1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Moved Gas Tank to Bed how to Protect it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
66-Ol'Henry
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is what i had done with my spare tank

this is right behind the cab, had just cut a section out of the spot were you would put straps on to hold stuff inside (cant think of the name lol) big enough for the filler tube.

this is where the spare tank was before i had taken it out.

and to covor it my grandpa cut some wood and covord the tank so it almost looked like a box. but because it sat for so long getting rained on by the neighbors sprinklers (still pissed about... inconsiderate....) the wood split and trapped water inside causing all that rust...

Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
marcgyver77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a 78 Bronco tilt column...
Those lariat seats fit and look pretty good in the truck. Had to make my own brackets to attach to. Truck is still under reconstruction, so I don't know about "on a long run", but feel real good sitting in them in the garage on jackstands...

Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel cell - What yr donor truck will swap into my 65'? AND, is it a pretty good fit or are there major mods I need to do. Not sure if I like the idea of cutting a new hole for the fuel filler neck. Some one mentioned the neck just in front of the right tire. Is the cell strapped in with the existing ones from the donor truck? Also, is there a cell that fits in the rail area forward of the rear tires? Don't want to remove my spare tire.

On another note, using radiator hose as a fuel filler neck might not be a good idea. Fuel could destroy that kind of rubber real fast.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 66-Ol'Henry
here is what i had done with my spare tank

this is right behind the cab, had just cut a section out of the spot were you would put straps on to hold stuff inside (cant think of the name lol) big enough for the filler tube.

Not exactly sure why anyone would want to cut a gaping hole in the side of their bed for a spare fuel tank! I think I would just stop at the gas station a little more often instead...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
Not exactly sure why anyone would want to cut a gaping hole in the side of their bed for a spare fuel tank! I think I would just stop at the gas station a little more often instead...
When I saw this I just shook my head. I was lost for words. But... after searching wrecking yards for the past 5 years, I've seen just about everything. I've seen perfectly good 66 grilles destroyed so the owner could put a ford emblem in the center. I've seen frame rails with extensions butt welded together. I've seen home light switches used for backup lights, the list goes on. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
I was dumbfounded too...I mean that's just plain sacrilege. Personally, I'd be embarrassed
to post photos of such butchery to a slick.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Okay I can understand using a hole saw, and making a clean cut, to mount a new filler neck, then putting an escutcheon, around it to hide the hole...in other words a professional looking job, but this looks like some one took a sledge, and beat the living SH+T out of the bed...... Wow really.. that is class A1 body work! AKA Redneck repair! I Agree CropDusterMan I would be embarrassed by that... but I get embarrassed when my truck needs to be washed. Tell me was the chain used as a saw?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
As luck would have it, the wrecking yard did not let me down. Proving my point as to "What the hell were you thinking" another owner of a slick put saddle tanks on both sides of a 66 f250 each tank was probably 10 gals. So when you want to damage a truck bed, why not destroy the side moulding as well.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 itxtNodeId="27" itxtHarvested="0"><TBODY itxtNodeId="28" itxtHarvested="0"><TR itxtNodeId="31" itxtHarvested="0"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtNodeId="42" itxtHarvested="0"></TD></TR><TR itxtNodeId="30" itxtHarvested="0"><TD bg*************** colSpan=2 align=middle itxtNodeId="44" itxtHarvested="0">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The other side looks the same. Why post two pictures of pain and sadness. This was during my trip to a wrecking yard today 8-5-11

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I agree that this is one of the most sad and pathetic threads I have read here in quite a while.

Don't think I'll come back to this one.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OldHarley
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I agree that this is one of the most sad and pathetic threads I have read here in quite a while.

Don't think I'll come back to this one.
Oh, but you must. What if we change the title to "What the hell were you thinking"
Or start a whole new thread containing photo's of (plain sacrilege and butchery to a slick) Famous words from a master wordologist author unknown. We'll credit CropDusterMan for his verbage on this subject.
Will that get you to stay Ol'Schwinnguy? err OldHarley

Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there 66-Ol-Henry, sorry we've been picking on your truck a bit here. I looked on your profile and see that you're only 18 and you got the truck from your grand parents. I'm guessing this damage had already been done to it when you got it so don't take it all too personally. Do you have plans to repair this damage or do you plan to put another tank in the bed and utilize these current body mods? If it's the latter, I'm guessing you're setting yourself up for some more ridicule...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Aw, shucks, Ok, I'll play

Originally Posted by gangstakr
When I saw this I just shook my head. I was lost for words. But... after searching wrecking yards for the past 5 years, I've seen just about everything. I've seen perfectly good 66 grilles destroyed so the owner could put a ford emblem in the center. I've seen frame rails with extensions butt welded together. I've seen home light switches used for backup lights, I seen a peanut stand, I heard a rubber band, I seen a needle that winked its eye. But I be done seen 'bout ev'rything, when I see a elephant fly.
Well, I think that you have just about covered it

Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Tobys351.9
Senior User
Holier than Thou

Wow that's some cold blooded **** boy.
One mans trash is another mans treasure huh.
All that over a $400 truck WoW!

Call J G Wentworth!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Wink

Originally Posted by OldHarley
Aw, shucks, Ok, I'll play

Well, I think that you have just about covered it
I knew you'd be back OlSchwinnDude
I too will wait until the elephant flies then I can say I've seen everything.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Hey 66OlHenry,
Ya, I gotta agree with 37FordGuy, we've been beating up on your truck/fuel filler
"mod"...don't take it personal, after all, it's a site where people come to help each
other out.

Quick Reply: Moved Gas Tank to Bed how to Protect it?