1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castor increase on leaf-sprung Superdutys

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Castor increase on leaf-sprung Superdutys

Being in the position of having to replace my ball-joints, or so I suspect, in the next month or two, here's a big question:

I've read here where some people increase the castor on the leaf-sprung trucks to get more "centering" of the steering wheel, and helping the inherent wander of not having enough castor.

Generally speaking, I've heard 2 degrees to be the correct amount.

Now, knowing my front-end is currently perfectly aligned, and assuming nothing else changes that, including changing the ball joints (theoretically), I should be able to take the existing alignment cams and figure out what I need.

But that's not what this thread is for, it's to see if anyone has done this, and if so, how it helped...

Thoughts/comments?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
honestlyihave neverreadthis on the leaf springfront end SD trucks, its always on the 05and newer coil spring front end trucks. But i could be wrong i just never seen it or read about it krewat

Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
honestlyihave neverreadthis on the leaf springfront end SD trucks, its always on the 05and newer coil spring front end trucks. But i could be wrong i just never seen it or read about it krewat
I know it's usually done to help the "death wobble" on the coil spring trucks...

But one of the problems with the leaf-sprung trucks was last of "centering" especially on the highway, and one way to help that, of course, was castor.

I gotta go do a long detailed search of FTE

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I replaced the ball joints all my wobbles went away.
I never thought of the caster though. I don't like shims but a few degrees of shims just to see if it gets better can't hurt.
I can't imagine the work it would be to cut and turn the c's.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM
dzdiggin'dude
Tuned
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't want to get off the subject but what do guys think of installing longer shackles? That would increase caster and a little lift too. My shackles are tipped back so far they slightly bump frame. They have been like that since 4" springs where installed.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Ricohman
When I replaced the ball joints all my wobbles went away.
I never thought of the caster though. I don't like shims but a few degrees of shims just to see if it gets better can't hurt.
I can't imagine the work it would be to cut and turn the c's.
There is a cam inside the hole that the top balljoint goes through.

Looks like this:

I believe that Ford has the same thing available, of various offsets. If I take it apart and look at the cam, it is marked to designate offsets, so I can just get the one I need that adds 2 more degrees to the castor.

I think

Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
There is a cam inside the hole that the top balljoint goes through.

Looks like this:

I believe that Ford has the same thing available, of various offsets. If I take it apart and look at the cam, it is marked to designate offsets, so I can just get the one I need that adds 2 more degrees to the castor.

I think
That's ideal. You can dial in whatever you need. I don't think you would even feel any increased steering effort under 5 or 6 degrees anyway.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alldata shows shims to adjust caster and names the part in the posted picture as, a camber adjuster sleeve. Interesting topic It would be nice to hear from a suspension guy on this.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Being in the position of having to replace my ball-joints, or so I suspect, in the next month or two, here's a big question:

I've read here where some people increase the castor on the leaf-sprung trucks to get more "centering" of the steering wheel, and helping the inherent wander of not having enough castor.

Generally speaking, I've heard 2 degrees to be the correct amount.

Now, knowing my front-end is currently perfectly aligned, and assuming nothing else changes that, including changing the ball joints (theoretically), I should be able to take the existing alignment cams and figure out what I need.

But that's not what this thread is for, it's to see if anyone has done this, and if so, how it helped...

Thoughts/comments?
I have a a feeling you won't need any upper BJ castor sleeves after you fix the BJ's. I don't know if those sleeves are stock but I believe they are only needed in a problem situation like a bent member etc. Worn BJ's will greatly affect your steering geometry. Usually an alignment isn't even needed after replacing BJ's.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Subscribed.

My truck was never great at centering from the day it rolled off the dealers lot. (Neither of my dads SDs centered great either) Just checked my ball joints they are tight yet, which surprised me. I get some wander mainly when loaded down good, at or close to max GVW and towing a boat. I suspect the tires I have are currently are the main cause though.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
My truck has never centered great, even brand-new. Still gotta review what the stock settings are for castor.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alldata again for my 99 4 deg. +/- 1 deg.