Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Servicing HPOP without removal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
IHMANKY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Servicing HPOP without removal.

For someone fairly handy with a wrench, about how long does the non-removal o-ring job take? Got a leak that appears to be coming up high on the HPOP, haven't had a chance to get at it yet to find out for sure, but no more expense than it was, ordered the works from Guzzle, line tool and all. Just wondering about how long it should take not counting loctite curing. Thanks. Any of you who saw my previous posts about the "missing" on startup until the engine warms up, I figured out that going to half throttle on startup stops this from happening. Through trial and error, I believe this oil leak in the HPOP is causing this missing issue. Someone smarter than me would have figured that out sooner, but the HPOP just began leaking enough to come out of the valley and show up on the ground.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Which exact o-rings are you replacing? IPR or HPO line fittings are pretty easy in vehicle. The end plug adds a bit of complexity to it. The "non-serviceable" plug has a little check ball hidden in there and it's advised to just remove the pump before messing with that.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
You can not service the "non-serviceable" plug without removing the pump from the engine bay. If this is the first time of pulling the pump, you better figure 4 to 6 hours.

If you try to service it on the truck, you better figure a week or more.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris and Bob are right on the $$ there we did one and the ball fell out truck would not start. How we managed to find it is a miracle in itself.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

To replace the o-rings on the discharge fittings and rear plug, you will still want to drain the reservoir and pump so you can clean the threads with Brake Clean to remove all oil residue to allow the LocTite to adhere to the metal threads. Prep work will take longer than replacing the o-rings on these 'easy to get to' fittings.

Without removing the pump for these basic leaks, figure on a couple of hours, not counting cure times.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
IHMANKY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP

Thanks all, yes, for now, just the lines and IPR, as I believe that's where it's at. Will know for sure once I pull it into the shop this weekend. Not going to do the non-serviceable unless that proves to be the culprit, I will have to drop back and punt if that's it, order the stuff for the bowl lines prior to taking all that apart.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Give me a call an I can go over with you the procedure to diagnose exactly where the leak is coming from before you tear into it.