Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Places to look for cause of low MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
M&RSmith11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of great info on here guys....I'm new to the site here, but have a little info that really has helped my MPGs also. Warm the engine before you move. I thought it was bogus info for the summer months, but has really turned out to be on the money...Wait till the "needle" starts to climb before driving. Can really make a difference, not to mention gets the engine full of lube before you start raising the RPMs

Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by M&RSmith11
A lot of great info on here guys....I'm new to the site here, but have a little info that really has helped my MPGs also. Warm the engine before you move. I thought it was bogus info for the summer months, but has really turned out to be on the money...Wait till the "needle" starts to climb before driving. Can really make a difference, not to mention gets the engine full of lube before you start raising the RPMs
Welcome to FTE...BUT...This is exactly wrong...no disrespect intended. When you idle a vehicle, what mpg are you getting during the whole warm-up process? Exactly ZERO MPG. The engine IS "full of lube" once the engine starts...The idea is to drive it gently until it warms up, but to idle is to waste fuel and lower overall mpg. Getting a diesel engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible is a key to good mpg and you do that by driving the vehicle, not idling it.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:24 PM
unregistered guest
Junior User
Make sure your brakes aren't hanging up or dragging. These trucks are notorious for the calipers sticking.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford79
So, using these theories, if I ditch the 6637, 4" lift and 285 mud tread tires I should get back close to 10mpg??????

Take all mileage claims with a grain of salt. Not saying that anyone here is lying, but there really are too many variables to apply to mileage being the same for everyone.
The OP simply asked for ideas on where to look for mileage improvements, lift kits do affect the aerodynamic resistance of the truck bu changing the air flow pattern under the chassis, aggressive tread patterns have a higher resistance to roll as indicated on the side wall, hot air is less dense as proven by the laws of physics! These improvements will not nesseceraly be concurant but cumulative, and will provide increaseses for the majority, will I be doing any of them no I'm happy with my 16/17mpg

Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Trey what condition are your injectors in?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad MAP sensor. A couple of years ago there was a long thread about how a bad MAP sensor will lower mileage considerably.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
Bad MAP sensor. A couple of years ago there was a long thread about how a bad MAP sensor will lower mileage considerably.
Good catch Scott...wasn't there something about cleaning out the EPBV tube and MPG?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
A few things to look at and test.
1. Tire tread pattern. Aggressive tires will normally yield worse mileage.
2. Air intake. I had 5 customers tell me that they all lost 4 mpg after installing the intake. Try putting the stock air box back in.
3. HPOP pressures. Low pressures will prevent optimum atomization.
4. Fuel quality. Make sure you run a good additive.
5. Oil. Good clean oil will help. Remember to always change the HPOP reservoir oil each time.

Jody
I am surprised #5 includes the HPOP reservoir. I thought that was accepted as unnecessary.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
Trey what condition are your injectors in?
No idea. But I've never had any symptoms to suggest they need any attention.

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
I am unfamiliar with MAP sensor. Can you please tell me what it stands for, what it does, how it works, etc?

Originally Posted by nlemerise
Good catch Scott...wasn't there something about cleaning out the EPBV tube and MPG?
Yes. I did notice an increase in MPG when I cleaned out my EBP Sensor and tubing.

Originally Posted by dn29626
I am surprised #5 includes the HPOP reservoir. I thought that was accepted as unnecessary.
Ditto. I also thought that was considered unnecessary. Jody has spoken!

Originally Posted by unregistered guest
Make sure your brakes aren't hanging up or dragging. These trucks are notorious for the calipers sticking.
Would THIS be the procedure to fix that?

Originally Posted by nlemerise
I'm going to assume that you are doing all the things that the driver can do to maximize fuel mileage. The best drivers can get a 30% increase in fuel mileage over the worse drivers in the same vehicle (this has been proven by fleets numerous times). Given that Trey, you might want to read this white paper by Cummins (it is aimed at Class 8 trucks, but the physics applies to other vehicles.
Thanks. I have read that document before, and follow all the suggestions. Even reinstalled my airdam.

