2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift kit questions

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstate45
The last piece of advice I can give you is to do it right once and you won't have problems down the road... i.e. don't buy a $25 spacer off Ebay when the nice one costs $200.

Secondly, don't stack lifts. It's not safe.

And lastly, please don't do a body lift. In an accident the bolts have a tendency to bend and a lot of frames are replaced to that tune. (While I don't do body work, I have 3 friends in the industry)

-rockstate
yep, I completely agree. I am definitely doing a suspension lift. Im doing all my research now so I get what I want and get quality. Thanks for the words of wisdom!! last question (for now) do you know if the shops doing the work will use kits I buy from else where or do they typically only install items they carry? I have some connections that I may get the kits discounted but still need someone to install them.Thanks!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jjoyce11
yep, I completely agree. I am definitely doing a suspension lift. Im doing all my research now so I get what I want and get quality. Thanks for the words of wisdom!! last question (for now) do you know if the shops doing the work will use kits I buy from else where or do they typically only install items they carry? I have some connections that I may get the kits discounted but still need someone to install them.Thanks!

It depends... if they carry the item they'll be more likely to install it. Their guys won't like it if it's something they haven't put on before but if you bring instructions then it should be fine.

If you bring in a suspension lift that's of quality, more than likely they've put one on that truck before and it should be fine.

however, they might upcharge a little bit since they're not profiting on the sale of the lift kit.

Check it out and see waht they say.

-rockstate

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Jodi, if you really want a high quality, well engineered lift for your truck, then you need to check out Fabtech:
Products > FORD 4WD > F150 2004-08 > 6" Systems

They only offer a 6" kit, and suggest a 35" tire.
Their basic system is very nice, and more friendly on the budget. It can be paired from Fabtech with Bilstein shocks. This would probably be the best choice for you.

If you wanted to go "all out", then their performance kit is the way to go. Their 2.5 Dirt Logic coilovers are really nice, and can really only be beat by those offerings from King shocks.

ok, ill continue my research and ask questions. I assumed that would be the answer but just thought i would double check.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Jodi, if you really want a high quality, well engineered lift for your truck, then you need to check out Fabtech:
Products > FORD 4WD > F150 2004-08 > 6" Systems

They only offer a 6" kit, and suggest a 35" tire.
Their basic system is very nice, and more friendly on the budget. It can be paired from Fabtech with Bilstein shocks. This would probably be the best choice for you.

If you wanted to go "all out", then their performance kit is the way to go. Their 2.5 Dirt Logic coilovers are really nice, and can really only be beat by those offerings from King shocks.
Thank you again. I will look into them. im still thinking about if i want the 4 inch or 6 inch lift. once I finally make up my mind then things will be easier to decide on. The pictures you sent me the link to were 6 inch and i loved them. however, because I am still not sure of what size i want do you feel a 4 inch would be able to accomplish the same look just slightly smaller or will it be not nearly as "mach" looking? i know there is only two inches inbetween the 4 and 6 that i am trying to decide on but i didnt know if it would be much of a different to the eye or not. What do you think? if i did go with the 6 inch lift and the 35 tires about how much total would it lift the truck? Thank you!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jjoyce11
Thank you again. I will look into them. im still thinking about if i want the 4 inch or 6 inch lift. once I finally make up my mind then things will be easier to decide on. The pictures you sent me the link to were 6 inch and i loved them. however, because I am still not sure of what size i want do you feel a 4 inch would be able to accomplish the same look just slightly smaller or will it be not nearly as "mach" looking? i know there is only two inches inbetween the 4 and 6 that i am trying to decide on but i didnt know if it would be much of a different to the eye or not. What do you think? if i did go with the 6 inch lift and the 35 tires about how much total would it lift the truck? Thank you!!!!!!!
Well a 6" lift is going to lift the front 6" and the back 4" to bring the truck level. So with that said, lets call the door height a change of 5" just for the lift.
5" for the lift, and 35"-32"= 3"/2 = 1.5" for the tire diameter change

About 6.5" worth of total height adjustment. Now this is a 'round-a-bout number, just to give you a general assessment of how things will change.

