Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking fuel line. under turbo

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
hedhntr
Senior User
hedhntr is starting off with a positive reputation.
leaking fuel line. under turbo

The fuel line on the passenger side under the turbo that leads to the head is leaking looks like from rubbing on the pedestal, anyone ever just cut it and throw in some fuel line and hose clamps?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't recommend it as that line sees 50 to 70psi and is easy to replace with the correct line anyway! Also there are some improved isolator bushings available for it.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
The fuel pressure is around 50-70 psi and you would have a hard time keeping it from blowing off without flaring the end or something to hold the hose.

The line should have a clamp off of the plenum bolts. You can wrap the clamp with protective material as they have been know to wear through also.

A new line is fairly affordable, or get yourself a splice union for 5/16" tubing.

Here is what I did as a precaution.

Name:  PassengersideFuelLinechafefixClose.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 AM
richartdana44
Senior User
richartdana44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This just happened to me last week. The clamp rubbed through the line after 143,000 miles and it caused a big leak. Had to take in to a Ford dealer since I was on the road. They replaced the line in just a few hours but left the clamp off. The mechanic said he has replaced several of these lines and does not reinstall the clamp on any of them.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by richartdana44 View Post
This just happened to me last week. The clamp rubbed through the line after 143,000 miles and it caused a big leak. Had to take in to a Ford dealer since I was on the road. They replaced the line in just a few hours but left the clamp off. The mechanic said he has replaced several of these lines and does not reinstall the clamp on any of them.
i would think, the vibration would end up cracking the line again, either at the fuel bowl or back of head.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.
i replaced mine with a rubber hose and some fittings to make it work, I dont believe in replacng faulty parts with the same faulty part

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-leak.html

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.
total it cost me about $25 to fix, and half a day. the hardest parts of the job for me were a) finding the right fittings and b) getting the line tight in the back of the head.

just make sure you dont get any grime in the hole on the back of the head.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
bulla
Postmaster
bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
I had this happen on a company truck and replaced the line with a new one from ford. Not expensive and not to hard. But the mechanic did say not to reinstall the clamp. Been fine ever since. So the first time I pulled my turbo on my truck I deleted the clamp
And it's been fine since! I don't think the hard line would crack leaving the clamp off cause of the way it's attached with the rubber seals. I think they would allow the play it needs. By the way that part was a stock item and I did not have to wait on it. Picked it up and changed it that day!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bulla View Post
I had this happen on a company truck and replaced the line with a new one from ford. Not expensive and not to hard. But the mechanic did say not to reinstall the clamp. Been fine ever since. So the first time I pulled my turbo on my truck I deleted the clamp
And it's been fine since! I don't think the hard line would crack leaving the clamp off cause of the way it's attached with the rubber seals. I think they would allow the play it needs. By the way that part was a stock item and I did not have to wait on it. Picked it up and changed it that day!
how much did you pay? i remember them wanting over $120 for it when mine went

Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM
bulla
Postmaster
bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
i would think, the vibration would end up cracking the line again, either at the fuel bowl or back of head.
I don't think it cracks but actually wears it thin till it ruptures.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM
bulla
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rose Clifford View Post
how much did you pay? i remember them wanting over $120 for it when mine went
Just called, it's $48+ tax.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 PM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
The problem with the clamp is the fact that it is loose on the tube. That causes wear as the tube is allowed to move in the clamp. That causes the problem. Clamps have to be snug in order to do the job properly.

Leaving it off is fine, but keeping it in place requires you make sure it is snug on the tube.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Rose88racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just had this happen as I'm typing. Made it to a dealer and part is 60.00 plus 2 1/2 labor at 166.00/hr. But had no choice they got ya. Technician said he has replaced 100 in his 30 years and he recommended leaving the clamp off.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Rose88racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nothing like throwing 520.00 away!

Environmental Fee 50.00 what a rip off didn't even use a can of cleaner.

Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
We were just talking about this the other day. Some people here leave the clamp off altogether, and some add more protection under where the clamp contacts the fuel line. Not many will get away with not doing at least one or the other without eventually getting a fuel leak, as you have unfortunately discovered.

If you are worried that International put the clamp on there for a reason, and don't wish to discover what that reason is down the road, then I would suggest a larger, longer clamp that is capable of holding more protection around the fuel line, like this:

Here is a short photo write up of how to install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-of-7-3l.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaking fuel line. under turbo

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.