1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help.... Need '59 f100 cab advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Rat1227
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.... Need '59 f100 cab advice

Well I did it! Bought a 1959 F100 which is about 90% complete

Great..... As a Newbie I need some help and advice... The mechanics I am OK with but the scary bodywork stuff......Hmmm

Front body panels (inner and outer) and bed and frame are fine and I knew I would have to replace the doors ....

BUT main problem is that the cab is in worse shape than I thought...Needs at least the floor replaced and braced the firewall patched.

Given my welding skills (non existent) I am wondering if I'd be sensible finding a better cab so I can get the restoration under way.

I'm sure anyone who knew welding could fix the cab no problem... it is solid everywhere except the floor at front right floor and front corners.

Anyone got a 59 F100 custom cab lying around?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you can find a better cab then that is the easiest and quickest approach to take.

but unless you find a cab from a drier local, then most cabs you are going to find are going to have the same or worst rust issues. those cabs are notorious for rotting the floors at the firewall area, also the cab corners, cab supports, running boards and at the pillar supports. so finding one that is in better shape then yours might be pretty tough to find depending on where you are from.

good part is that the aftermarket is offering more and more patch panels every year for these years of Fridges. complete floor panels are available along with cab supports, etc.

in the end it is your choice which way to proceed.

rgds
Mike

Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 PM
kjdungan
Senior User
The '57 - '60 cabs are the same. Helps to open your options. If you are changing the cab keep the glove box door from the original (vin plate) to put in the new cab. This should keep all your numbers matching.

Good luck on which ever direction you choose. From what I have previously priced a different cab was the cheaper choice for me.

Keli

Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 AM
jasonnilsson
Junior User
McdonaldM, do you know where you can get the complete floor panels? I know of a place to get the front sections but not the whole thing..
Thanks