Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck Update and X-Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Automator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Update and X-Plan

Well, it looks like my truck is gone for good, insurance is settling and sending a check. I want to wait to find the right truck to replace it (another 7.3L) but since I am without a vehicle and the rental is costing a small fortune now that the insurance has claimed a settlement I need to buy something now. So I am looking to get a new Mustang to drive until I find another 7.3. I see there is an X-Plan that the dealer asked about and was wandering if anyone knows anything about this as well. I will buy by the end of the week if they find a car, but I will be back with a truck!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I must have missed it but what happened to your truck Dave?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Automator
Elder User
May 25th I was having heart surgery and my truck was stolen from the hospital parking lot in Indianapolis.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Glad your doing better, bummer about the truck i remember your thread, thats enough to give ya, a heart attack. Dam theives. Why a mustand? let the wifee drive the F150 ecoboost she'll forget about the stang. LOL. There's are some nice 7.3 out there yet, good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dave. Glad the insurance came through. What kind of Mustang are you looking at? Good luck finding the 7.3 you want.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Automator
Elder User
I don't need two trucks and want another 7.3, so I don't need a F150. With the miles I put on a vehicle, it is better to have two and now that I am on my own, I need backup anyway. I'm looking at 2011/12 Mustang GT with manual tranny for the summer primary duty and the truck for winter primary duty.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Automator
... I see there is an X-Plan that the dealer asked about and was wandering if anyone knows anything about this as well. ...
As best as I understand it, the X plan is a new vehicle purchase program offered to employees, retirees, spouses and other household members of selected Tier 1 suppliers, business partners, fleet partners etc. I believe they have an A plan as well but that is for direct Ford employees, spouses etc. The A plan offers a larger discount than the X plan does (or at least that was how it worked out when I was looking at a new truck back in 2008...)

Depending on how you quality, you will need to register for a PIN and then notify the dealer that you want to buy on the X plan when you begin shopping. At that point, the negotiating is over except for special packages and accessories that you want to purchase for additional cost. The dealer should bring out the actual invoice and you pay the amount on the bottom plus a small fee (around 1/2% or something similar...)

In my personal opinion, the A plan can not be beat and anyone who qualifies should take advantage of that benefit. The X plan is more equivalent to a nicely negotiated deal that could be made by the average purchaser. It would be pretty tough to beat the X plan outright but still possible if the dealer was trying to move old stock or has some special incentive to sell a certain vehicle.

From what I remember, not all vehicles qualify for these plans so you will have to check. I think Mustangs are eligible but the new Boss 302 might not. Lastly, not all dealers are required to participate so if your dealer resists, then find another who is willing to work with you. Sounds like your dealer does participate so you are off to a good start.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope your recovery is going well. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Automator
I don't need two trucks and want another 7.3, so I don't need a F150. With the miles I put on a vehicle, it is better to have two and now that I am on my own, I need backup anyway. I'm looking at 2011/12 Mustang GT with manual tranny for the summer primary duty and the truck for winter primary duty.
Thanks for sharing about the circumstances of the loss of your truck Dave. I pray that you are doing better ! I saw one of those new Mustang GT's the other day as I waited for my wife at the store...made the old heart skip a beat...really sharp and I actually priced one out...that made my heart skip again !

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
I used to work for a company (Siemens) whose employees were eligible for the X Plan. I never used it myself, but my manager used it to buy an '04 Cobra and said it was legit. Rock bottom price with no haggling.

Sorry about your truck. I remember your thread about the theft. It's good to know that the "authorities" had a nice video of the truck being stolen. What the hell good does that do? I work at a large medical center and my truck was broken into but not stolen. Those places are often located in inner cities and you are risking your life and property when you go there to seek medical treatment. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn... stolen from a hospital parking lot? That's lower than low. They will get theirs in the end.

I often wondered about the X-Plan too so thanks for the info, everyone. And the wifey is looking at Mustangs. I drove my niece's 2011 'stang last weekend and it was very nice.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
X Plan is nice, but see if you can find someone who is eligible for the A Plan. It'll save you a lot more.

Stewart

Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
To be eligible for A plan you need to be a Ford employee, not a Ford dealer, or a close relative. Those eligible are spouse, parents, grandparents, brother, sister, and variations of that. If you don't meet one of those you can get an X plan from any Ford employee, but once again, dealer employees don't count.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
dealer employees don't count.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that.

I had a buddy who got hooked up by his friends Dad, who bought the vehicle for him on his A plan.

I should have been more specific.

Doesn't Ford also limit how often an employee can use the A plan? Isn't is like once a year, or once every two or something like that?

Stewart

Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Automator
Elder User
My friend's father is retired Ford employee and I believe he bought his Ford on an A
Plan.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Ford employees and retirees can buy four A plan vehicles per calendar year.