Popping sound from front end when turning tight circles ... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Popping sound from front end when turning tight circles ...

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
98SurplusExpy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

New to my potential maintenance list ...

I have a "popping sound" from the front end when turning tight circles (like in a parking lot). Sound is there with both left & right circle turns. The closest thing I can relate the sound to is when you have a front wheel drive car that has bad CV Joints.

Truck is a 4X4 w/ about 45k miles ... no suspension mods & factory 20" tires.

Anybody with similar noise that has already had a diagnosis & fix?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM
sand_fiend
Work in Progress
sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.
With your truck in park and off. Climb under your truck and try to spin the drive line. if it turns the axle freely, then the hubs are free. My drive line did not spin.. I drove my truck for about a year like that.. I thought it was the way it is on these ford 4x4s. Then i asked a question about it on here and found out my front end was locked on, Even though it was not in 4 wheel and the hubs were not locked. The universal joints pop when turning tight turns. The problem turned out to be that one of my hubs was dirty inside and not releasing, causing the axle to turn all the time and pop when turning. I took both hubs off and one was stuck locked. I Just clean them out and re-grease the inside. made sure the gear inside moved in and out and reinstalled.. worked great !!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
98SurplusExpy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by sand_fiend View Post
With your truck in park and off. Climb under your truck and try to spin the drive line. if it turns the axle freely, then the hubs are free. My drive line did not spin.. I drove my truck for about a year like that.. I thought it was the way it is on these ford 4x4s. Then i asked a question about it on here and found out my front end was locked on, Even though it was not in 4 wheel and the hubs were not locked. The universal joints pop when turning tight turns. The problem turned out to be that one of my hubs was dirty inside and not releasing, causing the axle to turn all the time and pop when turning. I took both hubs off and one was stuck locked. I Just clean them out and re-grease the inside. made sure the gear inside moved in and out and reinstalled.. worked great !!
Yep ... that's what it was! Right front hub was locked (although it was in the Auto position). I stiched it from Auto to Lock about three times & tried the drive shaft again and it started turning free again.

Thanks for the test-tip!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
sand_fiend
Work in Progress
sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 98SurplusExpy View Post
Yep ... that's what it was! Right front hub was locked (although it was in the Auto position). I stiched it from Auto to Lock about three times & tried the drive shaft again and it started turning free again.

Thanks for the test-tip!
No problem.. I have learned a lot From this site over the last few months since i have been a member..