1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this how the addiction begins?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
hopefully you got an understanding girlfriend / wife ................. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you're referring to me, no I don't. My wife thinks all this stuff is junk. I know as soon as I'm gone she'll sell eveything for scrap or less just to get rid of it all.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Next time I buy something. I will show my wife these pictures and say I'm at least not as bad as this guy.

Discussing this addiction here is like going to a bar to talk about your drinking problem.

A friend at work was commenting on clutch problems of his Ranger. His wife suggested trading it in and he was trying to be more frugal. Well we suggested the obvious alternative. Get a driver classic truck, duh. He wants one anyway so he didn't appreciate our "assistance"

The addiction spreads easily....

Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
jat4
Freshman User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy cow, you guys are a bad influence!

I dropped the guy an email, and as soon as it cools down a bit around here I'll try to go take a look. Shooting for $500-600 and will try to make some of the $$ back parting it out.

Love Bob's pic of the storage rack with all the fenders, hoods, and doors. kind of like museum storage . . .

Speaking of this new addiction--I'm looking at ads for car trailers, towing the f1 last week on a UHaul rental was okay, but I'd like something a bit more easy for me to use alone. I figure it's gotta be an open trailer for now, closed would be nice but there's only so much money in the piggy bank . . . . Anyone have any experience with the Sloan Kwik Load (tilt) trailers? there's a used one near my mom's that looks to be in good shape.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
hopefully you got an understanding girlfriend / wife ................. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAhahahaha My wife stopped trying to understand about 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by jat4
I'm looking at ads for car trailers, towing the f1 last week on a UHaul rental was okay, but I'd like something a bit more easy for me to use alone. I figure it's gotta be an open trailer for now
Anyone have any experience with the Sloan Kwik Load (tilt) trailers? there's a used one near my mom's that looks to be in good shape.
Not familiar with tilt trailers other than the one I rented once to pick a 51 F5 COE with a manure spreader. I didn't really like it but they didnt have any regular flatbeds available. positioning the front tires right over the point where the tilt part raises was a pain just to make sure the weight from the rear didn't cause the tilt to raise (while in transit).

I would have liked to pull the truck farther forward but once I did that the whole thing just looked sketchy. I used a 14' deck dual axle trailer for a while and hauled f-1 through F-3's just fine with it.

but I recently upgraded to this 21 footer so I can haul my C-600 home as shown or my F6 etc.

the addiction can grow so maybe start off with a trailer that can accomodate the growth of the addiction? if the piggy bank can afford it that is ?
my 14' trailer was $750 sold it for $1000 2 years later ( I added ramps and did some upgrades) and got the red one for $2200 this spring.

good luck

Josh

oh I would take pictures of my parts stash but it's not organized like Bob's and i'm a little bit ambarrased by my mess, it doesn't seem to stop me from picking up parts trucks though as I am picking up another one hopefully tommorrow.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Be careful! With a trailer you'll have an excuse to go on trips and pick up more trucks and parts.

My trailer has hauled close to a dozen parts trucks and many loads of spare parts. It has also hauled my trucks and the Airflow. It's an 18' flatbed, extra wide (82" between fenders), 7,000 lbs dropped axles, and has electric brakes. I've added the aluminum box that houses an 8,000 lbs electric winch, Optima marine battery, wood blocks and tie downs and straps. I bought the trailer brand new in 2004 for about $2k. The box and winch cost another $600. A trailer is the best investment that I've made when it comes to this old truck hobby. My trailer has paid for itself numerous times.

If you're going to buy a trailer, buy one that will last you for a few years and fits into your budget.

Since we're showing off...

With a trailer, you'll start dragging more than trucks home.

On second thought, I don't think that you should get a trailer. Learn from others' mistakes.

PLEASE HELP ME QUIT THIS ADDICTION!!!!!!!! I need to go to rehab!!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've checked and there's no known cure or medication for this addiction. There's always potentially another truck behind that next shed!

Thanks guys. I now have a case of trailer envy!

Rob

Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, looked back over the pics here and I think you addicts are much more addicted than this addict... although I've found my next parts truck lurking near an old grain elevator near here! I can't stop!

Maybe we need to have a support group meeting. Will there be some therapists at the Dash to the Dells?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I don't see an need for a therapist, I don't see any problem.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
If you're referring to me, no I don't. My wife thinks all this stuff is junk. I know as soon as I'm gone she'll sell eveything for scrap or less just to get rid of it all.
You can put all of us in your will....LOL

I think a cocaine addiction might be cheaper, but with trucks, you wake up in the morning feeling good!!! Wait a minute...there have been times when I've rolled out from under a project vehice to see the sun rise!!!