Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My last order with MACs!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 AM
1andonlywhitie
Senior User
1andonlywhitie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy cow!

I recently ordered from LMC and I was happy with their shipping rates but the fuel tank I ordered just turned up in the box with no padding, a few dents and scratches and they forgot my floor seal for it too.. seems you can't win these days!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
If no exact oversize fee amount is mentioned in the catalog or on their website, then you should have received a phone call from Mac's advising you of the exact shipping cost. That's just bad customer service. I order all of my parts from Mac's and have never had an issue, but also never had to ship anything that large. I would contact Mac's and explain to them how they should have handled this order.

Last time I ordered from Mac's it was a timing chain for my 52. They called me a few days later telling me that the chain was on an indefinite backorder and asked me if I wanted to continue to wait or cancle my order. I thought that was a cool thing they did to let me know about my order.
This is all they tell you in the catalog about the extra shipping charge:

"Due to the size of this item additional shipping charges will be incurred. These additional charges will not be reflected in the shipping amount given at the end of the order - only in the final invoice once all items have been boxed and weighed."

I won't be ordering anything else from anyone unless I klnow the exact charge!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM
dadgonebroke
Senior User
dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.
shipping

I recently ordered a sender/temp gauge pkg. from LMC for $90. They charged $18.95 shipping. The sender was bad so I returned the package to them USPS First class with tracking for $2.55. Their shipping rates are based on part cost.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dadgonebroke View Post
I recently ordered a sender/temp gauge pkg. from LMC for $90. They charged $18.95 shipping. The sender was bad so I returned the package to them USPS First class with tracking for $2.55. Their shipping rates are based on part cost.
I'd say you got ripped off!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Mervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to behold
"don't any yahoo suggest using corn alchohol based fuels in our cars as we have had this discussion before and we all know it is crap and destroys metal and rubber parts and in the long run cost's more , and biodeisel is an alternative in warm weather but in the cold you spend a dain small fortune in anti gel's and other chemicals to keep it from turning back into the grease"

Corn liquor is for drinkin not runnin motors ...

I was trying to quote 55 f350's post but something went wrong

Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Think about it from the vendor's point of view. Until the whole order is in a box and weighed, ready to ship, they can't tell you what it's going to cost to ship. Not many people are willing to wait and find out. The % of parts cost method is a bad way to do it, but how else can you do it?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
This is all they tell you in the catalog about the extra shipping charge:

"Due to the size of this item additional shipping charges will be incurred. These additional charges will not be reflected in the shipping amount given at the end of the order - only in the final invoice once all items have been boxed and weighed."

I won't be ordering anything else from anyone unless I klnow the exact charge!
Kevin is dead on about the fuel cost and freight shipping.

I'm a warehouse and logistics manager. Good customer service would mean you have "the exact charge" (parts and shipping) prior to shipment. In the future tell the shipper you must know that total charge before the parts are shipped out or you will refuse the shipment. Most companies should be willing to put a note in your file with those instructions. There is no way the parts should be shipped without you knowing the total cost. Sorry to say these days that we are having to demand good customer service more and more. Some companies still get it but alot don't.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
I won't OK an on line purchase unless I get the shipping cost first. I got burned one time when I placed an order from a big on line company who advertised their product at a very decent price. I went to their web site filled out everything and the final thing to do is click "OK" and the order would be processed. I pressed "OK" and found out the "decent" price wasn't all that decent after what I considered a huge shipping charge was added. From that point on I never will OK an order without seeing the shipping cost. I think that's the way all those TV commerciasl are willing to send a second item for free, all you have to pay is separate "Process and Handling" charge, which used to be referred to as "Postage and Handling". This is also one of the reason eBay takes a bite of the shipping on items sold there. A bunch of sellers would BIN now cheap to avoid eBay fees and then make it up on shipping.

In my business I have a percentage cost for miscellaneous material of 10% of labor cost. This covers items I can't economically keep track of like miscellaneous nuts and bolts, wire, labels anotherhe things I can't take the time to meter out or count piece by piece.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM
F1 48 Ford
Junior User
F1 48 Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I placed a order with Dennis Carpenter for a headliner kit and some other parts and the shiping charge was 15.00.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
My wife bought a headliner for me 20+ years, at that time the shipping was, if I remember correctly, more that $50. It was in a very large box and was shipped freight, maybe they've figured out a better way to ship them.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Speaking of shipping ripoffs...a few years ago I went to a large car show and gave my F-3 emblems to a vendor (don't remember the name right now) who said he would re-chrome them for $90.00. The price seemed reasonable at the time so I left them with him. A shipping price was never mentioned. I got them back about 6 weeks later but they hit me for $20 for shipping. The small box could have been shipped for about $3.00 or less.

They did a great job on the chroming process but the shipping was a turnoff. Personally, I think they quoted me a price too low and made it up on shipping.

Needless to say I'll never have anything done by them again...

Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
Speaking as a business man I would like to add that it costs money to have an employee package, print up a label and prepare a package for shipping. If some one is paying an person $15-20/hr that could cost $5-10 for labor, depending on what it takes to safely package an item. When I ship something to a customer I only charge them the actual shipping cost as long as all it involves is me putting the item in a box and waiting for the UPS guy to come. If I have to arrange a pick up or drop off at my local UPS store, yes my local UPS store charges a $4 drop off fee, there is an additional $4-6 charge. It all adds up.

If I have a large project that I have to deliver myself I will charge my normal hourly shop time to deliver. I'm in business to make money.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
49m47
Senior User
49m47 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I ordered a headliner kit , seat upholstery and some other misc parts . Both were over sized items and the shipping was $67. I have had other problems with Mac's but they have always made the right. It may take a few times but they did correct the issues.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
dadgonebroke
Senior User
dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.dadgonebroke has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
Speaking as a business man I would like to add that it costs money to have an employee package, print up a label and prepare a package for shipping. If some one is paying an person $15-20/hr that could cost $5-10 for labor, depending on what it takes to safely package an item. When I ship something to a customer I only charge them the actual shipping cost as long as all it involves is me putting the item in a box and waiting for the UPS guy to come. If I have to arrange a pick up or drop off at my local UPS store, yes my local UPS store charges a $4 drop off fee, there is an additional $4-6 charge. It all adds up.

If I have a large project that I have to deliver myself I will charge my normal hourly shop time to deliver. I'm in business to make money.
FWIW- I'm retired UPS and made quick work of making the UPS guy a friend when I moved to Kansas. It always helps to give him an Xmas tip. Anyway- he has given me his cell number and I text him that I have an outgoing package if he's coming near me. If not, I meet him at one of his pickup accounts that's close to me (1 block away).

Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM
mytbtruck
Elder User
mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think some of these parts places see parts like a Barret Jackson auction. I ordered a windshield for my 48 from LMC and the oversize charge was $20 and shipping was $23.75.Total cost was 153.70. My insurance paid that plus $75 for installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My last order with MACs!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.