**ALL WELDERS MUST READ THIS!!!** - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

**ALL WELDERS MUST READ THIS!!!**

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

**ALL WELDERS MUST READ THIS!!!**

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
volez
New User
volez is starting off with a positive reputation.
I appreciate the info-- I don't do much welding, but have seen the method described in the article.

Would never of known.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.Otahyoni has a good reputation on FTE.
I weld quite a bit and i've never heard that. I'm glad i saw this thread!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Longdistancetrucker
Senior User
Longdistancetrucker is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks for posting

Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
385seriesHemi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey Ford Six, we should make this a Pinned or 'sticky' thread at the top of the garage/workshop forum here. Kinda like a read first type of deal.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 PM
732t37
Elder User
732t37 has a good reputation on FTE.732t37 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have worked with brake cleaner for years and was not aware of this. Thanks to the OP for putting it up, even if it's been mentioned before.

I use a product called "Non-Chlorinated BC", anyone know if that stuff reacts the same way as regular BC?

And I'm sure that if it doesn't, there are equally bad side effects that could result from its use. Not sure what they are and I don't intend to find out through experience.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:55 AM
monckywrench
Posting Guru
monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
Use adequate ventilation and INSPECT so there's no solvent left to cause problems no matter what you use.

Use resources like welding forums if curious about a process or anything else you've not worked with before.

Miller Welding Discussion Forums

http://weldingweb.com/index.php

Weld Talk Message Board and Online Forum - Hobart Welders

PPE is your friend. Wear it, maintain it properly, and remind others to do so.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
ford_skidoo51
New User
ford_skidoo51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, thanks for posting this. This is a reality check to make sure to always have proper ventilation and use the best safety procedures when welding almost anything.

Thanks again for posting that.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Getsome68
Junior User
Getsome68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I remember when he posted what happened on another site that I go to a lot and more then a few people were shocked at what almost killed him. I was justing thinking about this yesterday when I was welding my bench grinder stand. For what I'm welding it doesn't have to be spotless and oil free but I always rmember his post.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Stinky7-11
Elder User
Stinky7-11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great info! I will remember

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
slimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputationslimbo13 has a superb reputation
when we were kids 15 16 me and a couple buddies not knowing how brake fluid burned ended up burning an alleged mafia (trash hauling business) man's double decker bus

Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
While I never intend to weld but having once been a welding inspector (visual only, not integrity-related) this is a very fascinating and informative bit of safety advice. Will fully agree regardless its age its still pertinent and valuable as a reminder or forewarning

Originally Posted by khadma View Post
....fumes are almost odorless, but very dangerous.
Another ^^^ vital contribution even though I edited a bit of the original comment. Fumes of any sort are potentially dangerous, whether their odor is noticeable to life forms. Something thought to be odorless still has a huge potential for causing ill effects or general safety hazards such as combustion.

Welding is a technology that needs to be better understood, its safety practices followed very carefully even by the most casual or infrequent users.

Good post!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 AM
MNBen
Freshman User
MNBen is starting off with a positive reputation.
WOW I never learned that in welding class....26 years ago. Thanks for the post!

Old 12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
E450 newbie
Junior User
E450 newbie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had never heard of this either. I weld quite a bit. Thanx for this being posted. Just happen to run across it. On thing for sue though is I never buy chlorinated brake cleaner. Always use the non chlorinated.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:28 PM
BlueOvalMH
Junior User
BlueOvalMH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for this post!

I do a fair amount of welding and never knew that brake cleaner could be so toxic. I just purchased a new Miller Dynasty 210 and am about to start teaching myself how to Tig.

Thank you again for such an informative post.

Mike

Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 AM
Yusuf125
New User
Yusuf125 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old articles.

Originally Posted by jcardwell3rd View Post
Yup, I realise it is not new info, but it could be new to somebody out there. Sorry for the repost...
Its a first for me ;-). I appreciate the reminder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **ALL WELDERS MUST READ THIS!!!**

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.