6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New truck, antifreeze leak

Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
bigeazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak on Drivers Side

Hi Everyone

I am new to the 250 club and the Site. My wife and I just bought a 2012 with 41k on it and got the ESP, we havent had it 30 days and noticed a antifreeze smell and a three inch spot in the garage. Took it to the dealer the other day and they tell me that it is a over flow hose and it is going to cost $480 to fix.
He also told me the ESP doesn't cover Hoses. I have read this thread and kinda have gotten scared this is going to be a on going problem with the Rads. in this truck. Has anyone else had problems with hoses failing after that few of miles?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,926 Likes on 2,178 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on purchasing a wonderful truck. I have not heard of hoses failing. I am also not aware of a hose that would cost $480 to repair, but I'm not an expert. I'd encourage you to have another Ford dealer give you an estimate. That seems to be enough to wonder if they are giving you a legit estimate or not.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
bigeazy
New User
Thanks SavageNFS

That is funny you say that cause I called the salesman I bought it from after
the tech told me how much it was going to cost and they magically were able to drop it to $140. Thanks for you input! getting the diesel in the first place was scary then to have that in the first month, doesn't help!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,926 Likes on 2,178 Posts
Wow...I'd be very careful going back there in the future. Try to screw me once, shame on you. Try it a second time...shame on me.

Glad it worked out tough...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM
bigeazy
New User
Oh I agree 100%

I guess I need to read up on the ESP so I know everything that it covers.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM
gengiant
New User
Hia all,

I'm new to the diesel club and appreciate all the knowledge on this site. I owned my 2000 F250 V10 4x4 until recently, when I sold it and bought a 2012 F450 4x4 with under 32,000 miles on it. Really haven't any problems with it at all, other than when I first received the truck I noticed that the coolant in the primary tank was very low. Took 1.5 gallons (!!!) to bring it to the cool fill level. Last weekend I hauled a 10,000# trailer for maybe 130 miles and now the coolant is low again. ))-: Speaking with the previous owner of the truck, I was told that it had been in service before for the same problem. I unfortunately do not know any details about what got fixed. Anyway, I'll be taking the truck to the local dealer (who I unfortunately despise, but have no other choice to use) - I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers!

Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Same Problem

Originally Posted by gengiant
Hia all,

I'm new to the diesel club and appreciate all the knowledge on this site. I owned my 2000 F250 V10 4x4 until recently, when I sold it and bought a 2012 F450 4x4 with under 32,000 miles on it. Really haven't any problems with it at all, other than when I first received the truck I noticed that the coolant in the primary tank was very low. Took 1.5 gallons (!!!) to bring it to the cool fill level. Last weekend I hauled a 10,000# trailer for maybe 130 miles and now the coolant is low again. ))-: Speaking with the previous owner of the truck, I was told that it had been in service before for the same problem. I unfortunately do not know any details about what got fixed. Anyway, I'll be taking the truck to the local dealer (who I unfortunately despise, but have no other choice to use) - I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers!

I had the same problem, as the tech had to put one gallon of antifreeze into the primary tank. Another tech pressurized the system and found a water pump leaking. It was hard to locate the leak. The pump was replaced.
Let us know what you found out

Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM
gengiant
New User
Argh! Got the "dreaded" call from the service department yesterday afternoon, telling me that they can't find the problem. ))-: Supposedly, the coolant system passed the pressure test. Anyone with any thoughts on what might be going on here? I certainly wasn't dreaming when I had to dump 1.5 gallons of EXPENSIVE Powerstroke coolant (50/50 mix) into the primary coolant tank the first time and then another 1/2 gallon a couple of weeks later. There is no wet spot beneath the truck at all, so I have no clue as to what might be happening. Could it be that the system wasn't purged correctly the last time this truck was in for the same mysterious disappearing coolant issue?

Last edited by gengiant; 09-19-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling... (-:
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
gengiant
New User
Surprise, surprise! Completed a 500-mile trip towing my camper last weekend and never had the primary coolant level drop. At this stage, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what might be (or have been) going on. Could it be that there was some air in the system that had to work its way out over time? I certainly wasn't dreaming when I had to add all that coolant.... I suppose I'll keep monitoring the coolant level VERY regularly to see, if there really is a problem. Too weird!!

Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
I just bought a 2012 6.7 it has 53,000and guess what? the Radiator leaks from the front drivers side. I am not sure if any of you have had any luck getting any of the costs covered by ford, If you have can you please tell me what I can do to do the same. thanks

Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 PM
gengiant
New User
Originally Posted by BrodyUSMC
I just bought a 2012 6.7 it has 53,000and guess what? the Radiator leaks from the front drivers side. I am not sure if any of you have had any luck getting any of the costs covered by ford, If you have can you please tell me what I can do to do the same. thanks

Good luck, but unless you have an extended warranty, my guess is that you'll be s.o.l. re getting Ford to cover the costs.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
thats what I figured

Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 871 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by BrodyUSMC
Search the forums on this site for user FordService(or something close to that). Ford reps hang out here, namely Crystal. Through her, I was able to have Ford cover all but $100 deductible for the common radiator repair. I was out of my 3/36K warranty too.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Known Problem

This is a know problem.. If the dealer not willing to work with you contract Crystal Ford-Rep on this site. Many people have had ford help covering this out of warranty repair. But if it was Me I would go with a all aluminum new Radiator from - www.mishimoto.com. I hate repeat issues.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 PM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
Originally Posted by djousma
Search the forums on this site for user FordService(or something close to that). Ford reps hang out here, namely Crystal. Through her, I was able to have Ford cover all but $100 deductible for the common radiator repair. I was out of my 3/36K warranty too.
I cant PM anybody since Ihavent been a menber for 10 days so maybe she will see this and contact me if she does, if not I will wait 9 more days

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New truck, antifreeze leak