Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 7.3 no power/one bank dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikegenuine
Yep! great info I was just trying to figure where to test..Now i'm trying to debate if I should just purchase a new injector or harness or IDM...What do you think it maybe. THANKS
I would swap solenoids again to see it the #'s follow.....if they do, get another selenoid.....if they do not (stay the same) then it sounds like a harness or IDM......correct me if I'm wrong (going on bad memory here) but I think this procedure is to test electrical components only, it will not tell you the injector is bad just solenoid, harness or IDM. Depending on the year of your truck and the mileage, I would replace the wires while you have it apart. Mine were replaced under extended warranty @ the dealer....right around 100k miles, that is if the #'s stay the same when you swap solenoids again. Hopefully VC's are still off @ this point!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
That reading at #3 is far out of range! And I definatly would say that's you're problem! If it was me I would take that free solenoid offer, it will fix you up, as that 1 inj out of range will shut down all common inj's to prevent damage to the IDM that's why you lost the entire bank!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
That reading at #3 is far out of range! And I definatly would say that's you're problem! If it was me I would take that free solenoid offer, it will fix you up, as that 1 inj out of range will shut down all common inj's to prevent damage to the IDM that's why you lost the entire bank!
Jim...& fat Monty
Thats what I was thinking,but the new solenoid is on #3 so could it be a a bad new solenoid that I recieved. Tomorrow I'll swap it it over to #5 and see what happens. THANKS AGAIN

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Sorry forgot to mention though,that when I unplug #5 idles almost like normal,so would that #3 affect #5

Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
That or a connection in the wiring to it! Check the inj. Connector, and the uvhc separately.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
That or a connection in the wiring to it! Check the inj. Connector, and the uvhc separately.
Okay so I check connection to #3 and started lightly wiggling it around as I had the voltimeter hooked and saw the resistance started jumping high then low,while I was messin with it,so it may be the Valve cover harness you think. THANKS Again

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Yep Mike, it sounds like it's the harness can you see any evidence of heating on that connection? I would replace it anyway though, you can get those from ford, or navistar(international harvester) navistar is usually a little less, beware of aftermarket they come from China & I have had some problems with them! Others haven't, don't forget to do .50 cent mod it's important especially if you go off road!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Yep Mike, it sounds like it's the harness can you see any evidence of heating on that connection? I would replace it anyway though, you can get those from ford, or navistar(international harvester) navistar is usually a little less, beware of aftermarket they come from China & I have had some problems with them! Others haven't, don't forget to do .50 cent mod it's important especially if you go off road!
Jim...& fat Monty
I can't seem to find any damage to the harness,so what I did was I removed valve cover harness and checked resistance from there,and same readings when I wiggle #3 wire. Hopefully once harness comes in the mail,i'll install it and see what happens. THANKS again

Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Hi! Everyone so today I installed new valve cover harness,now resistance is all normal,but same problem P0273 #5 is still there on a buzz test and on CCT P0263,P0269 injector circuit/Balance fault. Pls help! Maybe a new injector or IDM. Thanks and sorry for taking up your time
NOTE:I did notice #5 on buzz test sound alittle different

Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Mike let's start back a little bit, did you install a 'black' CPS as the grey is common to show incorrect cct faults due to slow angle pickup on #'s 5 & 8! How does it run?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Mike let's start back a little bit, did you install a 'black' CPS as the grey is common to show incorrect cct faults due to slow angle pickup on #'s 5 & 8! How does it run?
I replaced black CPS with grey maybe I'll put the black one back on? What I tried also, when I unplug #1 or #3 truck has power same goes for #5. THANKS for reply

Last edited by Mikegenuine; 08-10-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Forgot to add that when I disconect injector #3 oil flows on #5 injector,but when I plug back all injectors no flow on #5,I hope that makes sense lol......Sorry for all these question.

My guess maybe IDM,but i'm not an expert what do you guys think, im getting good normal readings on IDM harness,also would a bad EBP cause this since I do have a code for it also...THANKS

Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The GB tech bulletin does say a short to ground will damage the IDM so I suppose it's possible you need a new unit. You have tested the harness at the IDM connector and everything was in range. However you later wiggled the under valve cover harness and the readings fluctuated so you replaced the harness....did you also replace the valve cover gasket? If not, I assume you swapped the valve cover gaskets between banks just to confirm the problem isn't in the gasket. With the gasket and harnesses swapped, did the buzz test and codes remain with the odd bank? Also assuming that you carefully checked the terminals on the gasket and harness to make sure it wasn't burned. Especially the center pin. But the ground for #5 could possibly be burned if there was a short to ground like the original code said. It's practically impossible to eyeball burned terminals with the parts on the engine....you have to remove them and inspect under good light to see what they look like. I posted a pic a bit earlier...not sure if you saw those photos...

Your issue sounds electrical. If the injectors discharge oil then they probably are working correctly. Another possibility is water in the IDM. There has been a rash of wet IDMs lately... Not sure how that happens exactly but even a little bit of water could cause lots of problems. At this point, it might be worth the time to pull the IDM and see if any water comes out.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gchavez
The GB tech bulletin does say a short to ground will damage the IDM so I suppose it's possible you need a new unit. You have tested the harness at the IDM connector and everything was in range. However you later wiggled the under valve cover harness and the readings fluctuated so you replaced the harness....did you also replace the valve cover gasket? If not, I assume you swapped the valve cover gaskets between banks just to confirm the problem isn't in the gasket. With the gasket and harnesses swapped, did the buzz test and codes remain with the odd bank? Also assuming that you carefully checked the terminals on the gasket and harness to make sure it wasn't burned. Especially the center pin. But the ground for #5 could possibly be burned if there was a short to ground like the original code said. It's practically impossible to eyeball burned terminals with the parts on the engine....you have to remove them and inspect under good light to see what they look like. I posted a pic a bit earlier...not sure if you saw those photos...

Your issue sounds electrical. If the injectors discharge oil then they probably are working correctly. Another possibility is water in the IDM. There has been a rash of wet IDMs lately... Not sure how that happens exactly but even a little bit of water could cause lots of problems. At this point, it might be worth the time to pull the IDM and see if any water comes out.
Yep! I replaced valve cover gasket also,checked resisitance and all within range,but still have the same problem. Truck would always run better once I unplug injector one at a time,and I could rev RPMS alot higher,once all plugged in it runs rough no power at all and truck shakes are worse. I did remove IDM and started tilting it but no water came out.. I'm getting anxious to just open it up and inspect the board.

Would any IDM work I believe mines a 110....

THANKS

Last edited by Mikegenuine; 08-10-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Mikegenuine
Freshman User
Also forgot to add thats wierd,when I plug #5 injector oil stops on #1,3,7. I guess i'll order an IDM but what gets me isn't it when I can do a buzz test,it means IDM is good? BTW Pins don't look burnt....THANKS

Quick Reply: 99 7.3 no power/one bank dead