Originally Posted by hotroddsl
4lbs at 65 mph is bought right unless you are towing heavy or running up a steep grade! Don't mistake high boost for required boost!
I now realize that 4lbs is normal at cruising speeds. Yesterday I pulled my IC tubes and boots, cleaned everything thoroughly, and reinstalled today. The majority of my boost leak is gone! I can now produce 25lbs of boost easily (and by that I mean putting the pedal down), where as before I could push 15lbs and be worried my turbo was going to blow up because of how loud it was.

Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
Trey, as I am new to the PSD world too, I'm curious to see what answers you may get out of this thread.

What tune are you running that you are pulling the low MPGs? Are you sticking to one in particular or is your stated MPG an average?

I'm still on my first tank of diesel at the moment. Haven't had much cause to drive my truck as of yet with vacation and a pregnant wife who can't climb up in to the monster. But, I'm running a stock Superchips tune at the moment until I get a warm fuzzy on what the MPG is. Then I plan to switch over to the economy tune I downloaded yesterday and see how that pans out.

I'd recommend running through the entire driveline to make sure all the mechnicals are 100%. One bad u-joint or wheel bearing can cause a ripple effect that will degrade performance, IMO. Will it degrade it enough to drop you to 13MPG? Doubtful. But I imagine you want every percentage point back that you can possibly get.
Currently I hop between 80t and 80e on my DP Tuner as required for work. My 13MPG is averaged tank to tank. The tuner is not to blame, it can only work with what its given and if something is broken it cant fix it. My MPGs sucked before the tuner, and the tuner didnt change that, but it added MUCH more power. So I gained power and no change to MPGs. I guess that could translate into improved economy.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
intercooler boots

I brought this up on some of the other threads. But i had very dirty leaky looking intercooler boots. A local shop removed,cleaned and reinstalled. Seemed to raise my mpg back up to its normal. Seemed to me i gained 2to 3mpg back.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Krazymaan
Senior User
I can't believe nobody mentioned gear ratio's. you could be "pushing plywood through wind" with your big truck. You lifted it, added bigger tires. Now your engine is "struggling" to keep up speed. If you started with 3.73's you would need to go to like 4.11's to keep everything in prospective.
When I was building Ford "streetable" rock crawlers. I was using 5.89's. Couldn't go fast, but the engine never struggled and got great mpg's with 42's
This isn't a bash on your lift kit and big tires. Its just an observation that nobody including you mentioned your gear ratio's. My 91 IDI 7.3 "bread Van" got 14mpg and it had 5.14's Talking about pushing plywood through the air.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazymaan
I can't believe nobody mentioned gear ratio's. you could be "pushing plywood through wind" with your big truck. You lifted it, added bigger tires. Now your engine is "struggling" to keep up speed. If you started with 3.73's you would need to go to like 4.11's to keep everything in prospective.
When I was building Ford "streetable" rock crawlers. I was using 5.89's. Couldn't go fast, but the engine never struggled and got great mpg's with 42's
This isn't a bash on your lift kit and big tires. Its just an observation that nobody including you mentioned your gear ratio's. My 91 IDI 7.3 "bread Van" got 14mpg and it had 5.14's Talking about pushing plywood through the air.
My gear ratio is 3.73. My current tires are 305/70/16, which equals 32.8" according to
Metric To Inches Tire Size Conversion

According to Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
The factory size was 235/85/16 which equals 31.7".

What would be my optimum gear ratio? I am not good with gear ratio stuff... So help me out here. Going to an "Optimum gear ratio" such as 4.11 or 4.27 should put my MPGs in line? Will it hurt off road capabilities or affect towing?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
I have a 6" lift and all terrains and get around 17mpg on 80e

Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have no lift 285-75-16 on 3.73 with mods in sig and i only get 16 mpg so i dont know what to teal you. and i got only 15 with the stock air box?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
I also have my 6637 under the hood, no air box, but i cut holes in the front so it feeds more fresh air at high speed. the bottom of the battery box is still mounted, with the front air feeder box tube, but there's no cap on the box.

my 80e shifts into 4th early too so i can cruise around town in 4th gear @ 41mph

Quick Reply: Places to look for cause of low MPGs