1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trailer Wiring Short; need help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer Wiring Short; need help, please!

I have a 2 year old 5 x 10 utility trailer that apparently has a short in it. When you put on the right turn signal, it blinks and so does the left running light, not the turn signal. Everything checks out at the truck. I just don't know how to trouble shoot it with the ohm meter, as it has continuity across all three connectors any way you check them. The left turn signal works fine, the fourway blinkers work and the running lights work fine.

Would sure appreciate any help you guys could give me, as I'm heading across country to Phoenix next Sat.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Waynenap
I have a 2 year old 5 x 10 utility trailer that apparently has a short in it. When you put on the right turn signal, it blinks and so does the left running light, not the turn signal. Everything checks out at the truck. I just don't know how to trouble shoot it with the ohm meter, as it has continuity across all three connectors any way you check them. The left turn signal works fine, the fourway blinkers work and the running lights work fine.

Would sure appreciate any help you guys could give me, as I'm heading across country to Phoenix next Sat.
Check/clean your ground on the right side light. Usually is a white wire that might have a star washer crimped onto it and attached to one of the bolts that holds the lift fixture to it's bracket. I usually have to scuff off the paint on the bracket so the washer is on bare metal for a better ground. This might be your issue as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Thanks Greg, I'll check that out.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
I checked and cleaned all the grounds and still the same. The guy whose buying my house and his Dad were over to do some measuring and gave me a hand. Well, it turned out to be the **** on the left bulb were shorting out. New bulb and Voila!