6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Newbie having issues, issues, issues, and guess what? More issues! o.O

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Derrick Moore
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie having issues, issues, issues, and guess what? More issues! o.O

Hi everyone!

So, as you can tell, I'm a

My parents own a 2003 Ford F-250 Lariat Superduty Turbodiesel. Very dependable vehicle. Over 200,000 miles with no problems. But, as with most vehicles, all good things must come to an end if you do not do routine miatenence(? spelling.....). So I wasn't too surprised when one day the truck lost power going uphill.

So we (My Mom bought the part and I installed it) replaced the air filter...

And the truck ran fine. But everything went downhill from there....

The truck lost power again. I found out that the gauge used to measure air intake through the filter was broken in half and was "quick fixed" with duct tape. People, contrary to popular belief, duct tape is not the fixer of all things.....

So my Mom bought a new guage and I installed it. The truck ran fine again.

Then, again, the truck lost power.

It sat for several weeks in front of our house waiting to be repaired. We finally had it taken to a repair shop. We waited for three weeks on the repairs......

...And we got it back, the truck ran even worse. It now had a hard time starting, and it still was lacking power. Then one day, when my mom drove it around, the truck simply stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. As you can probably tell, we were very angry at the mechanic since we paid him a large sum of money to have the truck fixed.

It's been a couple of months since this incident. The truck will start and run until its operating temperature has been reached, and then stall. There has also been days where the truck will not start at all.

We've replaced a Camshaft Positioning Sensor on the truck thinking that it would solve the problem. The truck now starts right up, but still stalls and then won't start back up after the operating temperature has been reached.

Another mechanic says that something is wrong with the engine internally, stating that there is a damaged gasket somewhere in the oil system...

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong in the fuel system. There have been times where we've noticed that the diesel fuel didn't even reach the filter on the top of the engine....

I'm just getting sick and tired of the ....

Any help, ideas, and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Derrick

Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
You should figure out whether you have a 7.3 or a 6.0 turbo diesel. Both were in '03 trucks. Once you know which you have, then maybe let us know too.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Derrick Moore
New User
6.0 V-8. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Wow...where do we start here? First off, see if you can get a code reader and find out if there are any DTC's stored so you may have a starting point. Second off, are the fuel filters and oil new? Do you use motorcraft? I'm assuming the truck does not have a tuner or mods?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Derrick Moore
New User
A mechanic used a code reader on the truck and came up with a code that (I believe) read "T0113." I'll have to check tomorrow to be sure...

The only mod that was in the truck was a CB radio, long since removed.

The oil was supposedly changed 3 months ago...
We were not told what brand oil was put in.

Yes, the fuel filters are new.

I also forgot to mention that the truck is 4-wheel drive. My apologies.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
P0113? Intake Air Temp circuit I believe. First off, I don't know how the hell you got
200k outta your 6.0 without routine maintenance? These engines require you do the maintenance to reduce issues like these. I'll start by telling you that you cannot use anything but Motorcraft or Racor filters. Also make sure you are using a good quality
5w-40 0r 15w-40 oil. Prefferably a synthetic.Change the oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k.Go to the 6.0 section we have a little further down and start learning as much as you can.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Derrick Moore
New User
Honestly, I have NO clue... Grace of God, I guess...
The oil was maintained at least...
My parents truck, not mine....

My mom wants to know what happens if we have used a different brand of filter in the truck. She thinks that the overcharging mechanic used cheap filters. Could that contribute to the problem?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
There isn't enough info here for anyone to help, except to tell you to take it to a 6.0 expert. Either the dealership, or a good independent. I cannot stress enough that the shop needs to know the 6.0 specifically, not just diesels in general.

Otherwise, you could be replacing parts forever at considerable expense and still not have the problem fixed.

Be prepared to spend some serious money. Your 6.0 luck is about to run out at 200k miles. Which is pretty darned good!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Derrick Moore
New User
Exclamation Update

Well, we finally were able to have the truck towed to our local Ford dealership. After two days we recieved a call back from Ford stating that our high pressure oil pump (and our steering pump) had failed and that we needed them to be replaced. They want $4000 to have the truck repaired. My mom is wanting to buy the parts and repair the truck ourselves, since we do not have that amount of money immediately on hand, and we are wary of the mechanics. Is it possible to repair this ourselves, and if so, where is the high pressure oil pump located? Pics would be great! Thanks!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
wwell it can be done if your mechanicaly inclined
I watch my HPO with gauges you can see if it leaks

you need to pull the turbo off and intake manafold and stuff off
heres a pic of the HPOP on an 03
It is quite involved this took me 4 days Im not as fast as some on here but I like it clean and orderly

heres a good shot of the HPOP with the ICP and IPR sensors

Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Derrick Moore
New User
Thanks a whole lot. This will be extremely helpful.

Any special tools required?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
I mean this will all respect, Derrick. Honestly thinking about your best option. But if you don't even know where the pump is located, I do not think you want to try this on your own.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
keep in mind there are ALOT of parts to come off and ALOT of WORK

Read thru these first and then decide if you want any part of it

Its a presision machine and has to be put back together Exact!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...%20Removal.pdf

https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...%20removal.pdf

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
You should ask the dealership what tests were performed to determine that the HPOP was bad. There are specific tests to determine this.

Many people have been told they have a bad HPOP and it is only a leak in the HPO system. Still labor to fix, but parts are WAY cheaper. I will say that the early model years do have a history of issues w/ the HPOP though.

How did you determine that the upper fuel filter was not getting fuel?

Quick Reply: Newbie having issues, issues, issues, and guess what? More issues! o.O