6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiators once again covered if you have a rad hose o-ring leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
thanks! mine in shop with hose leak. dealer looking into coverage- 08 with 62k.......

Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
dealer just informed me that the tsb says new vehicle limited warenty 3-36 not diesel or emmisions. but he will talk to warr admin to see if it can be coded to cover....

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
truck still in shop. stopped by yesterday to look and was told the hose leak will not be covered under warrenty since it is new car 3-36 and i am over on time and mileage.
should this be covered or is he right?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
mine was not covered since I was at 52K at the time....but I do have an extended bumper to bumper thru my insurance. They covered some of it.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
ok, so they are right and its not covered.... i have the esp but its only good for the motor. if its not covered then its not...... damn...

Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 AM
jboczar
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GWilkrrs,

It is covered, sorry it has been awhile since I checked on my posts. They are wrong, IF you have a radiator leaking AND one of the radiator hose inner o-rings is leaking then the entire repair is covered for 5 yr/100000 miles. Warranty is paid based on a basic code inside the part number. The basic code for an o-ring is 8590 which is covered for 5yr/100000 miles. Per the TSB the entire job can be coded to 8590 which would mean the entire repair would be covered. If you dont believe me send me your VIN and mileage and I will show you. I have seen several dealerships get this wrong already and to be honest even at my own dealership the basic tech does not know what is covered and what isn't because they dont want to take the time to look.

By the way ALL tsbs say they are covered under new car warranty because if you are under 3/36 everything is covered. Here is a paste of what tsbs say.

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Notice the last part where it says warranty coverage is determined by causal part as I mentioned above, the casual part coverage goes past the new car warranty so therefore it is covered.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to thank everyone on this post. As I have posted before, I just bought my F250 in December. It is a 2010 Lariet 4x4 6.4 diesel built 09/09 with now 22,900 miles. After reading the information in this post, printing it and re-reading in printed form, I went out with my creeper and crawled under the truck to inspect. So far I see no issues, however I will inspect on a frequent basis, certainly after long trips and I will keep a close eye on the fluid levels. Hopefully my truck was built with the modifications installed and I will not have to worry about the problem. I am very appreciative of the information in these posts about radiators. I am also very sorry that some of our F250 diesel owners had to suffer through the expierence of this issue.
Dave

Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
orange1954
New User
Part number for 2 O-ring lower hose

I bought a used 08 F250 6.4 powerstroke a couple months ago with 130k miles. Out of warranty. My lower radiator hose is leaking, looks like up where it attaches to engine. From some of the forums, looks like bad O-ring. I've also read that there is a new 2 O-ring design. Does any body know the part number of this 2 O-ring design. I'm thinking of buying one online, but want to make sure I get the better design so I don't have to do this again in a year.
Noticed this yesterday while replacing the tensioner pulley which apparently is another common problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 AM
lithodude
New User
Originally Posted by jboczar
GWilkrrs,

It is covered, sorry it has been awhile since I checked on my posts. They are wrong, IF you have a radiator leaking AND one of the radiator hose inner o-rings is leaking then the entire repair is covered for 5 yr/100000 miles. Warranty is paid based on a basic code inside the part number. The basic code for an o-ring is 8590 which is covered for 5yr/100000 miles. Per the TSB the entire job can be coded to 8590 which would mean the entire repair would be covered. If you dont believe me send me your VIN and mileage and I will show you. I have seen several dealerships get this wrong already and to be honest even at my own dealership the basic tech does not know what is covered and what isn't because they dont want to take the time to look.

By the way ALL tsbs say they are covered under new car warranty because if you are under 3/36 everything is covered. Here is a paste of what tsbs say.

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Notice the last part where it says warranty coverage is determined by causal part as I mentioned above, the casual part coverage goes past the new car warranty so therefore it is covered.
Thank You jboczar!
Just one last detail I need help with. The dealer is telling me that the "dealer code" in the TSB (8590) does not mean it's warranted. I say "what does it mean then?" They say it's none of my business, just internal dealer information. How can I find some documentation to take to them to prove their ignorance? I can't find this code in my warranty book, guess they have to be forced to do the right thing. Please help educate my service manager.
Thank You

Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by lithodude
Thank You jboczar!
Just one last detail I need help with. The dealer is telling me that the "dealer code" in the TSB (8590) does not mean it's warranted. I say "what does it mean then?" They say it's none of my business, just internal dealer information. How can I find some documentation to take to them to prove their ignorance? I can't find this code in my warranty book, guess they have to be forced to do the right thing. Please help educate my service manager.
Thank You
fords system for parts tell them warranty or not. It is not warranty. Only during the 36/36.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 AM
rjlabonte
Junior User
I’m having my done this Tuesday,05/01/2012, new radiator, hoses, overflow bottle, etc. all covered under warranty, no cost to me.
I have a 2008 F-450 with 53,000 miles.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
anyone have the link for this tsb?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Gunslinger724
Freshman User
I just took mine to the dealer yesterday for a leaking radiator. They said its not covered and the cost is about $1100 to replace the radiator!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
my lower radiator hose started leaking and is in the shop now. All covered under my warranty including a rental car up to 5 days. Truck has 25,400 miles, purchased 6-28-07.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
Ford is strarting to pi$$ me off again!

I noticed a small puddle under my truck last night. It didn't look like it was from the a/c so I checked it out and it was slippery, and yellowish green. Damn radiator again! I am on my 3rd with 83K on my 2008 all stock truck. I rarely tow and am being told by service tech's over the phone that it will unlikely be covered. If anybody knows of a dealership in Houston, Texas that is willing to get this fixed under warranty please let me know. Thanks! I am currently talking to Joe Myers and Planet Ford, both have already replaced one radiator each for me. The last one being at Planet Ford Dec 09 with 59K.

Quick Reply: Radiators once again covered if you have a rad hose o-ring leaking