Sponsored by: Moser

Whoo-Yhoo, i got my tuner for my 3.7 ordered today

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoo-Yhoo, i got my tuner for my 3.7 ordered today

I'm a firm believer in tuners and i'll see if it does the same wonders to a 2011 3.7 motor like it did to my old 2006 5.4. i mean, it is doing wonders for the mustang and i'm assuming it will too with the f150.

i ordered her in a 87 economy tune for the highway driving, 87 performance/towing, and 91performance/towing.

feedback to come!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 AM
FORD FRED
Junior User
I will be waiting for your results. And please tell us your trucks specs.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Does is hurt your warranty?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by XolieX
I'm a firm believer in tuners and i'll see if it does the same wonders to a 2011 3.7 motor like it did to my old 2006 5.4. i mean, it is doing wonders for the mustang and i'm assuming it will too with the f150.

i ordered her in a 87 economy tune for the highway driving, 87 performance/towing, and 91performance/towing.

feedback to come!

What tuner did you go with...maker of the handheld/dashmount, and who did your custom tunes?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by rangerfan
Does is hurt your warranty?
You can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
That's too general of a statement. You can probably kiss your engine and tranny warranty goodbye, but if you have a faulty window switch...it'll probably be covered.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
XolieX
Elder User
I've always put the stock tune back into the truck taking it back into the dealer. i don't believe the system is tracable to where you can tell it the PCM was reflashed to a custom tune.

i also went with a SCT X3 with custom tunes from 5startuning.com. not too many doing the tunes for the 3.7 for the f150. too different of a tune than the 3.7 mustang though.

on edge programmers, i've never heard of anybody having issues running programmers and then having issues with warranty work even with the motor and trans. but knock on woods!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XolieX
I've always put the stock tune back into the truck taking it back into the dealer. i don't believe the system is tracable to where you can tell it the PCM was reflashed to a custom tune.
If Ford wants the dealer to investigate (because of the nature or expense of the required warranty work) they can and will determine the number of times vehicle was flashed and when it was flashed.

If those 'flashes' do not correspond to the data in their OASIS system, you're screwed.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
That really depends on your dealership. Where I live the local dealers understand that the country boys are going to play with the trucks. Cats are missing, air boxes are enlarged, pipes are bigger and electronics are going to be used. If fact they will install just about anything you ask within reason. My truck has an Edge box with after market pipes along with dealer installed leveling kit. They don't seem to a have problem with it. Chris

Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Why gamble? There's a real good chance this vehicle will go back for warranty issues before 5/60 is up. I'd bet on it. If it's a tranny or engine issue it wont be covered. Ford will be able to tell if you messed with the truck.

Maybe you'll get lucky and you wont have warranty issues. It's your truck do what you want. There was someone here who just recently had warranty work refused and his truck tagged/ warranty voided for mods.

To each his own.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
XolieX
Elder User
a tuner is a untracable mods! i've brought in my truck before and just removed the tune before bringing it and i had no problems. now if i were to do mods like a CAI, throttle body/spacer, larger injectors, aftermarket intake manifold, and headers, i would assume so but all the factory componenets are intact.

i doubt i'll have issues (hopefully) my local dealership has told me in the past that warranty voids will have to be something from obvious abuse and extreme modifications.

thousands of 04-08 f150 users have gone to the sct/edge tuners without any issues and before their warranty were up.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
XolieX
Elder User
ok i got the tuner today after returning from work and boy, did the first time loading anything took a while. and boy, does this thing move now.

i thought when i tuned my 2006 5.4 f150 was a big wow'sers, this tune for the 2011 3.7 f150 is a DOUBLE wow'ser!!!! all of the lag is gone, it holds the gears slightly higher and it accelerates much faster with the same light throttle.

i'd recommend this tuner for anybody with a 2011 F150 for any motor.

and if having a tuner with these trucks was a really big issue, nobody really would be buying them when they are still brand new and hundreds of people are already buying them. if people knew they were going to lose out on their warranty, then nobody would buy them and the tuning companies would be out of luck then until peoples warranties run out.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It is traceable on the 09-up. New vehicles also have black boxes like planes do. No cockpit recorder though.

Unless the tuner can be proven to be the cause of the failed warranty part, then you have nothing to worry about. It's the law.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 PM
XolieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
It is traceable on the 09-up. New vehicles also have black boxes like planes do. No cockpit recorder though.

Unless the tuner can be proven to be the cause of the failed warranty part, then you have nothing to worry about. It's the law.
i've spoke with a few tuning companies now. bill @ powerhungryperformance.com for my 06 f150 tuner, bama performance tuners for my wife's 07 mustang gt, and now mike butler @ www.5startuning.com about tunes. all of them have stated the same thing, they MUST only play with parameter of the tune within safe parameters or they can be held responsible and its the law. heck, bill at php.com won't do any EGR and O2 sensor removal tunes unless you can prove it won't be driven on the streets. i'm sure these guys are doing things within reason and not to hurt anything.

if something were to go wrong, say like a bad stall, i don't think as simple as delaying shift points will cause that problem so they'll probably take care of the problem.

now i can see if i were to change the throttle body and and try to claim a problem with something in that parameters, i can see them not taking care of it.

but again, if tuners were a huge problem with warranties, nobody would be doing them until the warranty is up. hence, tuners not even thinking about making tunes for the when the car/motor is still new.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Ford wants the dealer to investigate (because of the nature or expense of the required warranty work) they can and will determine the number of times vehicle was flashed and when it was flashed. Please note this will not be a dealer decision.

LxMan1 is correct, but when Ford (please note it is not up to dealer discretion) denies your warranty claim it's up to you to prove the tuner did not cause the failure.

The key fact is most experienced F150 tuners DO make damn sure their tunes are safe and thus very few owners ever have a problem. But the question was, "what if?".

The answer is you are screwed and the dealer won't be able to do anything to help you unless THEY decide to pay for the repair themselves.

Quick Reply: Whoo-Yhoo, i got my tuner for my 3.7 ordered today