If you were really concerned with getting into the truck after the lift, then look into AMP Research power drop steps:
Ford F150 Super Cab / Super Crew - 2004 thru 2008 Availability: In Stock - Free Shipping AMP Research Power Step Kit - ElectricStep - AMP Research In-Stock Shipping Center
They drop when a door is opened, and fold when the door is closed.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Well a 6" lift is going to lift the front 6" and the back 4" to bring the truck level. So with that said, lets call the door height a change of 5" just for the lift.
5" for the lift, and 35"-32"= 3"/2 = 1.5" for the tire diameter change

About 6.5" worth of total height adjustment. Now this is a 'round-a-bout number, just to give you a general assessment of how things will change.

If you were really concerned with getting into the truck after the lift, then look into AMP Research power drop steps:
Ford F150 Super Cab / Super Crew - 2004 thru 2008 Availability: In Stock - Free Shipping AMP Research Power Step Kit - ElectricStep - AMP Research In-Stock Shipping Center
They drop when a door is opened, and fold when the door is closed.
thanks chandler.ill have to go to the truck and think about how much that would raise and mock getting in with the change... I already have the runner boards on mine (non-folding) so i really dont want to spend more money on new ones. I will get a lift that I can just "jump" into. I dont want to be the girl with the big truck that cant get in on her own. hahah im 5'5''.anywho, that helped me get a better concept of how the lift will effect the truck. hmmm now i just need to decide and make up my mind already. Thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Does your front yard have a curb separating the yard from the street? Most residential curbs are 6-8" tall. So you could in theory park the truck in your yard, parallel with the curb, then step down onto the street level and see what that gives you.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Does your front yard have a curb separating the yard from the street? Most residential curbs are 6-8" tall. So you could in theory park the truck in your yard, parallel with the curb, then step down onto the street level and see what that gives you.
your so clever!!!! I will have to try that. I just measured 6 inches up from my runner board and basically it would be like stepping up into my truck without a runner board. I still like the curb idea though because then i can use the runner board and get the real feel. I currently am wearing a "boot" on my foot because of a chipped ankle bone so I think ill delay trying that but GREAT idea. I don't know what I would do without you and all your useful knowledge and tricks. Thank you!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, and girl! I know I am arriving rather late to this party, but thought I would throw in my two cents. I think it's Jodi, right? Anyway, as far as your concerns with wheeling in CO and the need for a lift goes, it's in no way necessary. I grew up in CO(and hope to be back soon!), and have done a LOT of wheeling in the RM's. Most of which was spent in a '99 chevy 1500. The overall ground clearance of that truck and your 150 are pretty similar. The biggest difference is in the "entrance" and "exit" clearance. The chevy's are notorious for having low front ends, making it quite a bit more difficult to wheel. That being said, it really has everything to do with how you drive it, and not what you're driving(for the most part of course). Part of the problem with going with a large lift is changing your center of gravity. Most serious jeep guys are only running a 4 inch lift, but with BIG tires. This gives them the ground clearance they want without making their rigs too wheeble whobbly on the trails. The only way to truely gain more all over ground clearance is bigger tires, the suspension lift just allows you to do that.

So...onto the lift. You saying that you are short, you will be jumping into your truck whether it is 4 inches higher, or 6 inches higher. Just depends on how much you want to jump. Also, you will need to measure a bit more than 6 inches, because your tire will put you up another inch or so, depending on the size. May not sound like much, but it can be fairly significant in reality. Your truck will look great no matter what lift you go with, and it looks great without a lift as it sits, IMO. It all comes down to what you really want out of your truck, and how much you are willing to spend to get it.

I just posted this and realized how long it ways, thought I would throw in an apology for that. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
Hey guys, and girl! I know I am arriving rather late to this party, but thought I would throw in my two cents. I think it's Jodi, right? Anyway, as far as your concerns with wheeling in CO and the need for a lift goes, it's in no way necessary. I grew up in CO(and hope to be back soon!), and have done a LOT of wheeling in the RM's. Most of which was spent in a '99 chevy 1500. The overall ground clearance of that truck and your 150 are pretty similar. The biggest difference is in the "entrance" and "exit" clearance. The chevy's are notorious for having low front ends, making it quite a bit more difficult to wheel. That being said, it really has everything to do with how you drive it, and not what you're driving(for the most part of course). Part of the problem with going with a large lift is changing your center of gravity. Most serious jeep guys are only running a 4 inch lift, but with BIG tires. This gives them the ground clearance they want without making their rigs too wheeble whobbly on the trails. The only way to truely gain more all over ground clearance is bigger tires, the suspension lift just allows you to do that.

