Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

What to look for when buying used Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
brcrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for when buying used Lightning

I am looking to buy a 2nd generation Lightning. Since I have never dealt with these trucks I thought I would ask yall for your input on the truck. Is there anything particular (besides the obvious when buying a "regular" used truck) thing to look for before making this purchase.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:53 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 to I think 01 had a leaky intercooler,
Find out if the recall was performed if looking for one of that year.
They all suck oil into the intercooler if ran without an oil separator.
If theres no oil separator, ask when the last time the intercooler was cleaned. And expect to do that if it hasn't been done lately or if it doesn't have an oil separator.
Also see if its been running at a higher boost level then stock.(aftermarket pulleys)
The higher the boost level,the faster the motor will where out!
Look for a nitrous port(there would be a little plug in the intake system if he ran nitrous on it)
Good luck,
naturally,the lower the miles the better.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Lightning Rod
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the rear driveshaft link to see if the u-joints and pinion yolk look like they've been beaten with a hammer. Lightnings that have been run with slicks and no traction control devices will show damage in this area.

'99s required the intercooler upgrade, so make sure the recall was honored. Also make sure the cruise control switch was replaced under recall... I think this was for all Lightnings.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
It wasn't a recall. The intercoolers were replaced under a customer satisfaction program.

Those things leaked like a sieve, so it's a pretty safe bet it's already been replaced, either by Ford or the owner.

Stewart

Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by brcrk
I am looking to buy a 2nd generation Lightning. Since I have never dealt with these trucks I thought I would ask yall for your input on the truck. Is there anything particular (besides the obvious when buying a "regular" used truck) thing to look for before making this purchase.
'99-'02 model year had the heads with 4 threads per spark plug holes. This causes a situation where the spark plugs are easily launched from the heads.

This problem is not limited to the Lightnings, as all the modular engines Ford made have this problem.

Starting with the '03 model year, Ford started using heads with more threads in the spark plug holes.

The '99 and '00 model year L's produced 360hp and 440 ft. lbs of torque and had 3.55 gears in the diff.

Starting in '01, due to slight changes by Ford (80mm MAF to a 90mm MAF and some other tweeking), the L's produced 380hp and 450 ft. lbs of torque and were now sporting 3.73 gears in the diff.

Ford also stopped using the 3.5" steel driveshaft and started putting a 4.5" aluminum driveshaft in the L's in '01.

All of the Gen 2 L's have the 4R100 tranny. A very stout unit used by Ford for the 7.3L PSD's.

Look for obvious stuff. Has it been modified and how extensively? If it has been modified, were there any custom tunes put on the truck? If so, how? Chip or flash and who wrote the tune? Someone reputable?

I'd also check how many owners the L has had. Are you buying from a younger adult or an older adult?

One thing I do is look at the engine bay. You can USUALLY ascertain if the present owner has kept the bay clean, or if its just been recently cleaned because it's for sale.

I look for this because, even though its very subjective, usually if the owner is meticulous enough to keep the engine bay clean all the time, then he has an eye for detail and will usually treat/work on/modifiy and generally take better care of the truck than someone who doesn't clean the engine bay.

Again, that's not a hard and fast rule, but I've found it to be true more times than not.

Stewart