Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My last order with MACs!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
My last order with MACs!

I recently ordered some parts from Mac's and was very unsatisfied with the shipping charge. I knew there would be an additional charge because of an oversized part (headliner kit) but was not prepared for the actual cost.

Mac's is located in Lockport, New York which is only two states away from me. On an order of $189.57 I was charged a whopping $127.33 shipping fee for a total of $316.90. I'm considering it a ripoff, so this will probably be my last order with them.

I'm letting you all know about this just in case you are planning an order from Mac's. I have always been treated fairly by them in the past but this not acceptable...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
reed1951 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
WOW 127 bucks for shipping? Thats ridiculous, maybe if it was a hot tub or something big like that. I wouldn't think for what you bought and how far it was from you it would have costed that much.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
dongc1
Elder User
dongc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am not surprised at the shipping charge, Freight costs have gone out of sight.
I shipped one piece of 2" PVC pipe, that was 20 ft long, 100 miles door to door.
The freight was $100. A 4' X 8' sheet of plastic shipped 100 miles will cost $100-$125.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I just shipped two front fenders off a 35 Chevy from San Diego to Knoxville, TN for $75 via Greyhound...I thought that that was pretty steep til I read about your charges. I bought a headliner kit from Midfifty and they did charge a little extra, maybe $20, but I didn't think that the added cost was too unreasonable.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Old F1
Posting Guru
Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Vern, old buddy, I can understand your feelings and being peed off, but if Macís charged you what the shipping company charged them and you didnít get this information in advance then maybe you should have a little chat with the guy in the mirror?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I have seen other members here post in the past about the high shipping charges on headliner kits, just because of the physical size of the package, or that it's sent truck freight (read: really expensive). That's one reason we've seen the threads on how they made their own. Did you have a conversation about this with Macs?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Yep, one of the biggest reasons I decided to make my own. I bought most of the materials for the cost of shipping alone!

BTW, I think all of the vendors have this oversize charge.....not sure if they are all up front about it though...

Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
i'm not defending anyone here vern , but as a truck driver of many years i will tell you that the cost of fuel has gone out of sight and i'm afraid friend that it has had an effect on shipping costs to the extreme . even with my boss not paying the federal and state taxes on fuel as we are contracted to the government i use about 100 too 150 dollars worth a day in my work truck and that's with me puttering around and doing my da^ndest to get the best mileage possible ( 9-10.5 combined mpg in an ih 4300 ). it is / has effected us all severely and it's only going to get worse i'm afarid . don't any yahoo suggest using corn alchohol based fuels in our cars as we have had this discussion before and we all know it is crap and destroys metal and rubber parts and in the long run cost's more , and biodeisel is an alternative in warm weather but in the cold you spend a dain small fortune in anti gel's and other chemicals to keep it from turning back into the grease it came from , and the filters etc. and maintenance costs to run it in the cold , so it's not a real alternative either in the northern climates . so until we have a government action to help control the spiraling costs , and REAL alternatives , the cost of everything is going to continue to climb unmercifully and kill our economic recovery . in other words it's simple math , it costs me more to truck it too you so geuss where i have too pass on the costs too ................ it sucks big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Elder User
3414 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know the feeling you have on shipping charges. In the last year they have skyrocketed. I see this where I work, as shipping charges seem to be going up weekly. Especially UPS and FedEx, with truck shipments right behind them.

One tip that I have is if you are getting something shipped by truck, do whatever you can to get it shipped to a place with a truck dock. Where you work, a friend's place, a local business you know, sometimes even a farm or construction site. Makes no difference if the shipment is light enough to be hand carried, just the delivery address being a business that "normally" receives commercial shipments will result in a lower rate.
Lately it even seems that this also lowers the cost on some FedEx and UPS shipments.

And be ready for even higher shipping costs for truck shipments , as the many trucking companies have really been hammered on rates by corporate shippers, as shipments pick up, they will be trying to recover.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM
cruisetopdown
Elder User
cruisetopdown has a very good reputation on FTE.cruisetopdown has a very good reputation on FTE.cruisetopdown has a very good reputation on FTE.
Vern, you might try calling MAC's and talking with them about their shipping policy and explain that it was not clear as to the cost of the shipping. You might be able get them to give you some type of discount on a future order. I would bet that they would not want to loose a customer over something like this and would consider working with you. I agree that shipping is something that should always be taken into account and that MAC's only fault would have been that they did not make it clear to you regarding the cost, but I bet you could work this out with them.
I try to order the bigger items when I know there is a car show/swap meet, then ask the vendor to bring it to the show. I end up spending money on gas, but i was going to the show anyway (I love looking at rusty old parts).....
Good luck!
Wade

Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Old F1 View Post
Vern, old buddy, I can understand your feelings and being peed off, but if Macís charged you what the shipping company charged them and you didnít get this information in advance then maybe you should have a little chat with the guy in the mirror?
All I knew in advance was that there would be an extra charge for the oversized item. No dollar amount was mentioned. I expected about $20-$25 extra or something like that but $127 is almost enough to pay for gas there and back. I have questioned the charge but I don't expect to hear anything good...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
My wife bought the headliner for my F-2 almost 20 years ago and it cost a small fortune then, I think about $50. The only I'd buy a large item like this is to arrange to have a nearby vendor bring it to a show or swap meet. You can usually save a lot on shipping. I might be more fortunate than others, I have two vendors in my state who sell the same items Mac's and the others sell. Do you have a local vendor?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
If no exact oversize fee amount is mentioned in the catalog or on their website, then you should have received a phone call from Mac's advising you of the exact shipping cost. That's just bad customer service. I order all of my parts from Mac's and have never had an issue, but also never had to ship anything that large. I would contact Mac's and explain to them how they should have handled this order.

Last time I ordered from Mac's it was a timing chain for my 52. They called me a few days later telling me that the chain was on an indefinite backorder and asked me if I wanted to continue to wait or cancle my order. I thought that was a cool thing they did to let me know about my order.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
gregstith
Senior User
gregstith has a good reputation on FTE.gregstith has a good reputation on FTE.gregstith has a good reputation on FTE.
My dad bought a rear-view mirror for his '64 Fairlane SportCoupe from MAC. The mirror was $20 higher than one of their competitor's. Dad asked if they price matched to which he got a "no". Dad went ahead and purchased the mirror from MAC's because he was ordering some more items from them also that he couldn't find elsewhere. He figured the extra cost on the mirror would somewhat be offset by the shipping fee he would incur from another vendor on the mirror. They also said they couldn't give a definite quote on shipping for these items (all relatively small items) but could give a close estimate. Well the estimate wasn't very close.

When his parts arrived they sent the wrong mirror. He talked to MAC's and they told him to ship it back and they would send the correct one and reimburse him for shipping. He's still waiting to be reimbursed. This has been several months.

As far as the cost of fuel, did shipping costs go back down a lot when gas went down to $2? or did it stay the same and rates are going up even more.
I sold a set of iron cylinder heads on ebay a few years ago when gas was around $4/gallon and shipped them several states away for $75.
I've never done business with MAC and after dad's experience and this man's I don't plan on ever doing any.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
LSJUNIPER
Senior User
LSJUNIPER is starting off with a positive reputation.
I purchased two inner fender skirts for my 56 Ford truck at a swap meet from Dennis Carpenter last summer. I asked if they would be willing to wave the shipping if I purchased them today? And they did! So there is something to keep in mind. Sometimes they have show specials to make a sale if the part your looking for isn't in stock at the show....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My last order with MACs!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.