So...onto the lift. You saying that you are short, you will be jumping into your truck whether it is 4 inches higher, or 6 inches higher. Just depends on how much you want to jump. Also, you will need to measure a bit more than 6 inches, because your tire will put you up another inch or so, depending on the size. May not sound like much, but it can be fairly significant in reality. Your truck will look great no matter what lift you go with, and it looks great without a lift as it sits, IMO. It all comes down to what you really want out of your truck, and how much you are willing to spend to get it.

I just posted this and realized how long it ways, thought I would throw in an apology for that. Good luck!
your never to late and thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I will be fine with the four inch lift but if I get the six inch lift it will be more of a jump/stretch for myself. I just love the look of the 6inch with 35 tires. but i know its not necessary. 4 would be the smarter way to go but I don't want to end up with the 4 and then regret not having that extra height. decisions, decisions! it will still be a bit before I do it since I have to save money but I'm definitely looking forward to it. my other pronblem, as i am sure you read was parking. I know the 4 inch i can most likely fit into the garage but the 6 inch I am sure I wont be able to. the clearance is 6'10''. i hit all the signs now with the antenna as i leave. ugh. since your from good ol' CO do you have any recommended places to take the truck for some off roading. something not to hard but fun since I am a beginner, preferably within two hours of Denver? i have had a lot of people tell me that its going to be hard to find places to take it since it has a lot more length than a jeep and it wont clear a lot of switch backs....but i know there are several I can find. Thanks!!!

Jodi

Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
There are LOTS of places that you can go! If nothing else, all the old forest roads are a lot of fun just to get the truck a little dirty on a back road, as my good friend Rodney Atkins has recently suggested. If you grab a "Gazetteer", it shows all the forest roads up in the mountains. A lot of these are quickly accessed off of main highways, and aren't too complicated. Part of the fun is just finding these places and exploring. The Gazetteer is GREAT for that. I think I got mine from a barnes and noble or something.

Back to the lift...there are other issues you will run into when looking at the bigger lift. With the bigger lift, you are getting into bigger tires. Bigger tires means you are working your truck more. Depending on the gears you have, they may not be as well suited to the task as could be. At that point you are looking at a lot more money to really get the truck where it needs to be. None of this is totally necessary, but you could run into problems sooner than you typically would. You will need to be much more on top of fluid levels and changes, and a whole slew of other things. Just more to mull around in your head, haha.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Just out of curiosity, what is your budget on this project?

-rockstate

Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
There are LOTS of places that you can go! If nothing else, all the old forest roads are a lot of fun just to get the truck a little dirty on a back road, as my good friend Rodney Atkins has recently suggested. If you grab a "Gazetteer", it shows all the forest roads up in the mountains. A lot of these are quickly accessed off of main highways, and aren't too complicated. Part of the fun is just finding these places and exploring. The Gazetteer is GREAT for that. I think I got mine from a barnes and noble or something.

Back to the lift...there are other issues you will run into when looking at the bigger lift. With the bigger lift, you are getting into bigger tires. Bigger tires means you are working your truck more. Depending on the gears you have, they may not be as well suited to the task as could be. At that point you are looking at a lot more money to really get the truck where it needs to be. None of this is totally necessary, but you could run into problems sooner than you typically would. You will need to be much more on top of fluid levels and changes, and a whole slew of other things. Just more to mull around in your head, haha.
Gotta love the Mr. Rodney Atkins!!! i will defiitly look into getting a Gazettee. but before i head out I just need to find some people wanting to go adventuring with me haha...unfortunately all my friends are to girly for it and are saying no they wont go and the guys cant find time. sigh (their loss)... but I will drag someone with me, kicking and screaming!!! ekk cant wait to get it covered in dirt!!!!!!

i have though about those issues as well. I think my truck would handle the lift ok but they are all great tips of advice to think about and keep in the back of my mind as I decide. Thanks!!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Originally Posted by rockstate45
Just out of curiosity, what is your budget on this project?

-rockstate
way too much hahaah. I know the lift is going to cost around 2000 plus the new tires so im guessing and saving around 3000.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Tires are probably going to end up being significantly more than a grand if you are going with the 35's. I would say you are going to be looking at over 300/tire for 35's. That being said, if you REALLY want the 6 inch lift, then you should get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lift kit questions