Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My "New" Dually

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the kind words. I really appreciate it, especially coming from this bunch of truck maniacs!

On the front, I just changed hubs. The DRW and SRW wheels are completely different and if you don't change the front hubs to accommodate the DRW style wheels then you'll have to carry two spares. And it will look strange.

I wanted to keep my first post short, but in the interest of full disclosure I should probably add that the most frustrating part of the whole process has been getting the bed painted. I'm still not satisfied with it, and I about halfway wish I had just bought an aluminum flat bed and been done with it. The guy who painted it did a pretty good job of matching the pigment, but the metal flakes are different and the bed looks a little lighter under certain conditions. Metallics are a b_itch. The worst part is that he was lazy and didn't pull the fenders so now the paint is peeling and flaking at the seams.

But I'm not too worried about it right now. After a decade of road debris in the FL sun, the entire truck could use a good paint job anyway. There's a retired Navy guy up the road from here who has a little place called the Shady Oaks Mustang Ranch . He's recommended some good paint guys in the area and I'll probably look into having the whole truck done after the first of the year. That $5k to BTS next week is really gonna hurt.

Speaking of which, I shoulda known that my man Franko would somehow turn this into a transmission thread.

Originally Posted by clintbonnie
Kent... you now have to revise your signature.. to DRW
Done. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Sheldon Plankton
Speaking of which, I shoulda known that my man Franko would somehow turn this into a transmission thread.
After next week, you and I wont have to worry about transmissions anymore.

I would have rather put that $5k down on a boat myself...
But priorities come first.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
You guys are going to make Brian's MONTH!!!! GOOD LUCK to you both!! and stay safe on the road!!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Supercab
You guys are going to make Brian's MONTH!!!! GOOD LUCK to you both!! and stay safe on the road!!
I think Brian is going to make "our" month...or year....or years...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franko72
....But priorities come first.
Unfortunately, that's true. Unless you're bringing home that Mark Cuban money, you'll have to make some choices.

I've already bought my case of beer. Sittin' on "GO"!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Unfortunately, that's true. Unless you're bringing home that Mark Cuban money, you'll have to make some choices.

I've already bought my case of beer. Sittin' on "GO"!
They dont sell my beer out here..... Could ya grab a brother a case of Yuengling "light" bottles.... I haven't had a good beer in over a month. I'll get you back thurs.

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
They dont sell my beer out here..... Could ya grab a brother a case of Yuengling "light" bottles.... I haven't had a good beer in over a month. I'll get you back thurs.
Be glad to.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent job Kent - Now you got me thinking dually.Does a dually have to be 8' bed ? How expensive was the transition? Did you do the work yourself ? Same gears or did you upgrade ? Congrats again on the awesome job!!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Be glad to.
Thats the spirit of the brotherhood...
Its not easy to find the light, but I know Publix has it. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Excellent job Kent - Now you got me thinking dually.Does a dually have to be 8' bed ? How expensive was the transition? Did you do the work yourself ? Same gears or did you upgrade ? Congrats again on the awesome job!!
There are some short bed duallys out there, but they're not nearly as common. It just depends on what you can find when you start looking. The luck of the draw.

I did all the work myself, and the last image in the gallery I linked in my first post is a cost sheet. Most duallies have 4.10 rear ends, but the donor truck just happened to be a 3.73 rear which is what was in the SRW rear end. I actually like the 3.73. It pulls anything I hitch to it and 2000 rpm at 70 mph is pretty nice.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
...Its not easy to find the light, but I know Publix has it....
Go to the light, Carol Ann!

I'll look around. The Winn Dixie in town actually has a really good beer and wine selection. I'm pretty sure they stock it, too.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Frank & Sheldon, I'm curious as to how you guys are going to do this trip? with Frank in Texas and Sheldon here in Florida? I'm guessing that Sheldon will drive to Texas and pick up Frank and you'll go from there?? will one truck be trailered?
Will Brian have 2 new transmissions waiting or will he have to pull your present units and rebuild while you wait?? if one truck is being trailered will it be trailered home? will that effect the break-in on the new trans?
Sorry for the hijack guys.....

Old 07-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Our original plan was to meet in Lead hill, and convoy back to Fl together, However, I was uncertain when this Texas job would end.
So we are just going to meet in AR on the eve of weds the 3rd.
( My original plan was to stop at BTS on my way back from RRE, but that fell thru due to my work schedule)
My truck goes in thursday morning for a rebuild, Kents goes in fri morning for his rebuild. We will be present for both rebuilds to do some comparisons, and get a double dose of knowledge from Brian...
Then its back to Texas on Saturday for me, and I believe Kent will be heading back Home to FL.
Not to mention a little beer drinking in celebration in between...

Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Supercab
....Will Brian have 2 new transmissions waiting or will he have to pull your present units and rebuild while you wait??....
He rebuilds your tranny right before your eyes. From what I understand, it only takes them about 10 or 15 mins. to pull one. Mine has never given me any trouble with a little over 235k mi. This is strictly a preventative measure on my part. As for Franko, welllllll, that's a different story.

Franko has pretty well described the itinerary. I'm gonna stay with some friends in Nashville on the way up, then stop in KY on the way back and spend a couple of nights with a buddy of mine who works on the flight simulators at Ft. Campbell. Maybe do a little flying if we have time.

Hey Franko, I picked up one 12 of Yuengling Light this a.m. Winn Dixie only had one on the shelf. On sale for $9.99. WooHoo! If they don't restock the cooler in the next couple of days, I'll head down to the Publix in Z-Hills for some more. You're in good hands!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Hey Franko, I picked up one 12 of Yuengling Light this a.m. Winn Dixie only had one on the shelf. On sale for $9.99. WooHoo! If they don't restock the cooler in the next couple of days, I'll head down to the Publix in Z-Hills for some more. You're in good hands!
You da man... sometimes its difficult to find. And I really do appreciate it Kent.
last time I came to Texas I brought 7 cases of Yuengling Light with me, I think I cleaned out five stores to get it all. I had a talk with the manager of Sweetbay in Bradenton. He keeps the shelf stocked for me.

Quick Reply: My "New" Dually