Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

A/C Compressor went the way of the do-do

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor went the way of the do-do

Well ... just when it's supposed to get HOT and STICKY ... my a/c compressor started to make noises this morning and quit cooling. I have a feeling it blew out the oil before I got the cooling fan back in. It did a pressure release on me a couple of times when I forgot to shut it off.

Questions ...
The compressors still runs (very noisy and doesn't cool. Can I get by with adding oil? I assume it's probably best just to replace the compressor.

If I replace the compressor, what needs to be done?
Evacuate system?
Replace Compressor
Recharge
I have a sneaky suspicion that the "synthetic" R134a I used was a sneaky way of adding the stop leak crap into the system. I need to go to Autozone and look at a can for sure. Most of the other synthetics I've looked at since have it mixed in. If it does have the stop leak junk ... what to do about it?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks Michael! You can try adding oil but that probably won't fix it or help for long. If your compressor is completely blown up it could be pumping metal shavings in to the lines so then you should replace compressor, evacuate the system, oil charge, replace expansion tube and possibly replace the accumulater/dryer. Recharge the system. You might get by with less depending on how bad the compressor is. If it has shelled bad then I would flush the whole system before installing any new parts! Good luck! Oh and get that fan working cause without that the pressure gets way to high which I think you know that already.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Thanks Troy. I just put a new accumulator/dryer in a few weeks ago when I put a new condenser in.

The fan is in and working. I put it in last weekend. The compressor just went this morning. I idled the truck last night after working on it with the A/C on. I didn't *hear* any problems last night. Unfortunately, I did smell something this morning on my way into town. I thought I could hear the compressor, so I shut it off until I got to town and could visually inspect it.

I might just replace the compressor myself, then have a shop evacuate, flush and possibly recharge it. I'll at least save myself the cost and labor of the compressor. I can get a compressor from RockAuto for $150 +$20 core.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good! Hope it all works out for you!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, Michael you are having a Dave type run of luck. Hopefully you can get it all worked out. Otherwise it's time for a GTG.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Thanks!

i've got plenty to do for a GTG ... just not enough $$$ to fund it. This one's gonna hurt. The system is full of refrigerant and don't really like the idea of just blowing it into the air. Compressor is most likely shot though so I have to do something.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All I can offer is my sympathy.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Well Tom ought to be able to offer something. I keep reading he's good at topside work!!

Ordered compressor this afternoon. I'm gonna try getting some PAG oil and see if it helps. I'm already assuming the compressor is shot, so can't hurt to try is my theory.

Maybe it'll at least get me through the weekend.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil might do it, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you want to drive aways I can help you do it at the shop and save the freon and stuff...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Dave ... I might take you up on that. I ordered the compressor today. Should be here mid week. Accunulator/drier should be ok since I just did it. We'll see what shops around here want to evac/flush/charge. Compressor is likely shot. Red oxidization over front of clutch.890

Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
The compressor shipped today already. If it comes out of TX again, should be here Tue or Wed. Not sure when I'll be able to get up to your area Dave. I'm willing to wait.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dlibson
Oil might do it, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you want to drive aways I can help you do it at the shop and save the freon and stuff...
Dave ... would you be available Thursday evening? I might be in the area for work. I have to coordinate schedule with my wife yet. It's kinda hard to be out of town. She works 45 minutes south of our house and the kids are 20 minutes north during the day in Mankato.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that should work just fine!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Thanks Dave!

I'll let you know. I just looked up the tracking information for the compressor. It's supposed to arrive at my house on Thursday. I'm going to call FedEx tomorrow and see if there is any way to pick it up in Mankato on Wednesday afternoon/night. That might be my only shot.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
FedEx wa so unhelpful. The compressor is going to be coming right through Mankato. They can't hold it or redirect it until delivery has been attempted. Ordered one from Amazon. $5 less news (not reman) and should be here Wed. I'll just return the other one to RockAuto on Friday.