a plug that goes into the idle controller with 10 wires, but the plug splits and four of the wires run to a 4 pin plug which will plug into my truck under the dash.

The remaining six wires are just cut, and do not have a plug on the end. What do these other six wires do???

I don't believe it's intended to be mounted anywhere specific, if you got the model that just keeps your voltage up you should just need it somewhere out of the way because it should automatically activate when in park or neutral with the parking brake set, and a "Power Take Off" is a panel on the side of your transmission that can be removed to have something like an air compressor or generator added to your truck that runs off power from the engine instead of being powered electrically or by a separate smaller engine, as far as your questions about the wiring on the thing I wish I could help but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plug that is left is the one that connects under the dash right under the steering wheel. The wires that are cut just tape them up. If it came with a mount it goes near the hook on the passenger side or if you have the ash tray. It uses the screws that hold the hook on the bottom.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by arcticatdan
The plug that is left is the one that connects under the dash right under the steering wheel. The wires that are cut just tape them up. If it came with a mount it goes near the hook on the passenger side or if you have the ash tray. It uses the screws that hold the hook on the bottom.

Yeah I read the manual and those extra wires are for PTO and remote control switches.

I mounted it under the ashtray. It works great, just the thing takes up a lot of prime real estate!

It's so large not sure where else I can mount it, unless I rig it up and stuff it under the dash somewhere....

I'll try it on the ashtray mount for a while and see how that works.

I should have bought the smaller one, that's for sure.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If yours came with the K bracket then it will mount under the dash just to the right of the accelerator pedal (over the transmission hump). Remove the two 8mm screws that secure your lower dash and the bracket will use those same holes. The kicker brace matches a hole that is already pre-drilled on the baffle under the dash (where your trailer brake controller harness plug is secured. The loop on the kicker brace is for securing the 4 wire harness so it doesn't fall down onto your feet while driving.

Like you already figured out, the 4 wire connector connects to the factory installed plug under your steering column. The other wires are for remote control and electrically activated PTO accessories.

Yeah, they are pretty large. I've only seen the one size...do they make a smaller unit?

Here is the manual in pdf in case you would like it for your records.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AICM manual.pdf (179.8 KB, 384 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by gchavez
If yours came with the K bracket then it will mount under the dash just to the right of the accelerator pedal (over the transmission hump). Remove the two 8mm screws that secure your lower dash and the bracket will use those same holes. The kicker brace matches a hole that is already pre-drilled on the baffle under the dash (where your trailer brake controller harness plug is secured. The loop on the kicker brace is for securing the 4 wire harness so it doesn't fall down onto your feet while driving.

Like you already figured out, the 4 wire connector connects to the factory installed plug under your steering column. The other wires are for remote control and electrically activated PTO accessories.

Yeah, they are pretty large. I've only seen the one size...do they make a smaller unit?

Here is the manual in pdf in case you would like it for your records.
Mine only came with a bracket to mount under the ashtray. I didn't know they made another one? Don't happen to have a picture or a part number on the bracket would you?

I would much have it closer to the area than you described. I don't want my passengers messing with it.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah I read the manual and those extra wires are for PTO and remote control switches.

I mounted it under the ashtray. It works great, just the thing takes up a lot of prime real estate!

It's so large not sure where else I can mount it, unless I rig it up and stuff it under the dash somewhere....

I'll try it on the ashtray mount for a while and see how that works.

I should have bought the smaller one, that's for sure.
They are all the same size, the only smaller option would be DIY. If you know how to use the search feature, I did a write up on installing an AIC that had a lot of good info.

Last edited by megawatt00; 08-02-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Mine only came with a bracket to mount under the ashtray. I didn't know they made another one? Don't happen to have a picture or a part number on the bracket would you?

I would much have it closer to the area than you described. I don't want my passengers messing with it.
I thought I had a photo but I can't find it. I'll take a pic when I get home and look for a part number on the bracket.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

No part number...:(

Sorry, no part number on the bracket.
Here are some photos. Sorry for the huge pics. I chose to upload them full size just in case you want to try and make your own bracket while using the photos as a guide.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may be of help, I know Chase did a ton of research on it when he got his.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ss-switch.html

Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Greg- FWIW that is actually an OBS bracket but it will work fine in the SD. The brace piece off the rear of it it optional (not really necessary).

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Greg- FWIW that is actually an OBS bracket but it will work fine in the SD. The brace piece off the rear of it it optional (not really necessary).
Thanks for the info. That rear brace is a PITA for sure. Fits perfectly in my wife's truck but has a conflict with the floor heater vent on my truck. Go figure...both trucks look identical so I can't figure out what the difference is exactly. I mocked it up on my truck recently and it's really hard to access since I have the F650 dash.

Funny thing is that I bought the AIC for my wife's truck since she has the PTO trans and I was thinking of utilizing it for an air compressor. Then I learned a little more about what is involved and the pieces and expense and that idea has been put on the back burner....way back....like camping stove in the attic sort of thing.

I've been keeping an eye on our work fleet just in case one of our trucks gets put out of service (blown engine or accident or whatever...) but none of them seem to be showing ANY signs of slowing down or needing to be replaced anytime soon so it could be quite a while before I get my hands on a PTO system from one of our 7.3 trucks.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine didn't have a mounting bracket.

I added heavy duty velcro (not the fuzzy side, dont know the technical term for the sticky side) to the back and it hooks into my carpet on the trans tunnel.

It never moves and is handy but out of the way.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by CGMKCM
Mine didn't have a mounting bracket.

I added heavy duty velcro (not the fuzzy side, dont know the technical term for the sticky side) to the back and it hooks into my carpet on the trans tunnel.

It never moves and is handy but out of the way.
Great idea!

The two sides are hook and loop. Fuzzy side is the loop, the stiff side is the hook.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,678 Likes on 1,133 Posts

did you get it from ford?
what do they cost these days?
the one in my '97 died and I want one in my '99

Quick Reply: Just bought a factory aux idle controller... have questions..